Mother 3

Kroze

thats mostly the fault of the emulator, not the game

real hardware would play the game better and make it a little less difficult

Yea. Part of the hard part is that I'm just not sure exactly how it works. I haven't found, like, one of the sparrows or something that explains it. Idk if it's like, the tempo of the song, or the rhythm, or what.

I find it immensely tricky to start. After I get two or three I can usually rack up at least 7 before missing a beat, but for some reason that second one is almost impossible for me to hit.

Had to edit this to add an awesome quote:

"Policeman:

Please don't stare directly at me.

It might make me want to arrest you."

and was I just raped by a magypsy?

I've played a decent amount of Earthbound, but I have not beaten the game nor has the ending been spoiled for me yet.

I have patched Mother 3 and I am ready to play it. Should I beat Earthbound or at least familiarize myself with the ending before I play M3, or is it okay to play standalone?

Its not a direct sequel, these are totally different stories. Play them both, theyre about just as good.

and combo spoiler below, if you need help.

Putting enemies to sleep allows you to feel their heartbeat. this is the rhythm at which you want to press th button once the combo gets started. when to first press the button to get over 2 hits is still a mystery to me. And yes, each rythm is dependent on background music. one good way to practice on emulator is to save state when the window "Flint attacks." comes up, try to get a combo, and then load state every time you screw up. you can do that for every attack, but in the end its a waste of time and takes away from the value of the game.

my highest combo is 13, pretty sweet. The fluctuating speed of emulators really throws it off though

thats mostly the fault of the emulator, not the game

real hardware would play the game better and make it a little less difficult

Actually, places I did GBA game testing, we used the visual boy emulator.

You should also know, that emulator came out, before the gba came out in Japan...sure it's updated, but I think nintendo is indirectly responsible for creating this emulator at first. So, being harder because of an emu is a possibility but it might be more because of a emu plugin or something.

Putting enemies to sleep allows you to feel their heartbeat. this is the rhythm at which you want to press th button once the combo gets started. when to first press the button to get over 2 hits is still a mystery to me. And yes, each rythm is dependent on background music. one good way to practice on emulator is to save state when the window "Flint attacks." comes up, try to get a combo, and then load state every time you screw up. you can do that for every attack, but in the end its a waste of time and takes away from the value of the game.

you want the combo to start as soon as you press a. that means once you get to flints "attacked!" box, hit a as the beginning of the combo

also practice is a whole lot easier once you get to osohe castle and pick up the battle memory book from the present on the first floor. it lets you battle any enemy youve encountered before for as long as you want. you dont take any damage or anything, its there specifically so you can practice the various music. really neat addition i'd say

you want the combo to start as soon as you press a. that means once you get to flints "attacked!" box, hit a as the beginning of the combo

also practice is a whole lot easier once you get to osohe castle and pick up the battle memory book from the present on the first floor. it lets you battle any enemy youve encountered before for as long as you want. you dont take any damage or anything, its there specifically so you can practice the various music. really neat addition i'd say

Yea, I just got to this point and having that along with being able to sleep enemies is so helpful.

Actually, places I did GBA game testing, we used the visual boy emulator.

You should also know, that emulator came out, before the gba came out in Japan...sure it's updated, but I think nintendo is indirectly responsible for creating this emulator at first. So, being harder because of an emu is a possibility but it might be more because of a emu plugin or something.

I think what he meant is that there's a slight delay on the emulator between the game and the actual sound. The sound comes a bit liate iirc so it throws the rythm off.

Its been a long road but finally one of my favorite series has been translated. I played it when it was all Japanese and had to read a fan translation but it was a migraine jumping back and forth between the translation and the game.

The story, music, hell everything in this game is gold. The second I heard the first battle tune I said "This is gonna be awesome." Mother vets will definitely have lots of nostalgia tugging at there hearts with a lot of scenes in this sequel. (Final tune is beautiful).

Definitely going to replay the game all over again. People who haven't played it or just starting, your gonna have tons of fun with this game.

I love you man thanks for the advice

plus Im hungry for shit

The Mother 3 save feature is not working for me. I'm running it in VBA on a Mac. Has anyone else had this problem or do you guys just use save states?

yeah mato already addressed that - its a mac thing

i have been using save states - ...defrosting states has occasionally frozen my mac - nothing freezes mac - i can usually force quit anything - not sure if it related to full screen or running higher quality - but it sucks