CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 23: Aqueous Nocturne

Abadoss

Great job everyone! I also appreciated the critiques, and only feel bad that I never had time to vote. Being a new father with two jobs is a little hard on my schedule.

Blue.Nocturne: I noticed you had a problem with a chord that was a little dissonant. If only I had time to fine tune this piece. I sent it in as a pretty rough draft. It was one of those chords that sounded really great stretched out across my piano, and it didn't really translate well into strings only. I should had added some other instruments to layer the chord better.

I also appreciate the more technically-minded comments about EQ and reverb. Always helpful!

Even though I didn't get to vote, I would have voted for Maquis as the winner. That piece was excellent! Gave me chills, and fit your description very well. I read the story to my wife and then she listened to the piece and it actually brought a tear to her eye. That's good writing!

:nicework:

I also agree that there wasn't a bad egg in the basket for this theme. Great job everyone. I can't wait for the next theme (hope I'll have time) and I hope we get this much turnout next time.

Wow, thanks, everybody! I'm thrilled! This was a great field of competition, and I loved listening to everybody's work. I learned a lot by listening to these pieces at a deep enough level to evaluate them, and I also appreciate the feedback everyone gave on my humble offering. I am hoping to upgrade my samples soon - been looking at Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra; just have to figure out what level I can afford.

And, Ubernym, thanks! Glad to hear it tested so well with your focus group! :) Strangely enough, I didn't come up with the story until after I had finished the music, and I was surprised myself how well it matched up.

I really liked the sheer variety in approaches to this theme. I hope there'll be a similar turnout for the next theme, which I have just submitted to Abadoss. I'm excited for the next round!

Gaaaaaaaaah, someone was selling Symphonic Choirs on eBay (along with Colossus and Ra), but the bidding went out of my price range. :( Going to have to wait until East West finishes converting them to the PLAY engine, because they've discontinued the Kontakt versions. I'll also have to wait until I have more money...

My next purchase is probably going to be EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver, since it does include a few extras that are missing from the Gold version, and paying for the upgrade works out to a net loss of only $40 or so. Plus, I want to make sure I know how well it'll work with my current setup before I throw $600 at a new sample library.

maquis, i think i liked your piece the best but the melody, chord progression, chord voicing, and -especially- instrumentation in the opening, are all very final fantasy 7 :P

i can see a moonlit lake pretty well during the softer sections, but i feel like the song warps into something else during the huge crescendo, particularly due to the grandiosity. that makes it a bit off point for a nocturne about bodies of water, but enjoyable nonetheless.

god, entries for these competitions are always so pleasurable to listen to. this is probably the most engaging and enthralling aspect of ocremix to me.

great job everyone, congratulations to maquis for winning, and do your best to pick an inspirationally evocative next theme :)

So many people have commented on that that I'm sure it's not a fluke... but it's funny since I've never played Final Fantasy 7 before. I've listened to the Voices of the Lifestream project, and that's as close as I've gotten to the soundtrack. A friend of mine even asked if it was based on Aeris's theme, which surprised me, because I have heard the original for that, and it's really not very similar.

Ah well. There are probably worse comparisons people could make than Nobuo Uematsu. Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you like the upcoming theme.

So many people have commented on that that I'm sure it's not a fluke... but it's funny since I've never played Final Fantasy 7 before. I've listened to the Voices of the Lifestream project, and that's as close as I've gotten to the soundtrack. A friend of mine even asked if it was based on Aeris's theme, which surprised me, because I have heard the original for that, and it's really not very similar.

Ah well. There are probably worse comparisons people could make than Nobuo Uematsu. Glad you enjoyed it, and I hope you like the upcoming theme.

i guess it just goes to show that after many years, music is starSPACE THEMEting to overlap in general areas :P

it is actually not a bad comparison; yoSPACE THEMEu're being compared to the icon of vgm composers. you'd have to listen to maybe the first 10-15 songs on disc 1 of the ff7 ost; uemSPACE THEMEatsu makes heavy use of that pSPACE THEMEarticular instrumentation.. especially in ff7

and yes, i hope i like it too SPACE THEME

There seems to be a subliminal message coded into your post... I can't quite make it out...

On a completely unrelated topic, I sent in my theme on Monday. Don't know what's taking Abadoss so long. The slacker. :-P

Oh, and I took advantage of EastWest's two-for-one deal... I am now the proud owner of Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold and Goliath. Not sure if I'll be able to get it all set up and master it enough to use it in the next round, especially as final projects crash down on me. But I remain hopeful.

i guess it just goes to show that after many years, music is starSPACE THEMEting to overlap in general areas :P

it is actually not a bad comparison; yoSPACE THEMEu're being compared to the icon of vgm composers. you'd have to listen to maybe the first 10-15 songs on disc 1 of the ff7 ost; uemSPACE THEMEatsu makes heavy use of that pSPACE THEMEarticular instrumentation.. especially in ff7

and yes, i hope i like it too SPACE THEME

I loSPACE THEMEl'd,