Have you ever cried because a song was THAT good?

LuketheXjesse

A Last Illusion, from Trans-Siberian Orchestra, the last 3 minutes of the song. It's he most extraordinary rendition of the Ode to Joy I've ever heard. Also, What Child is This from the same band. Dave's mix Sunken Suite actually moved me to tears the first time I heard it. I never had any idea before hearing that song that people were DOING this with game music, music that I had so many great memories associated with.

I have also been moved to tears by so called "Christian music," not specifically just because I'm a Christian, although that has a lot to do with it, but simply because it was beautiful music and it meant a lot to me.

OH, and to top out the nerdometer, I totally teared up when I hear "Arrival at Earth" from the Transformers Score. When I saw the movie for the first time, I was utterly ignoring the actual movie. I had my eyes closed, totally locked into that piece of music. Beautiful.

Yeah, I don't normally like Christian Songs, but Our God is an Awesome God, is a pretty neat song.

I actually had to march/play that song my Junior year, the drill was horrid though, lots of box floats...

Er anyway, yes music has brought me to tears before, although more often then not it has to be paired up with something visual.

Some things just make me feel a certain way, like if I'm walking by the fountains while the school clock is chiming the hour, I tend to feel a little eerie/melancholy.

I'm sure there are songs that have brought out a few tears before, or other feelings (like feelings of so much elation and excitement I think I might burst, and feel the need to run around or something). But I can't think of any off hand.

Actually he's not. He's saying that his faith and songs about faith-related things have made him cry. He's not posting the songs because they're not really that relevant here, and would most certainly be made out to be "that thing that some religious people do" due to their lyrics and topic.

Maybe you would have, but not me. "Church" could be from any event. A wedding, a funeral, service, whatever. And even then, there's still what church, what branch of what religion he belonged to. It's like a lesbian that has to constantly mention she's a lesbian. "The other day, when I was walking down the street, this car drove by. Now, as a lesbian..." is effectively what it comes off as. It's a personal peeve, nothing else. I don't give a flying fuck that he's god God or whatever. He doesn't have to bring it up when there's no real need to. If this was a topic about Korean newspaper ink usage, and he said "As a black man..." I would still have asked why that matters. It's not really relevant.

You're just being an ass trying to subtly ridicule him and his faith. Yes he could have said it another way, but so could you, in a way that wouldn't demean him and his faith.

What did I say demeaning him or his faith? I never said it was wrong, or obscene or false or anything. I don't see one insult or slur against him at all. The only thing I said was that some, some, members of religion like to mention their religion when it's not relevant to the discussion at hand. That's not an attack, that's an opinion. That is hardly n attack.

Oh, for the record, I like that Gregorian choir music. Guess what they sing about. Guess it's not an attack on his beliefs, huh?

If you want to see what an attack on a person looks like, and what an ass looks like, read you own post again and look in a mirror.

Nope, still can't think of one song. A movie, yeah, but a song, no.

When did this turn into a question of religion? o_0 I am a strong believer in Jesus Christ and...er, I've never actually cried at a Christian song. This is how I look at it:

Christian music is mainly for praise and worship, it's not really about the music itself, you know? The actual worship part might move you, or maybe the lyrics in some way, those could make you remember your sins or remember what Jesus did for you. But the musical qualities do not move me, they don't really innovate, you know? I don't really listen to Christian music unless I feel like I need to praise God.

Are you one of the people that we see in the commercials for that compliation of christian music that goes to the shows and waves their hands in the air, crying, and praising jesus? Cause that shit seriously scares me. Looks way too much like a cult.

Some people just do that in Church. I don't because I don't like the attention o_o

What did I say demeaning him or his faith? I never said it was wrong, or obscene or false or anything. I don't see one insult or slur against him at all. The only thing I said was that some, some, members of religion like to mention their religion when it's not relevant to the discussion at hand. That's not an attack, that's an opinion. That is hardly n attack.

He might not have necessarily brought up Christian music for that reason though.

