Half-Life 2: Episode Two "texture trouble"

Zellfreid

Hey, I didn't see any other posts with this issue (unfortunately), but I've just started playing Half-Life 2: Episode Two with the recommended (asterisked) video settings. Everything was fine while I was playing until I got into the tunnel near the beginning of the game, and I noticed it was very bright. I figured immediately something was wrong. I tried messing with some of the video settings (turning them down some), but nothing helped. Basically, half of the textures are regular terrain, model, atmosphere textures and half are bright white with some blues and yellows and reds. Some buildings, ground, ceilings are all this strange texture that I can't seem to correct. Only some terrain/structural textures seem to be affected.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this? I've been looking around for a while, and nothing I've seen has looked like this scenario. I appreciate it!

I'd take this opportunity to consider upgrading to a better gfx card, but if that's not possible for you, have you updated the drivers as well recently..? I doubt the following, but if you haven't updated them for a VERY long time, that could be the reason...

But imo do considering getting a new card... :)!!

Also I recommend you do the "pagepool" trick so that you will have an easier time in the future... Only recommended if your OS is Windows XP...

what is this pagepool thing

and how's it different from the pagefile

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=131328

Do the following at your own risk...

- - -

On windows XP ONLY!!!

Start Menu > Run > regedit

Surf down to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Double click on "PagedPoolSize". Hexadecimal is listed first. Change the "Value Data" to one of these below:

(Note: You only need to enter EITHER Hexadecimal or Decimal. They both are the same.)

Megabytes Hexadecimal Decimal

192Mb 0c000000 201326592

256Mb 10000000 268435456

384Mb 18000000 402653184

I went with the 384Mb option and it worked perfectly.

Once you are done, make sure you reboot your computer.

sounds like your drivers are bad. i mean, your card is bad, but your drivers probably are the issue. install, restart when they tell you, and give it a shot. see what happens.

if it's still fritzing, look into a new card. even an 8500 (like 40 bucks) would be a massive upgrade.

I've been looking for an upgrade anyways. I just bought 4 Gigs of RAM over the summer (upgrade from 512mb). I'm no expert with computers, but my processor is a Pentium 4. Do I need to upgrade that if I want to get a decent graphics card, or can I get something worth while with that processor?

(Yes, I have PCIe.)

I've been looking for an upgrade anyways. I just bought 4 Gigs of RAM over the summer (upgrade from 512mb). I'm no expert with computers, but my processor is a Pentium 4. Do I need to upgrade that if I want to get a decent graphics card, or can I get something worth while with that processor?

(Yes, I have PCIe.)

Kinda depends on what the speed is, but a Pentium 4 should be okay.

If all you're playing is Source games, the HD 3650 should be more than enough for your needs and costs $35 after rebate.

Or if you're planning to expand from there in the future and have the cash, check this thread for more graphics card recommendations.

Yeah, I've been following that thread today, thanks.

It's 8.80 Ghz. And I do plan on expanding; I want to play more than just Source games. I'm not too sure about the power supply requirements and speeds and whatnot, but I suppose I could post that in the other thread. I guess this issue's done.

I tried that pagepool thing, and it's the same.

It all goes back to normal after I Tab out and then back in... SO, I'll just stick with that until I upgrade my card.

On to the other thread, then...

wait, 8.8ghz p4? that's wrong. i don't know what it is, but it's NOT that considering the fastest i've ever seen was 5.2 or so on a core 2 extreme, with liquid nitrogen being poured on the CPU to cool it.

since i build custom computers, i likely can help you figure out what you need. pm me with what you want to upgrade, and how much you've got to spend, and i can figure out what components would be the best for you.

Hahah, that was a typo. Definitely NOT 8.8. I meant 2.80 Ghz. Not sure how that happened. And thanks, I may just take you up on that offer, prophet.

And no, I did not try re-downloading the drivers. I just downloaded the latest one (as far as I know) in July, so I doubt there's a new one. I'll check, though. (I could check before I post this, but I won't.)

EDIT:

It would seem that I have the most up-to-date driver for XP 32-bit. = Catalyst 8.6

Well the newest Catalyst is actually 8.9 now, but I'd imagine any issue with the Orange Box would have been fixed already in 8.6, so I dunno how much it would help to update.

When I was looking for drivers, I saw that. But it said it was for Vista or something like that.

So, on a somewhat related note, I'm looking into this whole overclocking business (which is totally foreign to me). I downloaded this ATITool 0.26 and I have no idea what it does. I ran a Find Max Core last night and my computer crashed I guess after a while. The program said it overclocked to 486 Core / 297 Memory. Now, I have no idea what either of those mean, but I was going to run a Find Max Memory tonight and see what that told me. Anyways, I guess I'm just curious as to what is a reasonable level to overclock, and (if it depends on the system) how do I find out what level I should set them at? Is this even then right way to overclock? And I have tried looking into this before, but it's really confusing.