Good metal/rock guitar pugin(s)

Tarnish

Probably a few people already asked this, but I'll ask anyway: how do some ppl make good sounding metal/rock guitars in their songs? I mean is there a good plugin for fruity loops that can play those kind of guitars? I got a few but those sound pretty lame. I also got one called 'Liquid Guitar' that was said to be pretty cool. Does any1 knows if it is good and useable? It has a lot of good quality 'samples' but using them sounds pretty tough to me. (Sry for the stupid question, but this has been buging me the most.)

Probably a few people already asked this, but I'll ask anyway: how do some ppl make good sounding metal/rock guitars in their songs? I mean is there a good plugin for fruity loops that can play those kind of guitars? I got a few but those sound pretty lame. I also got one called 'Liquid Guitar' that was said to be pretty cool. Does any1 knows if it is good and useable? It has a lot of good quality 'samples' but using them sounds pretty tough to me. (Sry for the stupid question, but this has been buging me the most.)

How do they do it?

Real guitarists. There are many here who would happily offer their services should you require them.

Myself included, depending on the level of work.

• 2 weeks later...

truth be told though, you wont ever be able to match a real guitar. you know how you can tweak certain other sounds (strings, drums, etc.) to make them sound more realistic? you cant do that with guitar. with a clean guitar you might have some luck. but any guitar with distortion or overdrive you will have a hard time making it passable.

i could be wrong, but i have yet to hear any passable guitar sounds that arent real.

Here's some simple noodling all on keyboard all one take. (except for the first few seconds, of course)

you wouldn't call any of that "passable"?

remember, those are all dry, as in no other FX besides Guitar Rig. played with RealStrat. if you're lucky, you still might be able to snag it for cheap at GC.

i stand corrected. thank you for showing me.

The trick of making your guitar parts sound passable is to actually write the music like a guitar would actually be playing it. It's uncommon that a guitar player will ALWAYS use full, 3-note, chords, across two octaves. Most of the guitar you hear on the radio, lead stuff excluded, is just root-fifth-octave. I'd wager that 90+% of all guitar based music written since the 80s is this way.

Here's some simple noodling all on keyboard all one take. (except for the first few seconds, of course)

remember, those are all dry, as in no other FX besides Guitar Rig. played with RealStrat. if you're lucky, you still might be able to snag it for cheap at GC.

Ok, that is impressive 8O

That still will never beat a real guitar though. But is definitely is passable, especially in a piece not based around guitars.

That still will never beat a real guitar though. But is definitely is passable, especially in a piece not based around guitars.

but it does just as well as any other instrument that's not "real". of course the "real" thing is always going to be better, but unfortunately the real thing is typically either not available, or hard to properly record. and honestly, if you took the time to really expertly sequence the setup i just played and then slapped it with the appropriate accompaniment, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference :razz:

That's awesome. I'd love to hear a full rock song performed solely using that setup, along with some virtual bass and drums of course. It would be fun to see (after sequencing the guitars as professionally as possible like bgc mentioned) how many people it would fool into thinking it was all performed the traditional way.

You also got Prominy LPC Electric Guitar, which runned through an amp simulator sound awesome, but it takes a lot of work to sequence. I like RealStrat better than Prominy LPC, because RealStrat is more flexible, and also easier to sequence, and it's also alot better when it comes to lead melodies, at least for my style. There's one thing that no other plugin or samplepack can do as good as Prominy, and that is the artificial harmonics. Prominys artificial harmonics scream very good!

I may upload some MP3s here later, with music done with both Prominy and RealStrat. I cannot do it now, as I'm at my girlfriends home right now.

but it does just as well as any other instrument that's not "real". of course the "real" thing is always going to be better, but unfortunately the real thing is typically either not available, or hard to properly record. and honestly, if you took the time to really expertly sequence the setup i just played and then slapped it with the appropriate accompaniment, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference :razz:
Correct, if you didn't say that you did use a plugin, I probably wouldn't be able to tell.

I believe what you mean, in short, is POWER CHORDS! POWER CHORDS! HOLY SH*T! POWER CHORDS! lol

Not all the time, but most of it, for sure.

Lyrical Distortion has some nice <$100 guitar libraries. Lead here isn't amazing but the chugs are.

http://www.lyricaldistortion.com/Monkey_Buziness

Wow... Simply wow. And the lead's not awful; the sound seems solid enough, but the licks just don't fit the piece.