Top Ten Game Themes Ever

XZero

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41663.html

The list is as follows:

10 - Green Hill Zone Theme (Sonic the Hedghog)

09 - Gangplank Galleon (Donkey Kong Country)

08 - Prelude (Final Fantasy)

07 - Fear of the Heavens (Secret of Mana)

06 - The Moon (Ducktales)

05 - Super Mario Bros. Theme (Super Mario Bros.)

04 - Super Metroid Theme (Super Metroid)

03 - Grabbag - Duke Nukem Theme (Duke Nukem 3D)

02 - Wily Stage 1 (Mega Man 2)

01 - Legend of Zelda Theme (Zelda Series)

Without turning this into an individual top-10 thread, do you guys agree with this listing, or should a theme/franchise have been represented instead?

Would be interesting to turn this into an experiment. Load up a few dozen short themes from various games in a youtube vid, have ppl list the ones they recognize in their own top ten list. Then just assemble that, assign points to each score, and crunch some numbers.

Anyway, most of the themes/games listed are from the snes era, and many younger gamers might not recognize them without having been introduced to the oldies but godies. Duke Nukem, SoM, Sonic, DKC... Mega Man 2? Ducktales!?

I can't help but feel that some of these choices were influenced by the popularity of the track and the game itself rather than how good the music is.

I mean, really, the Super Mario Bros. theme? Sure, it's pretty catchy and more or less everyone who plays video games knows it, but is it actually that great a piece of music in and of itself? I certainly don't find it as impressive as Wily 2, for instance.

Maybe I'm just bitter that Calling from Heaven isn't on there anywhere, though. Why has nobody remixed that yet?

Because someone (Konami) already has remixed it and it rocked

Turning an epic, vivid and inspiring tune into something that depresses the hell out of me.

That's not to say it's a bad remix, but nevertheless, I'd like to hear a cover that retains the original feel enough to not make me want to kill myself.

I can't help but feel that some of these choices were influenced by the popularity of the track and the game itself rather than how good the music is.

I mean, really, the Super Mario Bros. theme? Sure, it's pretty catchy and more or less everyone who plays video games knows it, but is it actually that great a piece of music in and of itself? I certainly don't find it as impressive as Wily 2, for instance.

I'll second this notion. ScrewAttack is misconstruing quantity for quality.

One thing they did right, though, was not insist on sticking with the original "classic" theme. I was glad to see that the SNES Zelda Overworld got the majority of the segment. I would consider that the best version as far as composition goes.

What would be more useful to the internet community, though, would be a top ten music themes list "from games you've never heard of" or something like that.

I'll second this notion. ScrewAttack is misconstruing quantity for quality.

One thing they did right, though, was not insist on sticking with the original "classic" theme. I was glad to see that the SNES Zelda Overworld got the majority of the segment. I would consider that the best version as far as composition goes.

What would be more useful to the internet community, though, would be a top ten music themes list "from games you've never heard of" or something like that.

Well for a start, the list was made by through a voting system, so only the best and well-known tracks would have been chosen.

Having 'The most popular video games tracks' as a title would be a more accurate representation of this, because the more popular tracks in the more popular games are the ones that get voted for. Everyone knows mario, zelda, FF, sonic etc. tracks will be included because of the games popularity's.

Its like the coop said, the track he liked that wasn't on the list, I had never heard before, but had heard the majority of the tracks in the top ten list. I think it is pretty safe to say that there are better game themes than the ones that are on that list, but not enough people have heard them to make an impact.

At the end of the day, its impossible to select the 'be-all end-all' best video game track because everyone has different tastes in music. Thus OCR's no fav rule.

What constitutes a gaming theme? Can a singular level be a "theme?" Does it have to appear more than once?

Anyway, I'm surprised there was no Contra jungle.

And I too have never held that Duke Nukem song in any sort of pantheon...

Hey at least they chose the Final Fantasy "Prelude" over "One-Winged Angel" :roll:

Remember that was back when true videogame music (as compared to short ditties) was in its infancy; it set the stage for all that came afterwards.

Its like the coop said, the track he liked that wasn't on the list, I had never heard before, but had heard the majority of the tracks in the top ten list. I think it is pretty safe to say that there are better game themes than the ones that are on that list, but not enough people have heard them to make an impact.

Actually, I was being sarcastic. That track from Sky Target is certainly so weird that it's memorable, but it wouldn't be close to anything I'd place at the top of my list. Themes like Metal Squad from Thunder Force IV, Requiem For The Nameless Victims from Castlevania: Bloodlines, Setting Out from Elemental Master, and the ongoing level 1 theme from the "Ghosts" series (Ghosts 'N Goblins, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, etc.) would being among my personal top picks.

Maybe I'm just bitter that Calling from Heaven isn't on there anywhere, though. Why has nobody remixed that yet?

One of these days, I will somehow coordinate a Castlevania: Bloodlines remix project. Even if I never become a great remixer, I want to somehow get people together to make this project reality.

Doing a Top 10 is always going to severly limit things. Doing a Top 20 would have probably yielded better diversity. I would have ranked some Silent Hill music up there along with Castlevania.

One of these days, I will somehow coordinate a Castlevania: Bloodlines remix project. Even if I never become a great remixer, I want to somehow get people together to make this project reality.

If the project requirements were below "OCR quality", I'd jump on board happily. It would give me a perfect excuse to do another remix of Requiem For The Nameless Victims :-D

One of these days, I will somehow coordinate a Castlevania: Bloodlines remix project.

I'm on record right now as claiming "Iron-Blue Intention."

Top twenty might not have helped either: as far as many folks are concerned, Nintendo consoles had the monopoly on classic music. It's a bit of a pity. I wonder if anything close to a decent amount of suggestions from arcade titles of the 80's were made (Shinobi? Outrun? Hello?).

I'm on record right now as claiming "Iron-Blue Intention."

If the project requirements were below "OCR quality", I'd jump on board happily. It would give me a perfect excuse to do another remix of Requiem For The Nameless Victims

Well shit you guys....you might just give me a reason to start this up....which would be awesome beyond words.

*goes to scheme*