Little Big Planet delayed

Nekofrog

I think it's more of a cultural thing, in Islamic art for example you aren't allowed to depict anything literally, especially if it's religious that's why Islamic art is all geometric patterns and such. I'm not sure about music, but maybe it's something similar.

Or maybe the Quran is extremely sacred to them, and they only wish for it to be spread in the "correct" way. The particular words in it aren't exactly nice words to have in a song, whether they're from the Quran or not.

Right. Just to correct you on something here. With art it's a gray area...stemming from preferring geometric patterns instead of depicting objects...it's not that one will be condemned or damned to hell should he/she prefer drawing objects objects. That's an extremist exaggeration. It's just a matter of preference.

As for your comments on music and the Holy Quran, you're exactly right. Allow me to elaborate on the details before more people start blowing fire.

First off, as a Muslim, I was extremely against the Ocarina of Time edits years ago...particularly the Fire Temple background music...'cause while that track used Muslim sayings (no Quran quotes), it was not used in an offensive way at all. Same thing with Zack and Wiki's small edit. OoT's Fire Temple track had very basic drums and effects that are influenced by our religious music...which is the right way to go with this type of content.

Now with LBP, I just listened to the tracks in question. In addition to the pop background music, the Quran quotes are being sung not read. "Tilawa" or "reading musically" is the only way in which the Quran can be read correctly and respectfully...singing the Quran in pop/jazz/African style is not a good idea at all. What's weird is that the composer of this track is a Muslim...so he/she should've known better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXZzdIa99Cc

"Anasheed" is what we call our religious music, and the music should follow this basic type with percussion and instruments. Heavy beat background music like pop, rock, or techno is a big no no with religious music. Additionally, verses from the Quran cannot be used in the way those LBP tracks did. In fact, people usually avoid using the Quran with music all together in order to not get carried away ala LBP. Better safe than sorry.

In any case, I'm glad Sony's taking action sooner than later. Respect.

Hopefully everyone gets what's exactly going on with the explanation provided by cobaltstarfire and I. It's not "offensive" or "condemning" per-se, it's just frowned upon. I mean, I'm NOT upset by this...and I'm sure many Muslims feel the same way. It's just that stuff like that can be deemed offensive if abused. This is the way to respect the Holy Quran.

And to whoever thinks that the Middle East doesn't have a big videogame fanbase, you're so wrong. Yes, we do have PS3s in the Middle East. We don't live in tents nor ride horses instead of cars. Sheesh.

EDIT: just noticed Shariq and David's posts. Good thing that you guys chimed in.

Glad Shariq chimed in. I did wanna clarify that I was simply being a dork above. I know it's not a deathchant. I was giggling at all the people that DO get their knickers in a twist over something like this. The actual e-mail from the message board was very tactful and appropriate, and while I still don't like the fact that release got pushed back, they couldn't have asked much nicer.

Throwing my two cents in the issue, I share a viewpoint similar to DJP.

I feel that Sony's making the right decision in recalling the game. LBP's goal was not to make a statement about anything religious, but rather create a globally fun, inoffensive experience. In this case, removing something that's offensive to a group of players is actually a prudent, intelligent move.

Throwing my two cents in the issue, I share a viewpoint similar to DJP.

I feel that Sony's making the right decision in recalling the game. LBP's goal was not to make a statement about anything religious, but rather create a globally fun, inoffensive experience. In this case, removing something that's offensive to a group of players is actually a prudent, intelligent move.

What he said...

After Shariq and Swordbreaker, I too (as a Muslim) would like to enter the debate. Sony were right to remove content which is deemed blasphemic by practicing Muslims, if music is mixed with the verses of the Quran. Music is still a very debatable matter among Muslims as many scholars as well as the teachings of the Prophet say that it diverts the mind of the one who is praying or reading the Quran. That is a logical justification as the Quran needs a peaceful and quiet environment for readers to fully comprehend its meaning. Having shed more light into the matter, I hope people can be more tolerant of other faiths and try to resist a bomb gag or flame war. As Altair once said may peace and blessing be upon you all...

Yeah, I'm tired of waiting for this game too. Been looking forward to it for a long time..

And I know it's already been said, but I have to say it again...

WHY ON EARTH ARE THESE KINDS OF LYRICS IN LITTLE BIG PLANET? SERIOUSLY? They're ridiculously dark and grim for a title open to all ages, regardless of whether they were from a religious text or not.

Seriously. It's a little ridiculous. Admittedly, I haven't played the game, but I've seen the theme and style that Media Molecule is going for and it doesn't fit at all.

