Mega Man 9 'Title & Concrete Man'

wtuo

Holy shi-! One week certainly makes a difference. When I last posted, you had only really started it. Now you've made major progress on this track! The intro is longer and nicer, and the way it cuts into Concrete Jungle (that's the official name of the track you're remixing) is perfect. And the way you make the track your own is great and well-done. And it still stays true to the source track, and is right at home with the track. And using the Boss Selected (or as it is known on the OST, Game Start) as the ending? Perfect. Nearly flawless and I can't wait to hear the finished product (if this isn't the finished product already; sounds like it could be). Great job!

I think there's a definite improvement on the sound quality. If I'm hearing correctly, the guitars sound less muddy. I didn't have a problem with them before, and now they sound very good to me.

Drums feel better as well, especially kick and snare. Some other drum sounds don't sound great. The china/ride-bell (?) on the left is especially lo-fi - I actually like that sound itself, but it doesn't fit very well to the rest of the track. I feel the hi-hat is too loud and hogs up too much attention, but on the other hand it might be right for the genre. I think I've been similarly irked by the hi-hat in some commercial heavy rock/metal songs before. Can someone else confirm if it's too loud? I do like the way you use pedal hi-hat in the "weird noise" part. Lastly, when the crash cymbal hits happen in close proximity to each other, it's very obvious it's the same sample playing again. Another similar sounding crash sample might work.

The guitar on the outro sounds fairly quiet.

I didn't mention before that I like the intro quite a bit. The whole structure and pacing of the piece is very good. What a fine arrangement. I really enjoyed listening again.

hope this was of help,

--Eino

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I commented on this before, and I will say that this is one of my fav WIP's I have heard recently ;D

Well, the arrangement and playing is awesome, but the production and sample quality isn't great, which saddens me a little as this could be SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!

I am not sure whether how good you will be able to make this sound, but I have a horrible feeling that you won't be able to make this sound kick ass in the production depart with the samples and guitar distortion you have.

I suggest getting better equipment.

I think I have covered everything already thats wrong with the track, and certainly other people have. Drums have been covered on what you could use for better drums - EZ drummer.

For guitars, I suggest Guitar Rig 3, I do not have the software, but I have heard what it is capable of and it sounds great.

Like I said, the problem here is bad sound quality, I suggest you get better equipment than you are using. If you don't have the money, then save up I suggest.

Not sure what less to say - this is great, but your limited in sound quality and it shows.

Good luck in getting this sounding good dude.

I checked this out a while ago, and it's great to see such an improvement over the various versions. I only have two constructive comments:

1) In the source version for Concrete Jungle, between 0:10 and 0:11 there are 2 higher notes that play in between the lower ones which I think would be nice to hear in your version (I hope that made sense)

2) There are two sections, one of which is 1:52-2:03, which sound muffled compared to the rest of the track. Given what you've done with this song, I have to assume that this is more of an issue with whatever program you're using for samples, but if possible, de-muffling it (the epitome of my lack of knowledge of any musical technical work) might improve those sections

Otherwise, I think this is great stuff. I'm not an authority on which tracks will survive the submission process, but I think with a bit more work, we have a definite winner here. Excellent job.

Cheers for the continued comments guys, really appreciate the feedback!

1) In the source version for Concrete Jungle, between 0:10 and 0:11 there are 2 higher notes that play in between the lower ones which I think would be nice to hear in your version (I hope that made sense)

I know which part you mean, and yeah, I should get around to adding that in!

2) There are two sections, one of which is 1:52-2:03, which sound muffled compared to the rest of the track. Given what you've done with this song, I have to assume that this is more of an issue with whatever program you're using for samples, but if possible, de-muffling it (the epitome of my lack of knowledge of any musical technical work) might improve those sections

Otherwise, I think this is great stuff. I'm not an authority on which tracks will survive the submission process, but I think with a bit more work, we have a definite winner here. Excellent job.

Again, I know what you're refering to here, and I think it's a case of the poor cymbal samples mixed with the slightly less "high-frequency heavy" guitars muddying the sound a little... I'll set to work on this section next!

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought myself EZdrummer today at Music Live (and considering I play guitar, all I did was look at drum stuff... wierd), and I'm waiting til I get back to my new PC to install it, so hopefully the drums will get an over-haul!

