It is a good day for Virtual Console

Shadow Wolf

it baffles me that anyone would pay money for a snes game. or a wii for that matter

Mayne, Whatchoo talkin bout foo?! You got an SNES avatar!

Upon hearing that this game will be 3 player, I REALLY wanna get me a Wii and play it with my wife and friend. Although that game is probably too hard for my wife. I remember having a heck of a time beating it when I was younger. Maybe it would be easy now that I'm older.

The thing that I'm worried about is... Can I buy an American Wii and then download American VC games while living in Japan? I wanna play my games in English.

i just can't understand why anyone would PAY for a game they can get for FREE. i guess there must be something wrong with me since i feel absolutely no guilt when i play my pirated roms. and to anyone who talks about ethics and morals, honestly tell me that you never played a ROM before nintendo came out with their VC games.

Forgoing the whole ethic's-behind-roms spiel, I can see it being these days as a matter of convenience and personal preferences. As much as I enjoyed Final Fantasy VI on my pc I'd enjoyed it more on my TV than on my PC. I rather see my classic SMW and SMRPG on the TV than on the PC because of comfortability on the couch as well as being able to share the console with others who may want to play it while I'm multitasking on the PC. Not to mention keep people off my PC.

Also on a personal note I buy them off the VC because I can and have the cash to burn :lol: and I'd rather enjoy my gaming time however I wish :wink:

I would LOVE to being able to play Seiken Densetsu III on the VC or even on the old SNES, but since I can't I'd settle for the PC emulation. In fact the only times I've ever settled on emulation would be on rare/never-seen-in-the-USA games as well as PS1 games since I no longer have my old PS1 mem card...

IMO the couch is a HELL of a lot comfier than the chair I'd only use when I'm working or playing FPS/RTS/SIMCITY games...

i just can't understand why anyone would PAY for a game they can get for FREE. i guess there must be something wrong with me since i feel absolutely no guilt when i play my pirated roms. and to anyone who talks about ethics and morals, honestly tell me that you never played a ROM before nintendo came out with their VC games.

Well, I always saw it as: if I can buy it, why pirate it?

Now that I can buy it, I freaking buy it.

It's simply because I would hate to have a job where I may or may not be paid depending on the ethics of random strangers.

My little brother is def more excited about SOM then i am but i cant wait to play it again and bring back some old school memories. Games now a days dont give you that same feeling. Though eternal Sonata is starting to do that to me. Twilight Princess a little (yes i still havent beaten it. I have a full time job and bartend. give me some slack.) I hope they bring Secret Of Evermore to VC. I LOVED that game. must have played through it almost as much as Chrono Trigger back in the day.

I'm most excited over Cave Story being released for it in the near future.

Gonna have to get myself a Wii first, though...

I'm slightly torn about it having a 'contemporary' makeover. The first version was so unabashedly 8-bit and free for everyone, the new version just doesn't seem to have the general edge and the hype the original had. Pixel, release it on the 360 too, so I can get more achievements. Or PS3 for trophy collectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this might be an odd question, but were there different difficulties of SoM depending on which version you had? Because I'm playing it again and frankly, I'm just destroying the game. I have tons of money (when I had flammie, I could upgrade everyone to Gold Town armor and now I just upgraded to the final armors and still had over 100k to spare.) I remember finding this game kinda hard, and well, now I don't even need to spam spells (even if it is fun to destroy a boss without stopping the onslaught of magic and mp absorb).

The answer to your question would be easier to find if you told us what version you were playing. U.K. version? I played the American version a long time ago and found it FREAKING hard.

But, I think it's just that you're older now. Upon playing some games which I found really hard when I was a kid, I found that most of them are a breeze for me now.

I'm really interested in getting a Wii and playing two player games with my wife, and Secret of Mana is one of them. That ss such a fun game for cooperation. I hope it's still hard when I play it again.

My brother and I played the hell out of SoM back in the day. We got the best everything pretty much. We even kept farming the last area for the last orbs of some weapons, but little did we know that there is no lvl 9 sword orb without a glitch :\ We were even superstitious and used Analyze on chests until they started blinking pink. We thought it'd increase the drop rate of better items. :P

Okay, this might be an odd question, but were there different difficulties of SoM depending on which version you had? Because I'm playing it again and frankly, I'm just destroying the game. I have tons of money (when I had flammie, I could upgrade everyone to Gold Town armor and now I just upgraded to the final armors and still had over 100k to spare.) I remember finding this game kinda hard, and well, now I don't even need to spam spells (even if it is fun to destroy a boss without stopping the onslaught of magic and mp absorb).

No, there wasn't, but I'll bet you've done something this time you may have missed back in the day. Secret of Mana, more than ANY other RPG I've ever seen, required you to keep up with the best armor in the game in order to move forward. For example, the first time I beat the game a couple years ago, I got my ass handed to me by the snake in Matango. Several times. If he touched me, it did 200 damage. I was pissed because I had JUST upgraded my armor. Lo and behold, when I went through some other cities and looked very carefully, there was a complete armor upgrade for all my characters. As soon as I put it on, the hit damage dropped from 200 to either 20 or a block.

Paying close attention to the armor upgrades, and reselling your old armor as you upgrade, will allow you to hand everything in that game its own ass and make tons of money.