OCR01013 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (SCD) "Drift"

djpretzel

Yes, this song is finally posted! To quote an AIM conversation I had three months ago with SGX:

April 27, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

KalebGrace (8:05:05 PM): Wow

KalebGrace (8:05:08 PM): Drift

SuperGreenX (8:05:10 PM): suup

SuperGreenX (8:05:11 PM): thanks

KalebGrace (8:05:20 PM): has to be your best remix

KalebGrace (8:05:33 PM): It's awesome

SuperGreenX (8:05:34 PM): btw, the OC mix submission version is up in the same webspace

SuperGreenX (8:05:35 PM): thanks

I have AIM+, so I can just pull ancient stuff like this from the archives. Nifty add-on. Anyways, enough about that.

This mix is very awesome. It takes a sweet song and brilliantly expands upon it. I can't describe it right now, so if you haven't heard it yet, just download it. You can thank SGX later. :)

Oddly enough, I cant find a huge ammount to say about this.

About three quaters of the way through I didnt like the juddery effect the synths had...though now I listen again, that was probably my end playing up.

Its pretty good, though not a lot of variation, even for an ambient track.

But its good for background music and stuff so...yeah.

Beautiful, just beautiful. Sadly, I don't know how the original sounds but it had to be very good to stand up to this piece of work. Actually I was going to write this just after listening to only the first minute. It seems like the track builds up till around the one-minute-border and then goes on for two minutes just the way SGX wanted the music to be. Around 3'00 I noticed this slight change and I thought: "Two minutes to go, what is he up to now?" From there on the melody is more beat-carried, which does not corrupt the peaceful athmosphere created till then in any way. Perfect piece of art in my ear. Keep up that work man!

edit: A compliment by ziwtra, master of peaceful sounds? Man now you gotta be happy.

Beautiful mix from a beautiful game. Everything works and flows together well. I downloaded this from his site about a month ago and was wondering when it was gonna be accepted :) My only issue with the song is that some of the samples are a bit tinny sounding, but thats just nitpicking. Hope to hear more in the future :)

Lomion, the original song, called "Heart of the Giant", can be downloaded from EccoServ in the mp3 section.

Hmmmmmmmm....

*licks song*

It tastes pretty good to me. You know, all mellow and vibey. I love a song that takes you places - and this does just that. It's literally one of those songs that walks you through a "story". Whether it be the Ecco story or some funky thing in my head, it's a good background piece to whatever mood you're in.

I like it.

Hey, thanks everyone for commenting. I'm very glad you guys dig it. It was a fun mix to make.

Lomion, the original song, called "Heart of the Giant", can be downloaded from EccoServ in the mp3 section.
Hmmm....I ripped the music from the game CD, and the CDDB database said it's name was "Aqua Vistas". Well, whatever :).

Actually yeah I've had that problem too, because I downloaded it from WinMX and all the titles are screwed up; The Desert Below was called Aqua Vistas by mistake. But Arkonviox.com used to have a scan of the CD cover and inside and track 8 was listed as Heart of the Giant. But whatever, it's a really good mix and offers a nice spin on the track :)

Maybe you should remix Aqua Vistas too :wink:

8.5 / 10

What a... soothing song! I really like most of this. It makes me think of looking out over the ocean on a clear, moonless night, watching the stars and the water. When the song opens-up, to borrow someone else's phrase, to become vast, it makes you feel so...alone. I really like it, but the downside is that the bits between the parts where it "expands" are mediocre. Not bad, but overshadowed by the rest of the song. But I suppose that in order to have mountains, you have to have valleys. Very good.

This reminds me a lot of Delerium, at least for the first part (it seems like a lot of you guys' music is reminding me of Bill Leebs work...I guess that's a good thing though). I love the layering of the strings and pads, how they build up on each other and break apart. The drums are subtly varied, and are interesting and well-used, and set a great groove for the peice to ride on.

The drums could have been toned down a little, and the panned kick drum kind of got to me (but I have this thing against panned kick drums). The synth that starts up at around 1:40 sounds a little..off, like it has just a little too much attack; but it quickly gets blended into the rest of the music and is hardly noticable after long. The jittery fill on the synth starting at 3:14 seems a little forced, and goes against the grain of the rest of the music. When I first heard it I thought it was an encoding error.

It's very nice to listen to, although I kept wanting to hear more things going on in the song, little background ambience things. Nice job overall though. Thumbs up.

The kick drum is not panned at all.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that maybe the drums ARE panned a little. That gets a huge WTF from me, since I didn't mean to do that. I have slight hearing issues and one ear does not hear as well as the other, so I guess I didn't catch it since it is hard for me to gauge panning stuff.

Nice intro. Great use of ambient noise. I love the lead that comes in at 00:15. Fits oh-so-nicely. Bass coming in is fine as well.

The percussion seems a bit strange at 00:30, but I think that might just be my ears. When the kick and snare come in at 00:37, it evolves. I like the slow building of the melody. That works really well.

1:01. The synth behind the melody is kind of strange, as is the reverse cymbal at 1:09.

1:16 - AH GOD, dude, I love this part. It's awesome. Everything from here on is great, except that second chord in the progression - it has a wierd tone. It works, but it's just not my taste. It actually works v. well, just not something I'm used to. Nice use of dynamics and percussion coming back to the quiet section at 1:31, though I think a cymbal roll would have worked well there.

Percussion at 1:46 - woo, I love it. It fits so well. The lead at 2:02 is a wierd noise, but again, it flows well. The noises in the background are great - really exemplifies the fact this is ambient.

2:32 - returning to the the chordal theme again. I like it, especially with the percussion there. The gong entering into the quiet part again works almost better than a cymbal roll.

2:51 - that sound is freaky. Kinda strange.

3:01 - nice false buildup.

3:03 - the beat oriented melody is awesome. I love to see mixers experimenting more with this. It's strong, v. strong, gives it a unique feel.

No complaints nor comments up until 4:26, everything works fine and is v. aurally pleasing.

4:26 - That reverse cymbal again. It's so wierd!

The way it ends with the ambient noise and the lightly fading melody is kind of cliche, but it's so good.

Overall, amazing piece. More than made it onto my playlists - it's at the top for a while. Good work, SGX.

One word: Hot.

The ambient whale sounds are timed and executed very well throughout. I like the light and kinda floating feeling created by the drums, it adds more depth to the underwater setting of the song. The drums fills, kicks, etc. are good (I pay a lot of attention to them). I'm fond of the drum progression and additive complexity, particularly the changed around 1:46. The following synth that is introduced around 2:01 fits well, imho, as do the rest of them for that matter. I like the section at 2:31 in contrast to its earlier rendition. The addition of the new drum sequences is a nice compliment for it. The introduction of the toms adds another layer of nature to the song, I think, and fits well.

I can't really find anything I don't like, not that that's surprising. Pwned.

The first half sounds nice, but I think the drum track and the harder synths about half way through the piece eventually change the mood to make the piece seem not as massive (to me, anyway). I think the original has a fuller sound to it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01013 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (SCD) "Drift"