Mother 3

Kroze

OH FUCK YES!

"I’m busy and won’t be able to update until late tonight. And I got so much to write up about stuff. But short story is that it’ll be at the end of this week. I’ll give more details in the update later."

Finally the Mother 3 translation project comes through at last and will be done by the end of the week!

CELEBRATE!

Awesome news, but I'm just jumping in here for the obligatory public service announcement.

No posting links to ROMs. No asking for where to get ROMs. No hinting at using other means of communication to exchange information about ROMs. Keep it off the boards.

There are plenty of legal ways to use this patch like do what I did and buy the game from Play-Asia and apply the patch by yourselves.

MEH. j/k. I basically forgot what Earthbound was all about and I wanted to take a marathon session for all the Earthbound/Mother games available.

I'm still bitter Nintendo can't be bothered to do this and listen to hardcore gaming fans' opinions. But that bitterness is a decade old now..

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question, but why does everyone go so gaga over the Mother/Earthbound series?

I saw it maybe once in the store but never played it. So someone help me out here please.

It's quirky as hell. That's my reason, at least.

Interesting. Although they make it sound like cartridges are some sort of indestructible medium, which anyone who's ever owned an NES knows is completely untrue. :P

I dunno, my mom ran over my copy of Mario Bros. 3 by accident about 10 years ago and it still works fine. As do the other games she ran over, but Mario Bros. 3 took the most damage from that incident.

Mario 3 didn't break because Mario 3 is the devil.

Regarding the Atari case, the language of the act states, in part, that it is not an infringement to make a copy of a computer program if "such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful." Therefore, you actually have to have possession of the program you are copying in order to justify an archival copy.

All I gotta say is, I imported Mother 3, played thru it 3 times, can't read a lick of Japanese. I used a translation at GameFAQs and pretty much got the jist of it.

Mother 3 is one of the greatest games I have ever played. The battle system is unique, the story is deep and dark. Blatent content that makes it instantly "innapropriate" for our censored American culture. I love everything about it.

Shigesato Itoi is a genius. Mother (series) in general is the most unique RPG series to this day. Most RPGs follow the swords and sorcery trend, but Mother stepped it up and kicked butt with a Baseball Bat, Psychic powers and Pizza.

Oh, an FYI, Mother 3's Rhythm battle system is harder on an emu cause of the sync time, never had a prob on my cart tho.

Apparently not... what's the bill?
WASHINGTON (Reuters)

- President George W. Bush signed into law on Monday a controversial bill that would stiffen penalties for movie and music piracy at the federal level.

The law creates an intellectual property czar who will report directly to the president on how to better protect copyrights both domestically and internationally. The Justice Department had argued that the creation of this position would undermine its authority.

The law also toughens criminal laws against piracy and counterfeiting, although critics have argued that the measure goes too far and risks punishing people who have not infringed.

The Recording Industry Association of America and Motion Picture Association of America backed the bill, as did the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

"By becoming law, the PRO-IP Act sends the message to IP criminals everywhere that the U.S. will go the extra mile to protect American innovation," said Tom Donohue, president and CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Counterfeiting and piracy costs the United States nearly $250 billion annually, according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

Rick Cotton, general counsel for NBC Universal, said the bill would give movie and music makers more tools to fight what he called a "tidal wave" of counterfeiting and piracy of everything from medical devices to automobile parts to media by organized crime.

"That is at the core of what this discussion is about," he said. "It is not about teenagers."

Cotton said he did not expect an IP czar to be named before Bush's term ended in January.

Richard Esguerra, spokesman for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, said he was relieved to see lawmakers had stripped out a measure to have the Justice Department file civil lawsuits against pirates, which would have made the attorneys "pro bono personal lawyers for the content industry."

But the advocacy group Public Knowledge had argued that the law went too far, especially given that fair use of copyrighted material was already shrinking.

Public Knowledge particularly opposed a measure that allowed for the forfeiture of devices used in piracy.

"Let's suppose that there's one computer in the house, and one person uses it for downloads and one for homework. The whole computer goes," said Public Knowledge spokesman Art Brodsky.

Brodsky argued that, at best, the bill was unnecessary because the recording and movie industry had the right to take accused infringers to court.

"There's already lots and lots of penalties for copyright violations," he said. "They've got all the tools they need."

(Reporting by Diane Bartz; Editing by Bernard Orr, Gary Hill)

white house fact sheet on legislation:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/10/20081013-7.html

i also like this article with this quote:

http://www.internetnews.com/government/article.php/3777696/President+Signs+Tough+New+AntiPiracy+Law.htm

Both departments (Department of Justice and Commerce) also said they "strongly oppose" the act, which would move the intellectual property czar into the cabinet because this would constitute "a legislative intrusion into the internal structure and composition of the President's Administration."

It was a JRPG that actually took place in the "present day" instead of medieval/future times.

That plus the general quirkiness of it all makes it a pretty unique experience.

On the surface, yes, but the quirkiness had a reason to it. It's not popular just because it takes place in a modern day setting. The game isn't even REMOTELY realistic to begin with.

I figured this would be the best place to ask this question, but why does everyone go so gaga over the Mother/Earthbound series?

I saw it maybe once in the store but never played it. So someone help me out here please.

It's because Earthbound/Mother was a distinct post-modern game of criticizing and analyzing the old Japanese RPG conventions while staying within it. The quirkiness basically comes from that entire context and study of existentialism pertaining to a child's imagination (you never really know if the RPG is basically someone's imagination or not). It was just so much more than the generic 'story' + 'action' you typically get out of videogames. It was basically an artistic expression within the JRPG format.

On the surface, yes, but the quirkiness had a reason to it. It's not popular just because it takes place in a modern day setting. The game isn't even REMOTELY realistic to begin with.

It's because Earthbound/Mother was a distinct post-modern game of criticizing and analyzing the old Japanese RPG conventions while staying within it. The quirkiness basically comes from that entire context and study of existentialism pertaining to a child's imagination (you never really know if the RPG is basically someone's imagination or not). It was just so much more than the generic 'story' + 'action' you typically get out of videogames. It was basically an artistic expression within the JRPG format.

What part of Earthbound, specifically, suggests that it is all a fictional child's fantasy, aside from the fact that it actually is a video game and is a real person's fantasy?