Metroid fan-games

purplecowadoom

Ha, wow, people remember it! Funny this came up now, because I've actually been working on it again in the past few weeks. It's coming along excellently; I'm using Game Maker this time around instead of C, and I've already gotten further into the project than the final build of the old version. It's just a standalone game that plays like the 2D Metroids, it's not a remake or anything. Prophecy isn't helping anymore, but I've had a lot more practice in both programming and composition, so we'll see how that goes. I'll make a thread about it here when I get to the point where I actually want to show other people. Without getting too far into it, I've already got flamethrower and gravity grenades done, along with a functioning ecosystem (creatures get hungry, sleep, etc) and day / night cycles.

NICE!

Man I can't wait. I remember following this back in the old days. You should set up some kind of little development blog or something like the Metroid games have.

I might be down to make some music for this, depending on how it's coming (and if you actually need someone else for a few tracks).

NICE!

Man I can't wait. I remember following this back in the old days. You should set up some kind of little development blog or something like the Metroid games have.

I might be down to make some music for this, depending on how it's coming (and if you actually need someone else for a few tracks).

Yeah, music help could be awesome. We can talk about it once I get a thread going, but I'd like to involve some OCRers with the soundtrack.

I got 17 out of 20, and I really searched :(

I also found Spring Ball, and I think I missed 2 missile exp and 1 SM exp.

Really fun game, and really looking forward for the real deal.

BTW is there a way to get the engine so I could make my own metroid, w/o making the engine on my own?

Unfortunately no - during the development of Confrontation he asked if people would want him to make the game moddable and the answer was split. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because the mods he was considering allowing would just be to change the graphics and soundtrack and things like that if you want - not the level design.

Unfortunately no - during the development of Confrontation he asked if people would want him to make the game moddable and the answer was split. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because the mods he was considering allowing would just be to change the graphics and soundtrack and things like that if you want - not the level design.

But then again, if you really (and I mean really really badly) just have to make your own game with his engine, you could always get a hex editor. I think that's waaaaayyy too much work though.

Or he could just release the source code and let us figure it out himself.

(On that note and off-topic: did Pixel ever make the source code for Cave Story publicly available?)

But he said that he wasn't doing that so a hex editor is about the only way you're going to get anywhere with it. And that's assuming that the person using the editor knows which strings of hex code they're looking for or even what hex code is, which most probably don't.

And I have no idea what Cave Story is so I can help right off the bat. Enlighten me please!

That am2r demo is fun, but i think they need to do something about limiting the number of shots onscreen at a time.

RAPID FIRE!!

I must have unloaded all 60 of my missiles into Ridley in less than 10 seconds, that's ten missiles a second there.

I'm also a bit annoyed how the morph ball bombs are aligned to some sort of grid, so in some situations the bombs are not placed directly under you and you go off at an angle. Also, your momentum gets killed when you try to go into a morph ball in mid air... not sure if that's a big or a feature though.

But other than that, this is a top notch game/demo, and I'm exited(sp?) to see the final game.

RAPID FIRE!!

I thought the infinite shots on the screen was a nice feature, but I didn't realize you could shoot as fast as wanted! Sounds game-breaking.

Also, your momentum gets killed when you try to go into a morph ball in mid air... not sure if that's a big or a feature though.

Definitely not a big.

But on the topic of bugs: with the vsync option turned on, the game would slow down to a crawl whenever the screen scrolls in certain rooms.

Finally played the Confrontation demo. 18/20, no deaths. I had 80 missiles, 4 super missiles, the speed booster, spazer beam, hi jump, spider ball, spring ball, and 2 E tanks. But that's only 17 things, so either I had 90 missiles or something else that I'm forgetting. I wonder what the other two are though.

Edit: oh, I forgot that you don't start with bombs. That's the other one, heh.

But on the topic of bugs: with the vsync option turned on, the game would slow down to a crawl whenever the screen scrolls in certain rooms.

I think that's not so much a bug - the game does (and the final game probably will as well) have surprisingly high system requirements for what it is. Maybe yours was just having some trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
It's Zero Mission (GBA) style mid-air morphing, and done on purpose. Super Metroid is the only one where mid-air morphing DOESN'T kill your momentum.

Yes indeedy! I think a lot of us like having the extra speed though. Speaking of Super Metroid, I'm currently playing a jillion or so different hacks for it to pass time waiting for the new stuff. Here's my list of goodies and where I stand on them for those who wish to play:

Super Metroid Redesign- Stuck in Tourian. Stupid Metroids going 100mph in groups of five or so! This is where I draw the line!

Super Metroid Cliffhanger ((Easy Version)'cause I suck...)- Collected all beams, varia, springball, missiles and supers, power bombs, speed booster, and grapple. Also thoroughly lost...

Super Metroid Dependence- Thought I beat this but I guess not. People who like missiles over beams will like this hack since it takes a while to get anything other than missiles weapons-wise. Worth a play for time-killing reasons...

Super Metroid Golden Dawn- In Sky Temple(what a rip-off name!), got bored...

Super Metroid Grapple- Outside Ridley's Lair, can't get in...(Edit: Discovered that the game is essentially broken, opened up SMILE, hunted down the entrance to Ridley's Lair, and added enough grapple blocks to enter. I have now beaten it.)

Super Metroid: Zebes Returns- Beaten. Seems mostly the same as the original, but still good for time-killing. Like I had said before, the Kanden motiff on Samus initially is an eyesore, but that changes once you beat Phantoon (you can beat him first in this hack). Then you get a re-styled version of the Varia Suit that looks like an inverted Phazon Suit. Found a glitch. Certain rooms cause Samus to revert back to her normal appearance and flash back and forth between that and the hack's look every time I do something. Well, he did say this was his first hack. Can't expect much outta that!

Deathtroid- Beaten. Easier than it sounded like. Enemies are supposed to have double health but that didn't really change the difficulty for me. The only hard parts were Ridley having about 3-4 times his normal health and Metroids taking 20 missiles...so yeah.

Super Metroid Impossible- Really freakin' hard! Still managed to get down into Norfair somewhere though. I da man!

Super Metroid Legacy- Beaten. It was so close in structure to the original it started getting boring. If there had been much more to this game near the end I might not have finished this one.

Super Metroid: SFI (Search For Items)- Beaten. A little too short and easy for my tastes, but maybe that's the kind of thing some of you are looking for. Who knows...

Looking forward to Super Metroid Aegis! Can't wait to try using a Geemer as fishbait with the grapple! Now that's a hack!

All of these hacks can be found on romhacking.net (with the exception of Grapple and Zebes Returns, the download link is broken. You have to hunt down the creator's site for either of them...). Have fun guys!

New pictures from AM2R are up on the creator's blog:http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

They're showcasing Alpha Metroids(Although I'd rather see VR's Omegas...oh well)! Edit - The game is almost done! Go Doc!

• 4 weeks later...