Anyone who knows Japanese willing to help me out?

Siamey

Hey guys,

Im really struggling in first year Japanese class. I've really stepped up my studying, and I'm ok at memorizing vocab, but there are no tutors available here, and really no one from my class is interested in forming a study group.

I really don't want to fail this class, infact I really want to do well enough that the teacher will give me the thumbs up for continuing next semester. Is there anyone here who knows japanese, or at least more japanese than I do, who could help me out. I really just need someone to converse with (about simple things) over msn or skype or something. I have so many questions, and I'm really lacking experience speaking.

If this sounds super tedious then I totally understand, but to me it sounds really fun, plus I really need/want to get awesome at the things we are doing in class.

We just started on katakana, and we are mostly doing small conversations about our majors and where we are from etc. Lately we got into how to negate adjectives and also how to describe things and their location and stuff like that. I'm not completely lost in class yet, but I really need to nail down these concepts, cause right now they are fluttering in the wind at the edge of my memory and comprehension, and the only way I can see that happening is if I have some good talks with someone who knows the ropes.

Im also going to try to meet with my teachers as much as possible during office hours, Ive heard thats a good way to get more experience.

If anyone can help at all, I would really appreciate it.

I'm doing first year Japanese myself. Pretty much in the same place you are as far as class progress goes. I would offer to help out but I'm hardly ever at the computer anymore.

Have you asked your teacher about getting help from native speakers? At my school (and many others) there are places where you can just sit down and a native Japanese speaker will come and converse with you to help you with your Japanese. In exchange you speak English to them to help them with their English.

I used to be picking up a little japanese in my spare time, but as you can guess, since it wasn't a class I didn't last too long, I had almost all of the hiragana characters memorized and was working on some simple words and phrases. I really like their sentence structure and particles and what not. Good luck!

I can't really dedicate time to help you out, I've got a full plate this semester, but I will recommend.

Practice writing same-sound hiragana and katakana together. This way you associate them similarly.

ex: あ and ア, い and イ, etc.

if you don't have a conversation partner I really recommend practicing writing and reading a lot.

remove yourself from romaji as soon as possible, if you haven't already.

Well I'm doing a Japanese Major, and I'm getting by pretty well, so I think I should be able to offer some advice on different areas:

- If you have trouble with remembering either type of Kana, put some time into this site (and similar ones, with flash cards and the like). If you do this for like 30 minutes a day you should be able to have both types of kana down in a few weeks.

http://www.fluxxx.org/Flash/Kanadrawer/kanaDrawer.htm

- When it comes to grammar and conversation, particles are your friend. It really helps to just sit down and learn all the different possible functions of the more important particles (が, に, で, etc.)

- If you can't find anyone to converse with, watch a lot of anime or japanese television in general. Granted, anime characters usually address each other informally, but you should be able to pick up the pronunciation of certain words, which is always a good thing.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the response!

Thanks for the tips tesla!

I'll definitely give some of you guys a shout, and also try to check out the idea about native speakers :)

Our class is using Nakama 1, but they said its the last year that they will use that text book, so who knows whats next.

I've been watching some japanese news channels on the campus cable, and I think its definitely helpful, and will be more helpful once I can keep up with their speed. I also watched some japanese tv channels online, and one of them was really hyper and 80s as hell, which was cool and unexpected.

Amazon shipped those 3 books today, so I'll be getting those soon, hopefully they will help out :)

In case anyone wants to know, they were:

1 "All About Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words (Power Japanese Series) (Kodansha's Children's Classics)"

Naoko Chino; Paperback; $10.88

1 "Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You (Power Japanese Series) (Kodansha's Children's Classics)"

Jay Rubin; Paperback; $10.88

1 "Japanese in Mangaland: Basic Japanese Course Using Manga"

Marc Bernabe; Turtleback; $16.32

The idea bout getting rid of romaji sounds good. Right now during tests I end up using it to write stuff quick before I translate it into hiragana, but I fear that if I don't get over that soon it'll bite me in the ass.

I don't know much japanese, but I do know that the three sections of writing Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji. Kanji is the most complex of the three. Hiragana, I believe, has a few more characters for particular sounds than Katakana. if I am wrong about the previous sentence, then it is vice versa.

I've studied Japanese for somewhere around 8 years. That includes the first two years of self-study, four years of college courses, and about half a year or so of studying abroad. Unfortunately, I don't have time to dedicate to help you out specifically, but I can recommend a few things based on my own experience.

"All About Particles: A Handbook of Japanese Function Words (Power Japanese Series) (Kodansha's Children's Classics)"

Naoko Chino; Paperback; $10.88

"Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You (Power Japanese Series) (Kodansha's Children's Classics)"

Jay Rubin; Paperback; $10.88

"Japanese in Mangaland: Basic Japanese Course Using Manga"

Marc Bernabe; Turtleback; $16.32

Interestingly enough, the first thing I was going to recommend was to purchase a few of the small handbooks under the Power Japanese series. I have the second book you mentioned there, and there are a lot of others that are pretty good at "filling in the gaps" if you're finding something tough to understand.

Another thing is the Power Japanese CD-ROM by Transparent Language (not affiliated with the book series--the name is coincidental). You can order it from Amazon.com; but, it works funny on newer systems (I used it back when it was designed for Win95 and 3.11). It's especially good at teaching basic sentence structure and hiragana/katakana.

I would not recommend Japanese news. It's something that I still have difficulty following. It would be more worth your while to watch variety shows (the most common kind of program on Japanese television): the dialogue is a lot closer to daily conversation, and there're frequent captions emphasizing what people are saying. Dramas also work to an extent.

Lastly, there's Mixi (http://mixi.jp/), a social networking site that a lot of folks I know studying Japanese use to converse with others. It's not the same as spoken conversation, of course, and it might be difficult to navigate if you're still at a beginning level. But you might find it useful.

Otherwise, try to find other resources at your school. Maybe there's a language lab, or some other resources the Japanese department has to connect you with more senior students or native speakers. KF

• 4 weeks later...

That's weird. When my wife tried using her hotmail address it told her that wasn't allowed and it had to be a japanese address. It was a pain to get the account activated because her Mom knows nothing about computers and had to get her son to help. We didn't try a gmail account though so maybe that's the key...