OCR00332 - Radical Dreamers "The Furthest Promise"

Saunders

Radical Dreamers 'The Furthest Promise'

Tinkly piano intro, really nice, followed by what we've all come to expect from Ailsean, some great electric guitar. Not much to say except that this mix is definitely one of the betters in the Radical Dreamers flood.

Check it out, along with the rest of the Far Promise flood of Apr 21st. Collect the whole set!

• 6 months later...

I must say, I absolutely LOVE the cello that starts off the main melody in this song. The rest of it is great too, and sounds like it's from a movie soundtrack. At 0:43, there's a nice instrument that I think is supposed to be a violin, though it sounds like a single bagpipe, but don't take that as an insult - it sounds great. The marching drums fit in quite well, and the background string section is well done. A little past halfway through, it changes, to sound less sad and more hopeful, but near the end it goes back to a piano and music box version which is reminiscent and melancholy. One of the better Far Promise mixes.

• 1 month later...

This is going to be a breif review since I got to walk my dog in a minute, I really liked this mix, considering, I just woke up, and I hate music in the morning.. Anyways the beginning was absolutely amazing.. But like most songs, good beginnings usually don't last.. But when I said, " Ahh it better not go on like this!", well I was wrong, it went on and instead of Piano, it played guitar, which was unexpected, GREAT job man!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow this is really nice! I was expecting something alot more heavy coming from Ailsean but it's still quiet in a way. The breaks away from the guitar and drum are what I like.

And why the hell are there so many Radical Dreamer remixes? I've never heard of this damn game!

• 2 years later...

One of the million and one "far promise" remixes that i really can dig, even with synth guitar. Oh synth guitar, how I loathe thee..

This one is kept short, which is just as well, since there isn't a huge amount of source to work with. The piano is nice, and there is some cool panning synth in the heavier parts, but this one is showing it's age.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

The beginning gives off an epic and ambient feel, which flows decently well into the guitar section that follows. The middle of the track loses some of the haunting feel that was developed early on, which I think diminishes from the song as a whole. The ending is very nice; a great ending to go with the style of the beginning. I would have preferred that the intro and ending be a part of an epic instrumental piece, but that's just me. Overall a great song, as with most of Ailsean's work.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've always loved the source; its just so sweet/bitter/nostalgic....

As for the mix itself, it's not bad. Although, it actually sticks annoyingly close to the melody making this feeling cover-ish, imo. As for the length, if it had been a little more expansive with the arrangement it definitely would have to be longer, but, ironically, since it doesn't, the length feels strangely appropriate.

• 2 years later...

The great Radical Dreamers flood of 2001. I already reviewed Zeratul's track earlier this week, so why not another :razz:

There's some good shakeup with the chord substitution at least, which works well for the most part, but I have to say it here; the piano and strings are heavily mechanical and didn't really fit in with the soundscape (and I'm not even sure if the sharp panning of the piano was supposed to fit at the end either), and the strings were especially without any form of release so the transitions between notes felt so awkwardly jarring.

At least when the 'guitar explosion' came in, things started to get more involving; I'm admitting the texture for the synth bass was pretty cool and managed to add to a good sense of bitterness expressed towards the feel. A little undermodulated maybe, but still a neat effect.

Given the nature of the source there's only so much that could be done, so arrangement-wise I thought it was a pretty cool take on the theme. Like a lot of 2001 mixes the execution felt rather weak though, but I do know that there has been some remixer growth down the line, so it can be excused. Not going to keep a hold on it simply due to its roughening with age, but it's still alright.

• 1 year later...

Brilliant theme presented with a charming, lush-for-the-time celtic rock flavour. The elephant in the room is the aged samples, particular that very shonky electric guitar that just doesn't cut it in 2013. You'd definitely need a time machine to get the full impact of the impressive treatment given to the slight but wonderful melody.

Samples aside, its delicate attention to detail and fusing mild electronic funk into it set it apart from the other Far Promise mixes that hit the site at the same time. Great, basic structure with particularly good intro/outro... and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00332 - Radical Dreamers "The Furthest Promise"