OCR01010 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Hot Ice"

djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...

I was hesitant to download it because it was another IceCap mix... but I'm glad I did. It's a welcome sound after 4 techno mixes of the same song.

Listen to the organ and the flute at 1:38. Sound familiar? The flute starts its solo off with a quote of Lava Reef's melody, while the organ is playing the continuo line from Lava Reef over Ice Cap Zone's chord progression.

I noticed that right away! I thought 'Gee, that sounds a lot like Lava Reef.' Then I realized it was probably intentional, hence the 'Hot Ice'.

One thing I've noticed is that many people don't seem to realize that Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (including S&K) has different (but similar) music for each act of a zone. Sonics 1 and 2, meanwhile, use the same music for every act of a zone.

Umm... yes, I've noticed that. Always have. I think it's so noticed that no one bothers to talk about it. They've also done that in the Advanced games too. It's pretty nifty. (Although Game Boy tunes aren't nearly as enjoyable to listen to)

• 1 month later...

This one was a bit strange to me. Until about 3/4 of the way through the piece, the background riff was louder than the main melody, which is very rarely a good thing. The overall feel was almost a metaphor for an avalanche, as the the melody got louder and louder until it was "in your face" as they say. Definitely quite nice, especially the end, which actually sounded like an ending rather than a wimp-out.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So smoooth Darke.. but i guess I'll believe you.

This was one of the first songs i ever downloaded at this site. very nostalgic.

I remember people complaining about the slap bass. But its the key to the song. great flute work. YAY. classic, and lots of fun.

• 2 years later...

I was thinking when I first heard this arrangement that there were parts of Lava Reef there and that was the case. I have S3K CD for my computer along with the original. The music is different for Carnival Night, IceCap and Launchbase, but the same for all the other zones. I'm surprised that there are no remixes of those songs. Back to this remix, it's right up there among my favorites. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The themes here are not just intertwined and threated through each other, but like bonded with super glue, which produces a very delicious treat for the ears.

Nice Lava Reef reference at 1:38! The flute solo was great,

I had forgotten about that...

Indeed, it is great.

Awesome job and a great mix. :nicework:

• 1 year later...

Some of the samples are a little dated, but overall this holds up pretty nicely, cool integration of the themes, and even though the bass sound is pretty gross, the actual writing of the part is really cool. Or is it hot? Ohhh, see what I did there? Nice jazzy flute and backing pads and keys, and things were clicking pretty well.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01010 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Hot Ice"