OCR00334 - Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom "Tomato Juice"

Saunders

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hearing to these 64-192/256 pannings, and according to the song structure, this seems like a 4-channel MODule file, that could be made in a very old tracker, or even on an Amiga.

even my remixes are more complex (at least I use a newer tracker and once I used even 12 channels (OMG))

:yes: (because I approve everyone who uses a tracker)

• 2 months later...

I just searched through the list of remixes and just had to review this one, I have never heard of this game but only the name of it fascinates me.

Sadly, I cannot say likewise about the remix. I get the jazzy feeling that this song extrudes, but the quality of the instruments might cut some joy from it. It's a decent track, but it sounds like if it has been brought directly out a SNES game. Not a bad thing, but I felt that this remix could've been better, that's all. Good points about it is as I said the feeling with it. Not only jazzy, but also some sort of underwater prescense.

Solid remix, maybe I'll check out JazzFlight's other remix too. Nice stuff. 8)

• 10 months later...

When people talk about having high standards for tracks, I always think about this one. It's... pretty bad. I mean, there's nothing to it. But I think the reason I like it is because the source music is so good.

It kinda makes me laugh, actually. I dunno why. But I just really like it. I implore you to give it a download and check it out. You'll see what I'm talking about in the "bad" sense. Nothing is inherently "bad," per se, but with this, you'll see it almost sounds like random wackiness attacking your skull. But for me, with this track, it works. That goofy, doubled-delayed guitar part really gets me, and with that off-the-cuff synth sound... I dunno.

It's hard to put emotion into words sometimes. And that's why we have music ;)

So something about this represents a messed up portion of my head where, when I hear this, all is right with the world.

Check it out!

• 3 weeks later...

This really needs a sound upgrade, because underneath the midi sounds, there is something that is substantial. For the first few listens, the song seems to just be a random collection of motifs, but after awhile, you start to hear how everything is connected.

The ending is a bit strange and abrupt, but it doesn't detract from the quirky feel of the song as a whole.

• 11 months later...

I was mostly surprised that someone did a remix of any song from this game. It was one of my favorites around that time, and the first menu-based game I ever played.

Anyway, as for the song... The main down-side is that the quality isn't that great; it's not really different from your average MIDI. It also doesn't seem to really go anywhere near the end, and so it ends rather abruptly. But, the song itself is good, and the arrangement reflects the quirkiness of the original game. KF

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not familiar with the game at all, but with a name like "Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom", I wouldn't really expect such a deep/dark remix. It's not as dark as say the Doom II remixes, but all things being relative, I'd say it's pretty dark/intense.

Very quirky, and I'm not much of a fan of the echoing guitars.

It's definitely a weird mix no matter how you size it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The Salad Bar Liveth On!

This game was the cheesiest & CHEAPEST cart I found when I bought my first NES back in the early 90's. My mom & us were quite poor for a bit, so we got our first NES late. :-P

Game was a "cutesy" family-styled game but it was nonetheless a good game by Hudson. So this song fits in nicely.

Alas, the NES hardware wouldn't support this but if they ever would have ported it to the SNES, we'd be set!

• 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00334 - Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom "Tomato Juice"