Thin Crust is just doing that thing some religious people do. They have to mention their religion whenever they can for some reason, whether they realize it's appropriate to do so or not. It may be relevant in that music had made him cry, but he didn't meed to tell us it was because of his religion (which may be the basis for how he was moved or not).

He could have just cited the titles of certain songs, or even just said "a few songs I heard in church", but instead, he had to announce it first.

As for the topic, no. I'm dead inside, obviously.

don't be an ass, damned. he's pointing out that while he has been moved, it's a topic he doesn't feel like mentioning because no matter how tastefully they mention it (which he did, nice work thin crust) someone will feel like they're proselytizing. like yourself.

i've been moved to tears by several songs i heard in church, notably the keith getty/stuart townsend song 'in christ alone'. it was pretty much the unofficial song of the college i went to in undergrad, and everyone always sang their heart out in chapel when someone played it during worship. i still get a little stuffy singing it in church with my wife (who went to the same school as i did for undergrad).

For some reason, I'm biased against emphasis on lyrics. A song about a dog dying or a girl leaving and making one cry due to personal schema is a cheap shot, and doesn't work on me.

With that said, let me mention a very unorthodox piece. Metroid Prime 2's Mutated Emperor Ing track can make my eyes water when I fill the room with it. I love the synth choir in the background. I think that actually feeling the percussion helps, too.

Seriously, get an mp3 and crank it as loud as your system will go.

For some reason, I'm biased against emphasis on lyrics. A song about a dog dying or a girl leaving and making one cry due to personal schema is a cheap shot, and doesn't work on me.

With that said, let me mention a very unorthodox piece. Metroid Prime 2's Mutated Emperor Ing track can make my eyes water when I fill the room with it. I love the synth choir in the background.

Like I said, Christian music does lack those awesome musical qualities. Of course that's not what it's made for so I can cut it some slack there.

More extraordinary than its original context in Beethoven's 9th? Regardless, I'ma go find this and listen to it -- I'm interested in hearing what they do with it.

have you ever sang that song in context, in an ensemble large enough to make it work? i sat in front of the sopranos. all nintey of them. three pages of high As later (because no soprano, woman or boy, on the planet can sing a high A and project it over an orchestra without making it have vibrato large enough for truck parking), i was crying.

More extraordinary than its original context in Beethoven's 9th? Regardless, I'ma go find this and listen to it -- I'm interested in hearing what they do with it.

Well, speaking about Beethoven's 9th as a whole, I don't think there's been much music in the history of mankind that equals it. But TSO took the Ode to Joy and just gave it this extraordinary, raw POWER that just floors me every time I hear it. I almost think that if Beethoven had had electric guitars available, that's what HE would've done with it.

Also of note is that at the beginning of that song, he really is playing the Flight of the Bumblebee on an electric guitar, like with his hands and stuff. Mind blowingly fast. I've watched him do it live, and it's just.... WOAH.

Actually, Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Most famous for their Christmas music. The electric guitar version of the Carol of the Bells that hits the radio at Christmas every year? That's them, from back in 96. But they also did an album dedicated to Beethoven, which is where A Last Illusion came from.

True Symphonic Orchestra? I've heard of them, mainly because James LaBrie is in it ;) I've been meaning to check them out.

In response to what I said earliet, here's something with emotional musical qualities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qdqT1dkrk

It's a shame James Labrie sucks balls at singing haha. Coincidently, Dream Theater drives me to tears with their amazingness. XD

Seriousness though, I had this one experience that, while not tear producing, puts me into a strange set of consciousness. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but it was like midnight on the bow of a cruise ship. I had a full view of the ocean, with the moon shining down eerily on the horizon.

Alice In Chains was the band, the effect was encapsulating. It was an almost supernatural experience haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9JtUkeeLEk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vmQjUq21Y

The Xenogears soundtrack also had some songs in the playlist...

June Mermaid

Good god even listening to these songs now I want to tear up.