Veteran Gamer Opinion Polls - for everyone!

glasfen

...and then try to see if there is any correlation between said responses and the populations of those sites.

I could have used your help for my thesis!

On the polls, they are limited by my creative abilities. I've got a few more questions but no sigs! As long as interest is maintained, I'll keep posting, but I will spread the threads out so I have enough time to generate new questions and quality sigs.

Gonna have to go with A.

Although it depends on how restrictive it is, I guess. In something like Super Mario World the chances of actually dying due to the time limit are basically nil, except in a few select levels. But then, if the time limit has very little actual effect on gameplay then it shouldn't even be considered.

...So I'd say in cases where time limits are restrictive it not only prevents me from taking things slow and exploring the level, but also feels like an artificial way to make the game harder. Really tough enemies I'm fine with, as long as there is a way to beat them that doesn't require superhuman reflexes or some shit.

I had a plan for something else like that on the NOA boards which I may implement here.

Sorry for asking, but I'm just wondering whether is this out of your own curiousity, or is it part of a larger project? Either way, you wrote you might do it bi-weekly or monthly, but it might be better to go for a shorter time interval, and/or to centralize your subsequent questions somewhere.

I'm going against the grain here, but definitely c. The Mega Man games are blatant violators in this sense. Why, WHY would you put an energy tank over there?! No love for the M-Man.

This. Quick Man's stage is devilishly tantalizing in this way. "Ooh, an extra life! Lemme just grab it real fast--" SCHRAAAAOOOOOOOO!!! Instant death. Mario suffers from this as well, sometimes. But I'd vote for every choice, if I could.

Hmm, it's a little hard to decide, 'cause it's possible for each of these things to be more annoying than all the others, depending on the situation.

Time limits don't usually bother me too much, because usually the limit will be reasonable for whatever situation you happen to be in. Unreachable power-ups don't bother me too much, because while it is annoying that they put them there, I figure that you're probably not supposed to get it anyway, so I just ignore it.

B and D are both pretty annoying. On the one hand, when you have one-hit deaths, you're basically just forced to return to a checkpoint and do a part over again. On the other hand, if you're given unavoidable enemies, the opportunity is there for them to kill you after you spend a bunch of time trying to kill them first, and you go back to a checkpoint anyway.

I think it'd be more annoying to be forced to battle a gang of enemies than to just die in one hit and have to make your way back to the point you died at. I'm going with D.

Oh Jesus H. Crispies, can't you just answer the fucking question without starting a discussion of semantics?!

Post of the week. Not for what it was addressing, I've just never heard the Son of God called Jesus H. Crispies specifically.

And I'm gonna have to actually go with C. I've always considered one hit deaths and time limits kind of a basic feature of platformers, so I just deal with them without complaint. As far as D, I've always thought there's no such thing as an unavoidable enemy or the game would by default be unbeatable.

But seeing that fire flower and having no blessed way to get to it... MAN. IRRITATING. I suppose you could apply my logic for D to this and say they wouldn't actually put an unreachable powerup in the game. But lots of times you had to do something 5 levels back to be able to get it. Which makes them currently unreachable. So I'm pretty sure I have a logical reason for picking C.

As far as D, I've always thought there's no such thing as an unavoidable enemy or the game would by default be unbeatable.

Well, this isn't necessarily true. You can just shrink or lose your current power up, or lose coins etc. Which can make it really difficult if you have to end the stage as the highest possible version of your character, or have accumulated a certain amount of coins or rings.

Hello, gamers! Your opinion counts. That's why I'm posting the very first Veteran Gamer Opinion Poll. The purpose of the VGOPs is simply to have fun with questions about gaming and elements of games. Yes, the name says veteran gamer, but all are welcome! It just helps to have played a variety of games.

Here's how to participate:

1. A question or situation will be posted.

2. Simply reply to the thread with your choice of a, b, c, or d.

3. Watch as others vote.

4. Check back when the votes are tallied to see the consensus.

Nothing to it! I will also offer a poll-related sig for interested parties at the end of each voting period (about a week). I hope to post the VGOPs on a bi-weekly or monthly basis. If you have any questions, pm me!

Now that the formalities have been addressed, here is...

Veteran Gamer Opinion Poll #1

In a platformer, which is more frustrating?

a) a time limit

B) one-hit deaths

c) unreachable power-ups

d) unavoidable enemies

Vote and be heard!

I would probably say c).

D) Unavoidable Enemies

For me, platformer experiences are by definition about avoiding enemies, avoiding obstacles, and avoiding those one hit kills that you mention in (B). If it is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid certain hazards, this defeats the purpose of the game.

Answered it for me.

In fact, that's why I've really started to dislike turn-based traditional JRPGs. There's no allowance for me to use my skill to avoid an enemy attack -- I just have to take it. At least in an SRPG, I've got some control over the movement and formation of the characters.

(I know the discussion is platformers, but I'm just mentioning it to explain why I've come to enjoy action/platformers more than JRPGs -- a complete reversal of what I used to like -- and why it annoys me when a platformer incorporates this JRPG-esque trait of unavoidable attacks.)

Sorry for asking, but I'm just wondering whether is this out of your own curiousity, or is it part of a larger project? Either way, you wrote you might do it bi-weekly or monthly, but it might be better to go for a shorter time interval, and/or to centralize your subsequent questions somewhere.

As far as purpose, this is just for kicks. It also gives me a reason to make sigs. Let's see how it goes for the first couple questions. I'll evaluate time issues at that point (see my replies quoting The Damned for more).

One hit deaths. Battletoads final level. Megaman wall spikes. Two games smashed into pieces in a fit of rage. Need I say more.

I totally empathize on both counts. Not that I destroyed my cartridges, but the Clinger Winger level of Battletoads certainly made me want to do so.