Super Castlevania 4 'Grim Reminder' (WIP)

scrabbleship

Remix: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/file/mduc-Grim%20Reminder.mp3 / Source: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Cv4-st2.mid

This is a metal remix I made of stage 2 of Castlevania IV. The file I linked is mostly presets but I plan on recording on a real instruments when it is more complete and I have had some feedback on it. I wasn't too sure about how much I should deviate from the source so any comments on arrangement would be appreciated. Additionally, I would like some feedback on the structure and how I might be able to improve my production on these makeshift mixes. Thanks.

Edit: Hmmm... It works for me but I'll upload it again. Here is the link: gmbx

Same problem.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[ ] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[X] Too quiet

[ ] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[ ] Generic/cliche sound choices

[ ] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[ ] Timing not tight enough

[ ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness

[ ] Poorly recorded

[ ] Bad intonation

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[ ] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[ ] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[ ] Abrupt ending

We're awaiting your actual remix, buddy.

Plays for me.

Not a lot to say. It's not great, and the quality of the "presets" is such that I don't feel I can really evaluate anything. The melody doesn't even really carry through! (too deep)

Besides, there's a feeling to rock when you have this deep (real) guitar going, and good percussions playing together. You can't have that feeling without real instruments.

yeah the guitar is hurting :(, and the snare drum sounds like its underwater, inside a coffin - I guess that's fitting for the game ;)

But yeah, the song takes forever to kick into some actual melody stuff, but the samples are really...uh...not good to put it nicely >_>

At least the bass instrument is fine ;)

PLUS there's a lot of clipping, so using a limiter would really help here - that and general volume reducing. Which is ironic because I had to pump the volume up here to be able to even hear it.

Sorry for the bad news man, but this track needs a complete make over. Here's the summary:

-guitar samples need to be changed to something less grating and real sounding (or a completely different instrument altogether). Mind you, I feel your pain, because guitars are tough to emulate, it's better to use real guitars...that or you mooch off of a guitarist OR buy a very, very expensive guitar synth which i do not recommend you do.

-snare drum sounds like it died 2 years ago - get a better snare sample or process it better!

-it takes too long to get into the melodies (perhaps thats because the starting is just too grating due to bad samples)

-Reduce the clipping and pump up the volume (after u get better samples)

-use a limiter - it will save your life :D

-most of all DON'T GIVE UP. And don't let our comments put you down - I made that mistake way back when and I still kinda do - but trust me, we mean the best for you. Good luck in your future remixes :D