The Sega Genesis lives! New games coming...

The Coop

Well, if the Dreamcast can continue living on, why not the Genesis?

After Super Fighter Team released Beggar Prince back in 2006, they got busy on another game. Titled Legend of Wukong, it's another game from China that they've chosen to port to PAL and US territories. While Beggar Prince had some bug and saving issues (which were apparently fixed with the third batch of games), Legend of Wukong is being given a more thorough combing, thanks in part to lessons learned on the first game. You can read up on it here, and check out Beggar Prince here.

BP can still be ordered, and LoW is currently able to be preordered for a December release.

However, translations aren't the only things coming to the Genesis. A brand new game called Pier Solar is also getting readied for a release. Set to be a huge (for Genesis) 64Mb cart, this game is 100% original from it's story and characters, to its music and graphics. It's been in the making for the last four years roughly, and is supposed to be coming out on Christmas Eve of this year (barring any delays like what pushed it back from its original Oct. 29th release date). Where BP and LoW are more like action RPGs, Pier Solar looks to be a straight up JRPG in presentation and execution. You can check it out here.

Oh, and you can download a beta of PS from their website. It'll run in Gens or Kega Fusion (it's from an April build of the game).

And for those who bought BP a while back, yes, that is new artwork. Seems Super Fighter Team found a programmer to fix the game save bug for the third print run, and they got a new artist to come in and replace the almost laughably bad original artwork. Of course, this pissed off a number of previous BP buyers, because they have a buggier version of the game, and weren't given the chance to get the new artwork without buying the game again. DRAMA!

no that's cool

I wonder if it'll be bigger than the Electronic Arts cartridges :P I remember they were always those huge square ones.

Who knows. I'm sure they have chips these days that could get it all in a normal sized cart (4 16Mb chips), but I too am curious to see how this cart will look. I remember the prototype of Star Control back in the day, with 12 1Mb chips on this towering cart board :lol:

reelmojo- No problem. I figured there had to be at least a few people here interested in something like this :-)

does that mean they'll start selling genesis again? I would totally buy one if the opportunity arose.

Selling games for a dead system that a lot of people own (and which can be found easily) is a different matter from trying to make and sell clones of said system to new customers. Clones have a nasty habit of not being completely compatible with all games, where as a game can usually be tested on every major console revision. Plus, since a number of companies found ways around Sega's "Seal of Quality" stuff (EA, Accolade, Wisdom Tree, and Realtec come to mind), it's probably easier and more profitable for little groups like Super Fighter Team to release games for all those Genesis owners, than to release Genesis clones to those who don't own one.

That's not to say some other company won't ever give it a try. After all, the NES got a clone not too long ago. But I doubt it'll be SFT or the Pier Solar makers being the one's selling it.

I clicked on this thread thinking new games were being announced for the Genesis Virtual Console.

This is even cooler (although technically they could hit the VC too if they ever became popular enough).

That would be cool once the games ran out of physical copies. But both Super Fighter Team and the Pier Solar folks have gone out of their way to make their releases extremely hard to emulate though' date=' and I'm not so sure they want to show someone how to break those safeguards. Still, it would be nice once new copies aren't around anymore.

[b']JCvgluvr- Don't be pissing on my parade. Keep it up, and I'll.. cry... or something.

ROFL!! My Genesis stopped working awhile ago. The AV cable had been pulled out and pushed in so much that the metal prongs inside the unit just fell out.

But the idea of a new Genesis game is actually pretty cool. It is a shame that it will be wasted on a crappy RPG instead of a sequel the the best Genesis game ever made: LHX Attack Chopper.

does that mean they'll start selling genesis again? I would totally buy one if the opportunity arose.

Don't buy this. But I've seen similar, and they are awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Station-System-Nintendo-Genesis/dp/B00117GOWE/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1223864970&sr=8-1

And, I think I heard about this game coming out on the retronauts podcast. =D

ROFL!! My Genesis stopped working awhile ago. The AV cable had been pulled out and pushed in so much that the metal prongs inside the unit just fell out.

But the idea of a new Genesis game is actually pretty cool. It is a shame that it will be wasted on a crappy RPG instead of a sequel the the best Genesis game ever made: LHX Attack Chopper.

Time to grab a blueprint and start splicing.

So, people are selling home-made Genesis carts, basically? Will they be found in stores, or on little personal websites? 64Mbit carts? I thought Genesis was 16-bit?

I'm somewhat lost.

So, people are selling home-made Genesis carts, basically? Will they be found in stores, or on little personal websites? 64Mbit carts? I thought Genesis was 16-bit?

I'm somewhat lost.

So it would seem. I'll try and explain...

The two games from Super Fighter Team were actual games in Taiwan that never saw a release in the US. SFT decided to take them, try and remove the bugs the original coders left behind, translated all the text, and had carts and clamshell cases made that resembled the US designs. Of course, Legend of Wukong is still being finished, so never mind that I spoke about it in past tense terms ;-)

As for Pier Solar, it's all new, and it too is supposed to get the full cart and case treatment for its release.

None of these games will be in a store. They can only be bought through their respective websites (via PayPal) until they run out of copies. Of course, you could try and get one from an eBay seller later, but you'll pay noticeably more (think financial rape).

The 64Mb has nothing to do with the Genesis' "16-bit" label. 16-bit is a name to describe the system's processing abilities/level at the time, and its cartridges could range in size pretty widely. Some Genesis carts were only 1-2Mb, while others hit 32Mb and even 40Mb. The game coming from the Pier Solar makers will be the largest Genesis cart to date (despite not being an official release) at 64Mb. If they wanted to, they could make a 128Mb cart for the Genesis, since its bit level has little or nothing to do with how large the cart sizes can go in terms of Mb.

Does that help?

Time to grab a blueprint and start splicing.

I'm somewhat lost.

It is. The 64mbit refers to the amount of space the game takes up. 8 bits to a byte, so 64mbit = 8 megabytes, which is rather sizeable for a Genesis game.