What free AntiVirus should I get?

Dafydd

It checks to make sure the webpage you are visiting is "safe" and scans web search results before you visit them just to make sure (this includes ads). I consider it garbage though, waste of bandwidth and it blocked a few of the sites I go to that aren't....safe but make life easier.

For sure get AVG Free Eddtion. I use it aswell with my Webroot Spysweeper with anti virus. I highly reccomend if you eventually are interested in buying protection for your computer. Look into Nod32, Kapersky, and of course AVG Internet Security, all which i have heard nothing but good things about.

So, I just installed Vista and I need some kind of antivirus. My university, which used to provide me with Norman, has stopped doing this and now recommend getting either Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic or AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. Any other suggestions?

Not sure if anyone else had suggested this, but on the CGI -certified site Download.com you can find ThreatFire. This, I believe, is real-time, since I am using it now. Of course it works better if you get the purchase version instead of the free.

I've had problems in the past with Threatfire. I assume it's just me but I've had massive slowdowns with it installed and none with it uninstalled. Is it just my PC or have other people had this problem?

Im sure its not just you then. must take up alot of memory while running/scanning. Which causes your slowdown. Although, it then again could be your specs. Assuming your running Vista with atleast 2gig, you shouldnt see any problems. AVG gives me a slowdown. vista with 1gig of ram, sucks, but im on a laptop.

Make sure your specs are decent, if they are. then its most likely not just you.

AVG and Avast! are the free programs I've had recommended to me, and Nod32 and Kaspersky seem to be the choices for paid ones.

If you're looking for a free product, I've been using Avast! Home for about five years, and haven't had any notable infections. I've read good reviews of AVG Free, which seems fairly popular as well. Both of these programs can be downloaded from their respective websites:

http://avast.com/

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

For what it's worth, some of the commercial antivirus products have been focusing more on efficiency with system resources, and are supposedly leaner than their previous versions (looking at YOU, Norton).

So ditto to what Dhsu said, with a bit of personal experience thrown in.