OCR01761 - Perfect Dark "Clandestine"

djpretzel

It's been way too long since the last PD remix. Nice to see something new here. I'm pretty sure the woodwind instrument used here is also used in one or several of the TW series soundtracks, which kind of bothers me but is hardly your fault. I think this mix a little too far from the source to be truly enjoyable for me, but it's a pretty interesting piece of music on its own, if somewhat dull. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for chill music today.

Very cool processing on the percussion, and the grandiose processional feel it has really evokes some sort of futuristic military organization. Textures were great, and the woodwinds and strings sounded very nice.

Progression was steady and consistent, and though I think some staccato distorted guitar slashes would have fit in pretty nicely, this track isn't missing anything.

Though it's a little too laid back to go on my bro'ed-out workout mix, this will definitely be the theme song for my private militia once I get all the legal permits taken care of. The amount of red tape you need to go through to get your own squad of assassins is staggering!

Nice work. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not usually a big fan of the spy music genre, unless it's Harry's Metal Gear Solid scores, but the fact remains this is a very well developed piece. Respectful to the flavor of the original game. It goes places, and feels like it has something to say, which tends to be sticking point for me with a lot of jazz/chill/groove mixes. They tend to stick with one or two breakdowns and play off them for 20 minutes ad nauseum. None of that here. Solid work.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I like this a whole lot. Definitely has a lot of the game's mood locked inside it, whilst taking a much more defined, fresher approach to things. I thought the inclusion of a bit of ethnicity was pretty inspired and worked a treat with the creepy main theme. In itself, the source tune itself is hard to classify, and this mix doesn't exactly give it any more direction than it already had. The piano and stringwork do a pretty good job in extracting as much foreboding out of the piece as possible, but it's a difficult score to get overly creative with so I don't know whether this does much more than provide a much better sounding, much more consumable track with some necessary diversity and arrangement thrown in. Despite the bells and a bit of dithering, there's nothing here not present in the game itself, but I do appreciate what's here nevertheless. Solid work.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01761 - Perfect Dark "Clandestine"