Game choice?

Final_metroid

Okay, although this isn't a technical problem and more game related, i still don't think it would be orthodox to blemish the general discussion board with this little problem.

Recently, i've just discovered shadow of the colossus, and with that, i've discovered that it has a "sequel"; ICO. However, my friend turned me on to portal and HL2 (yes i know i'm incredibly behind the times), so I think i would want the orange box as well. However, ICO is a pain in the ass to find (i've gone to at least 4 different gamestops) and the only way to get it would be online. However, since the orange box is rated M, i would also need parental assistance to get that as well.

The question being, am I really missing alot by not playing ICO? Or should I just get the orange box?

While both games are excellent, the playtime per value you'll get out of the Orange Box is something that everyone here should experience. I've played more TF2 alone than most $60 games I buy -- getting HL2 (plus EP1/2) and Portal in addition to it is amazing, especially if you are yet to play through HL2 proper.

It really depends on what you want. The shits per giggle ratio of the orange box is much higher. HL2, Portal, and TF2 are incredibly fun games to play, and the online game play is awesome for both HL2 and TF2. Puzzles, humor, and Alyx Vance make the collection well work the money.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are much more artistic, more story driven and consuming. Very different then what you get in the Orange box and much more...niche?...sure that should work, much more of a niche game then Orange box contents. Depends on the style of game you want.

So i finally found ICO in a store, and it works. However, i am a bit concerned with it.

As for appearances, the disk is very strange, it looks like someone tried to "laminate" the disk and failed miserably, leaving what looks like a half-cover of hot glue glaze on the top of the disk. When i put it into my ps2 (i have a 2nd generation) the ps2 begins making ALOT of noise, loudly whirring and clicking from time to time, although the disk still does work. In addition, the bottom of the disk, although with no big scratches, is of a purple tinge instead of the silvery iridescent color i am used to.

The problem being, should i worry that this disk will blow up my ps2, or is it just a consequence of the disk being very old?

In addition, the bottom of the disk, although with no big scratches, is of a purple tinge instead of the silvery iridescent color i am used to.

That's normal. It just means the game is stored on a CD instead of a DVD.

I'm not too sure about 2nd gen PS2's but from personal experience, PS2's have trouble reading CD's after a while. An old remedy for this was to put two pieces of tape (or a CD label) on the disc to weigh it down, since CD's are lighter than DVDs. Sounds like the previous owner of your copy botched the CD label application, making the disc unstable (hence the noise).

The only consequence to your PS2 is it might damage the lens. My first PS2 started making loud noises when loading a disc, before it finally stopped reading them altogether.