audio help! Calling all guitarrists!

I've been having this issue for like 10 years now. I got a static problem. I hear it everytime my guitar rings out and during the decay you hear a buzzing sound. I tried sound supressors, and the compressor on my RP100 but to no avail. I have a sample of what im talking about. I have no where else to upload it to but my myspace. UGH! yet another problem. no where to put the crap! but here http://www.myspace.com/gregdevin (and for the record, i just played wahtever the hell. i normally play better than that. im just using it to show what i mean.) especially at the end of the sample when it rings out.

this is my gear:

Crate GX-20M amp (15 FRICKEN years old!)

Dean McPhantom with a stock neck pickup and a DiMarzio Evolution at the bridge

Digitech RP100 guitar pedal. (I use it for everything. Clean, distorted, effects, you name it)

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 which I plug the amp directly into via 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter and outputting from the speaker socket on the amp.

I know! I need new gear! Im working on that. But I wanna solve this buzzing problem! Im tired of having to edit it out with the volume automation MANUALLY! You know how much of a bitch it is to do that?! Especially with start/stop riffs?! HELLLLLP!

Truthfully yours,

Garret Graves

PS. Its labeled on the playlist as Guitar Sample1. It might take a little while to upload so give it time.

Okay, for one, don't triple post.

The most obvious solution is to just get an USB/firewire recording interface, which should solve most of your problems. Second of all:

but I wanna solve this buzzing problem! Im tired of having to edit it out with the volume automation MANUALLY! You know how much of a bitch it is to do that?!

Yes, I do know 'how much of a bitch it is to do that', it takes almost *gasp* ten minutes to do it for all my recorded tracks. Ten minutes is peanuts, if you're not even willing to spend that amount of time on mixing your stuff, you might as well give up music.

I'll wager that what you're hearing is 60-cycle hum... It's caused by magnetic interference in the pickups, and can be caused by things like lights, TVs, cars driving by, cell phones, radios, radio stations in the air...

Basically, ANYTHING can cause it.

A few options are a) put the noise suppressor VERY FIRST in your line, so the decay from delay and reverb is coming from pristine audio, not the constantly humming signal that's coming from your guitar. Also, unless you're particularly picky with a certain delay pedal or reverb tank, you can do that kinda stuff post. B) Open up your guitar and shield the crap out of it (guitarnuts.com for a good guide); that requires a bit of skill with a soldering iron, though.

Granted... this is just the most common problem with hum/hiss/static, and without hearing your audio samples, I can't totally tell you what it is.

thanks guys! i'll give it a shot. i may post again with an audio sample as soon as i can find a place to upload it.

Found a place! arox i think that's as little of the buzzing as I get. there are times where it's REALLY bad. there was even one time when i was alone in the house and i turned ALL of the other appliances in the house off. I still got it pretty bad. hopefully that sample is a good example.

damn. sorry for a double post :(

yeah i've been told that my current hook-up is not recommended. but when it's all you have, you learn to work with it. if you have any recommendations on that particular subject i'd be more than happy to listen. I hasve made some decently made demos though with this setup. But i know it can be a lot better. Im all about quality. at least i want to be. ha!

Im using a Dean McPhantom (i think) with a DiMarzio Evolution bridge pickup and a Dean stock pick up at the neck end. I could shield the crap out of the wiring but that'll take time and quite possibly money. My mom handles all the saudering in the house but she's always too busy. lol

One more thing. There have been days where the buzz isn't there at all at it stays clean for about a day. I don't know what the controlling factor is but it does happen.

What I'm about to do though is buy another guitar and amp. Not just cause of this issue (cause that wont solve anything im sure) but cause i need to upgrade. I already picked the guitar im getting (Jackson Rhoads model with Duncan humbuckers. Pretty damn sweet i must say.) And I plan on just recording straight through a Shure dynamic mic and use that to mic the amp. I figure it's gonna work better than what i have now. What say you guys?

Without being there to test things out, it's hard to say what's really happening with that hum. Have you tried playing at different angles from your amp? Sometimes that helps. Your guitar and pickups sound like humming shouldn't be a problem, but it's still there, so possibly the amp, but amps rarely hum like that, and when they do, it's constant, not intermittent like yours is.

Let's hope the new guitar and amp fixes the problem.