OCR01011 - Final Fantasy VII "Philharmonic Suite: Part I"

djpretzel

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy mother of Monkey D Fluffy! ( or so my sister puts it ^^;; ) This is an awsome remix! I've slapped myself so many times in the last 5:26 seconds for not downloading this sooner! This is the first and only remix that comes close to my love for "Rape of a Planet" by 'mp'.

I'll admit that the start is a little slow for my taste, but after 2:03 it's awsome! That's not to say that before 2:03 it isn't insperational. On it's own it's great, but it seems to be too slow for an intro to the rest of the song. No biggy! I still love it!

I'm overwhelmed by how greatly you remixed the opening to the best game ever! I would swear Nobuo (great man, btw) was in charge of this remix if I found it any where but on OCR.org . Excellent work!

• 3 weeks later...

Final Fantasy VII has to be my favourite game of all time and this really does it justice!! Beautiful use of orchestra and it's just like how the music should be if the game were ever released on PS2 or even made as a movie -Advent Children?-.

I could really picture the scenes when listening to this, like a hollywood movie or something. It has to be one of the best, if not THE best Final Fantasy remix on this site.

I love the way it goes into the action music, REALLY cinematic and just..... AWESOME.

All my 100 points are belong to this brilliant piece!! I can't describe how it makes me feel listening to this other than happy, and a certain sence of nostalgia (I was only 12 when FF7 hit the shelves and my much prided playstation).

I've praised enough. Whether you like classical music or not, Final Fantasy 7 fans really MUST download this. It won't fail to impress.

Hmm, I couldn't find that I reviewed this song, so I'm reviewing it.

Many people obviously have praised this mix, and for good reason. The only thing is, I personally don't believe it's as "great" as people say. The very first thing I notice is the amount of reverb. If reverb could talk, it'd say "TURN ME DOWN!". To me, it was only a mask for mistakes and imperfections of the piece, and sucked the life out of the mix. As for composition, it remained quite true to the originals, in which I praise, but at the same time, it actually became even more simplified than the originals. He never strayed away in a different direction. I also noticed many left out notes and a couple quick passages, probably mostly due to the restrictions of Robson's sample sets and articulations. I didn't see any real innovation in this piece, other than a great compilation of music using high quality sample sets. Don't get me wrong, the piece is enjoyable, but again, not as "great" as most say. Jeremy Robson is definitely talented, but needs to work a bit on mixing techniques, and a little more innovative thinking into his compositions. Definitely an enjoyable listen though.

Jared Hudson

Jeremy Robson is definitely talented, but needs to work a bit on mixing techniques, and a little more innovative thinking into his compositions.

You're right; this piece isn't as innovative as it could have been. Difficulties arise when the source music is fast. I sincerely believe that Part 2 makes up for this. Thanks for the heads up.

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late in this, but, I don't think this needed to be more innovative. For every decent mix that severely alters the base theme, there's a really crappy one. I think it's a relief that someone decided to basically orchestrate and blend, rather than going completely ape-s*** with it. While those turn out good sometimes, there's no shortage of them. It's nice to get something true to its source for a change.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i noticed that many people posted that there are more remixes in this series but upon serching i can only find the first and the finale. perhaps some coul post a link to the others? if so i would be highly appreachitive. thx in advance.

edit: well buggar. never mind, i found them. i personally don't care too much abut the complexity of anything. if i like it, i do. and i think jeremy has done some great stuff with these peices. i really enjoyed them.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It may be quite later than everyone elses posts, but I have to say that this...this...symphony experiance, is qiote possibly thegreatest I have ever heard.

This song definately represents a story in and of itself. At the same time, it is quite representative of the game itself. It's as if the two things, song and game, are related, and closely, but one can be taken independantly of the other.

This is an amazing accomplishment, this music. And I am now a fan of yours. Keep up the excellent work.

~Syruss

• 4 months later...

I have to disagree with Jared Hudson on this one. Of course, as a remix there isn't very much originality to this song. But let's face it... Some songs just deserve to be remixed more or less the way they are, so that the full potential of the song in question can come into blossom.

By the way, if I don't mistake myself I think can hear some pretty original parts as well. From around 4:00 and onwards things seem pretty new to me.

The technical talk just sounds like a conscious attempt to find faults in a more or less perfect arrangement. Of course there are things that could have been done better, but the overall quality of this remix still remains jawdropping.

Of course, this has a lot to do with the original work upon which it is built. But as I said earlier, some songs just deserve to be remixed more or less the way they are, so that the full potential of the song in question can come into blossom. And that's precisely what Jeremy Robson has done with this remix.

Kudos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is movie-orchestral material, it´s great! It got harmony, it got good instruments, and it has the adrenaline pumping mood from the game. If they do a real-motion-picture-movie, I would gladly vote this masterpiece to be the opening music.

Thank you robsondude, from all of us. :D:roll:8)8O

• 3 months later...

This had better be on the next re-release of FFVII. I love how the different themes are so well integrated together and the orchestra can make it smooth, foreboding, haunting, suspenseful, or simply beautiful. ^ Yup, I second that comment too! Disney soundtracks ain't got nothing on this remix. Keep 'em coming!

• 4 months later...

Simply put, this may very well be the best track on this entire site. You can almost see right before your eyes images from a "Final Fantasy VII" movie when listening to this, as Cloud and Barrett run through secluded streets of Midgar heading towards the looming factory. I felt the beginning was a little rushed... as far as complaints go that is all. Absolutely amazing.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Wow this is a sloooow long build-up; the fact that this is like part one of five makes it at least understandable and shows how much forethought is in here. This is beautifully orchestrated and highly subtle; not a whole lot of things are going on here too quickly meaning the listener has to pay close attention.

In the end, I like it, very Hans Zimmer-ish.

If they do a real-motion-picture-movie, I would gladly vote this masterpiece to be the opening music.

Completely agreed.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01011 - Final Fantasy VII "Philharmonic Suite: Part I"