Metroid fan-games

purplecowadoom

You mean this..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoKMZXnsF4k

I'd get both either way as both are bound to feel quite different from each other...

Good point. Now we just need Nintendo to remake all the old 2d games Metroid Prime style and vice versa, and we'll be all set! (Let the debates and flaming begin!)

I actually started a debate about this a few years ago on the gamefaqs forums, and noone agreed with me that it was doable. Particularly for Metroid Fusion, which I found even stranger.

Ha, I just posted a thread about these elsewhere. I've been watching both of these with great interest. I think they're both extremely impressive for just being games one guy is working on. I think they will balance each other out. They look very professional and they look like they'll have really slick control based on what their respective blogs have been saying. I also really like that AM2R is focusing on the Zero Mission style of graphics while SR388 has the Super Metroid style. That will really make them different if nothing else will.

News on their progress:

An updated and vastly improved demo of the AM2R comes on Oct. 13

and the first playable demo of SR388 comes on Nov. 01

What's more, the official SR388 site is now online (as of today) and is here: http://metroidsr388.com/

I'm sorry, but I can't resist another chance to plug this amazing game:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JudgeSpear2

This guy and his team are making an amazing collaboration of platformers. One playable character just so happens to be Samus, and I know there's going to be 1-3 levels based off of Metroid games. It's slightly related, right?

Okay. I'll give you that one. It does look good. I think I may have gotten to play the demo for it too. Must've forgotten the name or something...

The problem with MP2D is that they decided to completely scrap all the progress they made and start from the ground-up with a new engine. Which means in all likelihood it will never be finished. Plus, I think AM2R and SR388 look much better these days anyway because they don't insist on drawing ALL their own graphics.

The problem with MP2D is that they decided to completely scrap all the progress they made and start from the ground-up with a new engine. Which means in all likelihood it will never be finished. Plus, I think AM2R and SR388 look much better these days anyway because they don't insist on drawing ALL their own graphics.

Yeah. Not that a lot of their original sprite work isn't great, but being that their original excuse for making them was copyright infringement, and they're where already doing that (from their perspective), there really wasn't any point to it aside from originality itself. I think they probably should've started off with the engine they plan to use now, not how they ended up doing it.

Anyone remember Isolation?

I think Prophecy made the music for it, can't remember who else was involved... It wasn't a full remake, but was a similar platform meant to be used for something else, I think.

Ha, wow, people remember it! Funny this came up now, because I've actually been working on it again in the past few weeks. It's coming along excellently; I'm using Game Maker this time around instead of C, and I've already gotten further into the project than the final build of the old version. It's just a standalone game that plays like the 2D Metroids, it's not a remake or anything. Prophecy isn't helping anymore, but I've had a lot more practice in both programming and composition, so we'll see how that goes. I'll make a thread about it here when I get to the point where I actually want to show other people. Without getting too far into it, I've already got flamethrower and gravity grenades done, along with a functioning ecosystem (creatures get hungry, sleep, etc) and day / night cycles.