So it took me a while to get ezDrummer working (having to change all the midi velocities by hand is a pain in the ass...), but I finally got a sample, and I cannot believe the difference it makes. I uploaded a quick mp3 of the intro section for some criticism, it definately ain't perfect but I think it's far better than previous uploads.

http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/megaman9-mix/mm9-ezdrum-introtest.mp3?attredirects=0

EDIT: OK, I think I'm done! After spending a couple hours changing every midi velocity and moving some of the sounds around I think it's about time to upload the whole thing with the new drums and the remixed guitar. It sounds MUCH better than the previous versions, and although it's far from perfect, I'm happy with it!

What made me feel kind of stupid was submitting it a month ago, but as I provided a link, I just replaced the old mp3 with the new one and considering I'm not on the currently reviewing list, and I'll just hope no-one rated the first one, and once again hope it'll get accepted! Cheers

Man, I was so excited to see a Mega Man 9 Concrete Man remix coming together I've been following the thread for a week or so... have to say I thought the final version came out great! Even signed up just to say so!

Have to ask, what kind of metadata should I add for the song in iTunes? It looks like the final title became "Concrete Fact"?

Have to say I'd love to see you do more Mega Man 9 tunes... personally I'd like to see someone tackle Galaxy Man next. :D

Yup, decided Concrete Fact should be the title... not really sure why though....

And hey, I'm up for more Mega Man 9, it'd just be finding a track to suit the treatment... I actually only just got chance to buy the full version last weekend so I'm slowly working my way through the music, and my favourite is still Concrete Man!

I am absolutely in love with what you've got here now. I've been listening since you first posted, and I love how far the track has come-- I don't really have technical commentary to make beyond the fact that I love the source material and your mix of has really come into its own and kicks ass!

keep up the great work!

Took a quick listen to your preview:

Drums could use some variations and fills. Same pattern over and over can get repetative. Also, that quick double kick to match the guitar sounds a bit weird, but I guess it's workable.

Kick feels a bit "thuddy", heavy on the low range. Up to you if you like how it is though.

Things are coming through pretty clearly overall though. One crit, though: I can hear a bass-line type thing, but it's pretty buried. It could even be some sort of acoustic guitar or even piano or something, but it's pretty far back so I can't tell. Might need to clear a bit of room in the mix for a more solid bass line.

• 2 months later...

OK, back to try again... I'm still working on developing something to get rid of the cover feel to this piece, but just produced a new mixdown with a couple new things added and a new drumkit so I think it sounds better than the last "final" version.

You can check it out at http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/megaman9-mix, it's MegaMan9-ConcreteFact.mp3 and the new one is Version 3. Any criticism is definately appreciated.

Cheers

Changes:

Drumkit is now Drumkit From Hell instead of stock ezDrummer drumkit.

Added additional notes in Concrete Jungle

Editted a lot of the drum patterns, created more variation

Added a bit of delay to the intro... not really sure it's working for me but it's in this particular render...

I'm glad you're working on this again! I loved the previous final version as well, but don't mind ongoing development.

Without comparing to a previous version, here are some comments on the areas you've done changes in:

Changes:

Drumkit is now Drumkit From Hell instead of stock ezDrummer drumkit.

Drum sound works for me.

Added additional notes in Concrete Jungle

There's the added chip lead in the 01:19- section? It jumps out a bit, especially when it plays the "fragmented" lead bits. When it first comes in it's kind of unexpected. Maybe you can try to have it "unsubmerge" rather than just appear mid-bar, fading in, using some effects.. or something. I like the writing.

Editted a lot of the drum patterns, created more variation

Drumming works for me.

Added a bit of delay to the intro... not really sure it's working for me but it's in this particular render...

Intro sounds fine. The delay is in the chip part, right? I think it's better now than if it was drier.

--Eino

There's the added chip lead in the 01:19- section? It jumps out a bit, especially when it plays the "fragmented" lead bits. When it first comes in it's kind of unexpected. Maybe you can try to have it "unsubmerge" rather than just appear mid-bar, fading in, using some effects.. or something. I like the writing.

--Eino

Yeah the 1:19 chiptune sound is the one I'm working on... I'm thinking of trying to use a deeper-textured synth or something and pan it between left and right because as it stands it's a bit too obvious.

The "unsubmerge" thing sounds like a good idea, I'll have a mess around with it in a bit and see what I can come up with...