The best way to compare it is to create an opposite to show distinction...

... Kill Bill Vol 1 with the soundtrack performed by Elmo.

This day is won by Truth and Justice.

No matter what anyone wants to call it, the whole debacle was bullshit to begin with.

Could the game have gone without the track? Yes. Could they have used something else instead of quotes from the Qu'ran? You betcha, and nobody would have been the wiser. But guess what? They DID use quotes from the Qu'ran, and it's within their goddamn rights to not have to change it.

Being PC and tolerant is great and all, but when it affects something that is in no way harmful to anyone in a negative fashion, it should not fly with anyone. My comment might have been brash, but it still pertains true to the fact that there is a high level of hypocritical intolerance among many hardline muslims.

Of course Sony is probably still gonna wuss out and switch it simply because the arab gaming community is(apparently) a huge Sony fanbase. What with all their missteps, they can't afford to lose that audience or something or other.

Sony is doing too many sucking up these days. Recalling the first Resistance for the usage of a history church (fucking boohoo. Who cares) and now this.

Also, presidential candidate Barack Obama being 'accused' of being Muslim. Oh, I never knew it was something bad to begin with. Christ.

This day is won by Truth and Justice.

No matter what anyone wants to call it, the whole debacle was bullshit to begin with.

Could the game have gone without the track? Yes. Could they have used something else instead of quotes from the Qu'ran? You betcha, and nobody would have been the wiser. But guess what? They DID use quotes from the Qu'ran, and it's within their goddamn rights to not have to change it.

Being PC and tolerant is great and all, but when it affects something that is in no way harmful to anyone in a negative fashion, it should not fly with anyone. My comment might have been brash, but it still pertains true to the fact that there is a high level of hypocritical intolerance among many hardline muslims.

Of course Sony is probably still gonna wuss out and switch it simply because the arab gaming community is(apparently) a huge Sony fanbase. What with all their missteps, they can't afford to lose that audience or something or other.

Like I explained in my previous post, this is not about "hypocritical intolerance" or anything like that. Fact of the matter is that the verses in question were used in such a wrong way it's hard not to be offended. I myself am not offended, but I can see why people can and will be. I don't mind being inspired by Islam as long as it's used the right way. I know that the composer is Muslim, but he should've known better and integrated those quotes in a more respectful fashion. It may be "quite normal" for him to use Quran quotes, but the fact is that it's not if you're singing those quotes and using pop background music. Ocarina of Time did it right with the Fire Temple track. Dreamfall had Arabic and mosques and I was so happy for those kind of references.

People are making such a big deal out of this nonetheless. No need to be upset. It's sad that gamers are still replying to this old news (in blogs, media sites, forums, etc) with such anger and offense, but I won't stoop to their level and become offended by such comments. Sony thought "better safe than sorry" and delayed the game for a mere week. Quranic references were so subtle and minor, but were caught by some Muslim fans who kindly requested Sony to remove it. That's it. End of story.

They should've released the game. Fuck it. I don't even care about LBP and I say that. If they had put in some Latin quote from the Bible that talked about how unbelievers are damned to Hell or something, I as an atheist would've cared less and that would've been a direct attack on me. Biblical latin quotes are cool. This Qua'ran stuff wasn't attacking anyone. I'm sorry but some line about death doesn't qualify as dark or inappropriate to me. Death is a truth of the universe as much as Life is. No use hiding it from anyone of any age. If you actually listen to the song, it isn't like the song is of some genre that just doesn't work well for LBP. If it had been about death AND Death Metal or Nu Metal I would've been a little more questioning as to whether the song worked for LBP just because of the genre choice.

Of course, since everyone is going to go out and buy the game next week, Sony will assume you don't care about what they did.

This spot reserved for massive e-penis growth

Friday, October 17th 7:30 Pacific

LBP1.jpg

LBP2.jpg

*Acknowledges you* (omg! lolwtfbbq)

Hehe any ways. Just curious, is that the game version with what ever it was that had it recalled to please the Muslim community?

If so, what exactly are the two “expressions” from the Qur’an contained within it any how?

I've never really done much research on that religion. But I still feel like this is somewhat a bogus reason for delaying the game. Like they had to tweak something in it, and the lyrics was PART of the reason for the delay.

That game would definitely be in my Playstation, if I had one that is...

And don't think I wouldn't recreate a Super Mario Bros. Level, don't think somebody ISN'T going to do it. I can only wait for the youtube videos to show it!!!