Kingdom Hearts 'Wandering Through the Darkness'

Hello, everyone. I, and a friend of mine (who will be credited), have been working on a rearrangement of "Riku" from Kingdom Hearts II. We would like some feedback on this before we decide whether or not to post it. So, I would be glad if you could leave us some constructive critism.

http://www.uploading.com/files/UXMC3Q2H/Walking_through_the_Darkness.MP3.html

Original = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNP2murYygQ

Well, on the song itself, I inverted the key to F minor (the original key of was A flat minor). That's why the melody sounds different, but the key placement is basically the same.

Consider using another host, we've got a thread here with some suggestions.

No source link, no source comment.

Hmm... loads of reverb, and a little too strong bass on the piano. Bass note is sustained, could use some variation in cutoff, volume, something when sustained for that long. Piano persists, muds up the sound a bit.

Snare drum needs some velocity variation to be more interesting. The other drum doesn't quite sound good in this context, there's some electronic pitch motion going on in it, and it just doesn't work for me. Strings/pad in the bg is pretty, but is buried behind the poorly mixed piano and snare. Piano melody is also pretty, and would benefit from the other parts not dominating like this.

Snare rhythm is kind'a repetitive too. And it ends without warning, then comes right back in. You need some better transitions. overall, past 3 mins, the track is getting dull, as it doesn't really change much. it's just the same loops over and over, and it gets old.

These are some criticisms that I hope you'll find constructive. basically, you need more variation, a clear progression from start to finish, some work on the mixing, humanization and variation in the sound of the instruments, stuff like that. It sounds like this is a fairly new thing for you, whether that be remixing, this style/sound, the software, or making music overall... so don't take the crits the wrong way.

I hope this helps. This track could be just downright beautiful wit the right work. Good luck.

No source link = There's no link to the original...

No source comment = ...so I won't look it up.

It's because it's faster for everyone on the wip board if there's a link to a midi or youtube vid of the original so we can compare. With some remixes, you need to be very familiar with the original to recognize it, and if it takes 4 wip reviewers until someone familiar enough with it can point out that they all got the wrong track, then their feedback on how the track is interpreted is as well as the time to look for the source and the time to evaluate how well it's been used.. then they've just wasted their time.

I'm just trying to get wip posters to provide a link to the original. Makes it easier for everyone, and it's in your best interest to make it easy for us to provide good feedback.

It usually means that after a few posts, the original poster, or Spakku or Willrock, posts the link. It's better if the original poster does it when he posts the wip.

Just sayin'.

I'm going to agree with Rozovian on this one, and add that it would probably help to turn the volume on the snare drum down. It really drowns out what you're doing with the rest of the song. Also work on interpreting what you've got more. It really does sound like a loop, and at the four and a half minutes that can get pretty tough to listen to.

I do want to say though that you've got a good transition at about :52. I know that the piano didn't actually disappear, but bringing it back with a fade-in during the absence of the other instruments was a good choice.

I like what you've got going so far, so don't give up. Give it some variety and some interpretation, I look forward to hearing what you do with it.