Official Dragon Ball Movie Trailer!

Zombie

oh god dammit, I thought this was DBZ too...MAN there goes my hopes and dreams.

you guys are right, dragonball was a different kind of show that I really didn't care for...sigh

(ok, go ahead and crucify me now; I hope they make a sequel and it's Z related)

I'm pretty much expecting Vegeta to show up at the end as a cameo to hint towards a sequel. Granted if this one pulls enough money to have that happen is a different matter.

That was awesome, def more true to the series!

I'm actually surprised how good that was, I mean when you seriously convert dragonball to a movie with all the high speed, flying monsters and kamahamaha waves, you think it won't work, but I bet that a movie with scenes like that with better music, effects, and less comedy... that would be sick man, that is what I personally would like to see, not a matrix rip-off.

• 2 months later...
I was fine with the trailer on Kotaku right up until the very end. Then they had to go and say a subtitle for the movie.

Oh well, I spose it's better than Dragonball: Chow Yun Fat has no Beard or Dragonball: The Search for Curly's Gold.

I agree whole heartedly. It didn't come off as AWFUL to me until the "EVOLUTION" What in the hell is that shit.

I will never understand you people. You will hate something just because it isn't the original. I like the new star wars movies. I even like the new animated episodes. It's a great production and I like it because of what it is, not because of what it is supposed to be in the mind of the fanboys. Same goes with "The Count of Monte Cristo." Some people hated the movie because it wasn't the same as the book. I read the book and still liked the movie for what it is. If/when I watch this movie, I will either like it or hate it without comparison to the original show.

I will never understand you people. You will hate something just because it isn't the original. I like the new star wars movies. I even like the new animated episodes. It's a great production and I like it because of what it is, not because of what it is supposed to be in the mind of the fanboys. Same goes with "The Count of Monte Cristo." Some people hated the movie because it wasn't the same as the book. I read the book and still liked the movie for what it is. If/when I watch this movie, I will either like it or hate it without comparison to the original show.

There's making alterations to an adaptation for the sake of making it work better in a different media and then there's movies like this where the producers are the kind of people who wipe their ass and then blow their nose on the same square of toilet paper.

I will never understand you people. You will hate something just because it isn't the original.

Yes, changes have to be made if you want a story to translate properly between two different media. And those changes can significantly improve the resulting product.

I don't think that is the case here.

I understand what you are trying to express, and it's a legitimate complaint, but I don't think negative reactions to the trailer are just knee-jerk purist whining. I've never seen a full DBZ episode, but I know the trailer looked awful to me and I can't imagine fans are impressed either.

The thing about THIS movie (judging by the previews), is that if they had have just called all the characters by new original names, called the dragonballs something like... mythic orbs, and renamed it to something like... Ailstone, no one would be the wiser that it had any similarity at all to dragonball whatsoever. Which kind of makes it look like their using the "Dragonball" name just to rake in money. Not because they like the concept of anything in the story. Which is NOT okay, on many levels.

Edit: And what sephfire just said.

The thing about THIS movie (judging by the previews), is that if they had have just called all the characters by new original names, called the dragonballs something like... mythic orbs, and renamed it to something like... Ailstone, no one would be the wiser that it had any similarity at all to dragonball whatsoever. Which kind of makes it look like their using the "Dragonball" name just to rake in money. Not because they like the concept of anything in the story. Which is NOT okay, on many levels.

Edit: And what sephfire just said.

I said it first! And with an image inducing metaphor too!