Does anyone have the license information for Squidfont?

I've scoured the internet, various soundfont forums, the OCRemix forums, and a zillion other places and I cannot for the life of me find any information on the license info for Squidfont.

I've been given the opportunity to produce some commercial tracks, and if Squidfont isn't licensed for commercial use then I won't be able to use that great samples resource.

I just can't find information on it at all.

In the event that I can't find any info I just won't use it to be safe; I know a lot of soundfonts available online are just collections from various resources that aren't licensed commercially... sure would be nice though.

Thanks.

heh. Yeah.

So just to reiterate and confirm your opinions, Squidfont should be okay for commercial use based on the fact that it's mostly a hardware based sample collection with no clear author?

Thanks guys.

Depends on your definition of 'okay'.

If those are copyrighted samples from a workstation, it's not just a 'grey area' but simply illegal, i believe. And whatever the case, do you really believe this soundfont might've been done in a totally legal fashion? Who'd have the resources to do it?

Now there are a lot more possible sources today, like e.g. those Creative Commons sample collections, but I think these haven't been around long enough. Plus you hear the hobbyist approach in them most of the time. Squidfont, however compromised the sample quality might be (even has a few screwed up loop points iirc), just sounds like it's derived from some professional source.

If that wasn't the case and there was a generous donator who just wanted to offer a freeware orchestra to everyone (while owning the rights to it), I'm sure the internet would know about it.

No one cares about you using it though. I doubt even the recording engineers/patch programmers of the original would give a shit about a soundfont rip that most likely doesn't hold a candle against the original product.

But if the legality issue is that important to you, I'm afraid chances are you'll have to skip Squidfont.

Well the thing is, apparently no one knows who the author was, and likewise, no one is really sure how it was created. And I highly doubt there's any kind of digital watermark for someone to pop up and say "HEY! WE'RE GONNA SUE YOU FOR USING OUR SAMPLE-BASED SOUNDFONT!"

I personally wouldn't worry about using it. It's advertised EVERYWHERE as being a free soundfont, so I'd say you should be fine.