Unsubscribe?

Jorpho

This has gone far enough!

I have just received yet another mass E-mail from OCRemix completely devoid of any unsubscription information. This is what some people call SPAM.

As much as I appreciate the work that goes on here, I don't really visit very much, and these E-mails are most unwelcome. I don't care how freaking magical your University of Wisconsin survey is. Mass E-mails should either be sent out with an "unsubscribe" link clearly visible at the bottom or they shouldn't be sent out at all.

I'm pretty certain that when you registered a forum account here, you agreed that you were OK with receiving emails from OC Remix. If you dislike recieving those emails, you can go to your user control panel, click edit options, and uncheck the box about recieving email from administrators. You'll never hear from them again. Or, since you have less than 50 posts in 7 years and you obviously aren't using it much, you can just close your forum account if you'd like.

Next time, consider asking a question first before being angry about it.

No thanks, I'll just get angry. I've signed on to a lot of message boards, and this is the only one I've seen where this administrative power is abused.

Would it really be so hard when you're sending out a message to hundreds (or thousands?) of people to include a little blurb at the end that says, "You are receiving this message because you have indicated in your OCRemix Forum Profile that you wish to receive E-mails from administrators; to unsubscribe, log in," and so on?

I wouldn't say that sending out roughly 5 administrative emails a year is abuse of power. I also wouldn't say it because OC Remix is not a democracy that caters to your every whim. It's Dave's site, and we get to come here because he's a pretty cool guy like that. I've given you two options to permanently fix the problem.

If you truly feel that strongly about the third, there's a site suggestions thread a little way up the page. You can go ask Dave to put an unsubscribe link in emails. If you ask nicely, he will probably either do it, or give you a very good reason why he hasn't already.

Would it really be so hard when you're sending out a message to hundreds (or thousands?) of people to include a little blurb at the end that says, "You are receiving this message because you have indicated in your OCRemix Forum Profile that you wish to receive E-mails from administrators; to unsubscribe, log in," and so on?

Agreed, we'll do it next time, and sorry.

The addition of such a footer is long overdue; in the past we've tried to simply send so few mass emails that we didn't think it'd be an issue, but either way, there are always a couple folks like yourself who aren't cool with it, and adding a message at the bottom shouldn't be much trouble.

I have just received yet another mass E-mail from OCRemix completely devoid of any unsubscription information. This is what some people call SPAM.

As much as I appreciate the work that goes on here, I don't really visit very much, and these E-mails are most unwelcome. I don't care how freaking magical your University of Wisconsin survey is. Mass E-mails should either be sent out with an "unsubscribe" link clearly visible at the bottom or they shouldn't be sent out at all.

"Outrage! LOAL."

That's my official response!

If you didn't want e-mails why did you check the box that said you're okay with them sending you e-mails?

Why did you check the box that said you're okay with us sending you e-mails? :-D

"Outrage! LOAL."

Why did you check the box that said you're okay with us sending you e-mails? :-D

I don't believe I did? Haha.

Maybe? I don't really remember seeing an e-mail from OCRemix. Except saying i have a new private message once in a while.

Edit: I just checked, and I have it enabled. I never see e-mails from OCRemix that I would consider spam anyways.

Why did you check the box that said you're okay with us sending you e-mails?

A fair question, but expecting folks to remember this selection potentially months later isn't realistic, and some people just have a kneejerk reaction to receiving email from anyone, about anything. At any rate, we need a standard footer for mass forum emails with instructions on unsubscribing - that's definitely a standard/best practice.

I'm not so sure I did either. I think that might have been the default setting when my account was transferred over to VBulletin.

But even then, usually it seems like a good idea to leave that box checked when signing onto a board in case the board administrators need to send an important message pertaining to, say, the administration of the board. Instead of surveys at the University of Wisconsin. ;)

Anyway, I'm glad the issue has been resolved. Your response is greatly appreciated. :)

A fair question, but expecting folks to remember this selection potentially months later isn't realistic, and some people just have a kneejerk reaction to receiving email from anyone, about anything. At any rate, we need a standard footer for mass forum emails with instructions on unsubscribing - that's definitely a standard/best practice.

Of course, BUT most people who want off just reply and say "unsubscribe" and *POOF* it's done. Magic! We're not bots here. :-D

"Outrage! LOAL."

Ditto. Would you like a little cheese with that whine?

Call it spam if you like, but heck, you act like you've just been subject to some treacherous and irreversible trauma. Good balls man, you're not a rape victim. You're going to get spam, it's a part of life. And you know what? It takes about 2.4 seconds to get rid of. Also, it's not like you can't opt to not receive them.

Now, it's very gracious of Dave to simply reply with "My apologies, we'll fix it next time," but since I'm not an *official* site admin or spokesperson, here's *my* response.

Screw you, man. So OCR sends out a few emails once in a while asking for a little support or simply trying to provide you with some cool info about the site. Well, here's my beef. You've apparently been registered since 2002. I'm going to be assumptive in that you've downloaded free music off the site, completely free of charge or obligation of any sort, but what do you give in return? Nothing. You find something to bitch about. Same thing with VotL. Rather than simply being happy that such a resource exists, you had to go and bitch about FLAC.

Well, I'm glad people like Liontamer can just laugh this crap off, and normally I can too, but you're also taking for granted the amount of work that goes into this site by people like Dave, Larry, & the other site staff (ahem) who try to make sure people like YOU have some great music to enjoy. And you get a couple emails once in a while and you act like the OCR has done you some terrible unjustice. The world doesn't owe you anyhing, bro. Get off your horse.

Based on the fact that:

1) You actually CAN unsubscribe

2) You're ALWAYS going to get spam/unwanted mails anyway

3) Unless you're too stupid to check, you can use the FILTER option in your email

I just don't understand what's got your skirt in such a twist. I never subscribed to receiving Pizza Hut coupons in the mail, but I get 'em anyway. You know what I do? I just throw 'em out and move on. Oh, except sometimes I actually DO eat at Pizza Hut, and I use 'em. Good grief.

Now that my rant is over, I shall shall end it on this note:

:nicework:

Why is he suddenly complaining now? Because OCR is sending a lot more e-mails now than it used to. Surveys, interviews, albums, and stuff. I mean, the administrative e-mail thing implied it would be important stuff, but I feel as if the e-mail's now are less important than they used to be. An "administrative" e-mail to me suggested terms of service changes, not an interview with some guy I've never heard of. And it is all stuff someone who regularly checks the site would see anyhow. I'm unsubscribing.

• 1 month later...
For the record, it's not his argument that upsets me. It's the tone.

It's the difference between "Please pass the salt." and "HEY! YOU ARE BOTHERING ME! I DEMAND THE GODDAM SALT NOW!"

DON'T PUT SALT ON THAT FOOD, YOU'RE INSULTING MY COOKING!

Look like internet access give the right to people to bitch about stuff whenever they can.

• 1 month later...