Official Dragon Ball Movie Trailer!

Zombie

• 4 weeks later...

I saw it last night. I went into this movie knowing it was going to be extremely terrible but at least aware it'd be good for some laughs (which it was), but holy fuck was it bad. The fight scenes were probably some of the worst I've ever seen, and the acting and plot were ughhhhhhhhh. At least Chi Chi was kinda hot.

As noted above by Sinewav, Chow Yun Fat needs to return to some John Woo gangster bullet ballet! :)

I saw it last night. I went into this movie knowing it was going to be extremely terrible but at least aware it'd be good for some laughs (which it was), but holy fuck was it bad. The fight scenes were probably some of the worst I've ever seen, and the acting and plot were ughhhhhhhhh. At least Chi Chi was kinda hot.

As noted above by Sinewav, Chow Yun Fat needs to return to some John Woo gangster bullet ballet! :)

C'mon, the fight at the party was hilarious.

Also, itt Dragonball gets taken srsly

C'mon, the fight at the party was hilarious.

Also, itt Dragonball gets taken srsly

??

Oh I never said the fights weren't hilarious. In fact, the (extremely slow and wire-assisted) flying kick that Goku awkwardly does at the beginning when fighting his grandfather had my friends and I laughing pretty hard. Meh, but fights so bad they're funny get old sooner rather than later (like far before the awful Piccolo fight kicked in)--particularly for something like Dragonball. Is it out of the realm of possibility to expect a few decently choreographed fight sequences a la Yuen Woo-ping-style? Haha in this heaping pile, probably. :<

seconded. The kamehameha part was awesome too.

See, here's the problem I had with the Kamehameha part. Goku had absolutely no reason to jump toward and kind of fly at Piccolo when he used it. Used properly, the Kamehameha is a long-distance projectile attack (unless it's used for a close-range kill as it was against Cell).

The Kamehameha gave me another issue: Roshi uses it to transfer life energy to Goku. Effectively, he gives Goku a close-range Kamehameha to either his face or chest when he's nearly dead ... and it helps him. In any other Dragonball product, that Kamehameha would have killed Goku, not helped him. But DB:E's logic works differently I guess.

That's my ultimate problem with the movie (besides the horrid script and terrible acting). If you're going to make a movie based on a manga, that doesn't mean that the basic rules of the original manga don't apply. An offensive weapon, which is effectively what the Kamehameha is, is not supposed to be used as a curative or an energy transfer.

One other complaint: the Dragon. A) Where was the rest of it? B) Why didn't it talk? (actually, that's probably a good thing)

The Kamehameha gave me another issue: Roshi uses it to transfer life energy to Goku. Effectively, he gives Goku a close-range Kamehameha to either his face or chest when he's nearly dead ... and it helps him. In any other Dragonball product, that Kamehameha would have killed Goku, not helped him. But DB:E's logic works differently I guess.

That was kamehameha CPR. He restarted his heart by shocking his system. If you listen closely he says "The pain is good" or something like that, right after he does it.

All in all I wasn't dissapointed like I thought I would be. Maybe I was just expecting utter crap after seeing Street Fighter, but DBE was actually pretty refreshing to watch. It was cheesy, but you know... its Dragonball, I'm not looking for Shakespeare here.

As a person who watched like 5 episodes of DBZ when I was fifteen and thought it was really dumb and quit, that trailer looked exactly like what I would have imagined a live-action dragonball movie would look like. What were you guys expecting?

I'd actually much rather watch that movie than more episodes of the show. It probably benefits from not stretching out one fight across 2 hours.

(besides the horrid script and terrible acting)

I'm gonna go ahead and posit that the cheesy script and acting was intentional, as Marsters, Chow Yun Fat, and Rossum are all good actors and wouldn't be bad like that if it wasn't intentional. It was based off a cheesy anime, of course it's gonna be cheesy.

One other complaint: the Dragon. A) Where was the rest of it? B) Why didn't it talk? (actually, that's probably a good thing)
A. I almost yelled out "It's too short!!!" in the theatre.

B. Yes, it is a good thing that it didn't talk.

I'm gonna go ahead and posit that the cheesy script and acting was intentional, as Marsters, Chow Yun Fat, and Rossum are all good actors and wouldn't be bad like that if it wasn't intentional. It was based off a cheesy anime, of course it's gonna be cheesy.

It's funny you brought those three up. My friends and I were kind of indifferent on Rossum's performance, but we actually all enjoyed Marsters' and Chow Yun Fat's performances. Marsters in particular needed more screen time, as I felt that a more developed version of his portrayal of Piccolo could have been really good.

The Kamehameha should not at all have been used to rejuvinate Goku. In theory, the Kamehameha is the signature offensive weapon of goku, and he uses it to light candles..........and get healed?

Quick Question, the black guy who is one of the gods, is that actually kami?

I actually kinda liked it. They hit all the major points really; Kame touched Bulma's ass, Chi Chi threatened goku, kinda giant monkey, massive Kamehameha. They didn't shit all over too many plot points, and they left open the whole saiyan door for sequels.

If you haven't seen it yet, go in expecting a hollywood rape being as bad as possible, and just laugh. I definitely wouldn't say that its a "good" movie, but I enjoyed it!

See, here's the problem I had with the Kamehameha part. Goku had absolutely no reason to jump toward and kind of fly at Piccolo when he used it. Used properly, the Kamehameha is a long-distance projectile attack (unless it's used for a close-range kill as it was against Cell).

That's my ultimate problem with the movie (besides the horrid script and terrible acting). If you're going to make a movie based on a manga, that doesn't mean that the basic rules of the original manga don't apply. An offensive weapon, which is effectively what the Kamehameha is, is not supposed to be used as a curative or an energy transfer.

Oh dear, can't believe I'm arguing this particular point, BUT:

All attacks - IRL and made-up - come down to energy transfer.

If I punch you in the face, I'm transferring kinetic energy from the ground, up through my legs to my shoulder, down my arm and into your jaw. That's it - energy transference.

Kamehameha does the same thing.

... excuse me while I hang myself for even arguing this.

Oh dear, can't believe I'm arguing this particular point, BUT:

All attacks - IRL and made-up - come down to energy transfer.

If I punch you in the face, I'm transferring kinetic energy from the ground, up through my legs to my shoulder, down my arm and into your jaw. That's it - energy transference.

Kamehameha does the same thing.

... excuse me while I hang myself for even arguing this.

Assuming you haven't hung yourself yet, I'd like to point out that from a physics perspective, you're absolutely right (I assume; never took physics in high school or college). My notion of energy transfer in my quote was not physics-based, though. Using your example, if you punch me in the face (which we'll use as a substitute for a Kamehameha because we're talking about reality), you're right that it would transfer energy, but your punch would not put energy into my body in such a manner that it would have a healing effect on me. The same applies to a Kamehameha: it's a long-distance punch using something other than a fist, and it does transfer "energy," but it does not "energize" the target.

Wow. I'm so ashamed to be arguing this. You want to get together and have a hanging party?