Professional artists similar to OC ReMix?

DarthVivi

I'm not sure if this question has been asked many times before because I don't really come to these forums.

Anyway, my experience with OC Remix is that it is better than almost everything produced by the music industry. The main reason I think this is because I don't like anything with vocals, so that rules out at least 90% of everything. Of course there's lots of nonvocal electronic music, but even then I rarely find anything I like because most electronic producers either try to be "complex" and create music with no melody, or they make extremely repetitive dance music. I like OC Remix because it has no vocals, AND good melody.

I know my tastes are odd...but does anyone think they could recommend some artists for me? I would just listen to OC Remix, but I've heard every track on the site dozens of time :D

Well, I have four original albums out (soon to be five), all of which I did AFTER I started remixing. They all carry the VGM influence and most do not have vocals (Antigravity, my third album, has two vocal tracks feat. pixietricks.) Hundreds of people from OCR have purchased and enjoyed 'em, so maybe you will too:

http://www.cdbaby.com/all/zircon (I recommend skipping Phasma Elementum though!)

^^^ Check out previews and order digital MP3 copies there, or a physical copy of Antigravity. All that stuff is also on iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, Amazon.mp3, you name it. WAV downloads are available from my website store.

Yeah, there are several artists in the community here who release original work along with remixes.

I just released my first album "One Day Millennium," which you can check out here with previews and all that. One of the calling cards of the albums is that I strove to be sure that every track had a strong, memorable melody. It's certainly videogame-ish in that aspect.

You guys, I don't think he was asking for remixers who also make original electronica - I think he's asking for electronic music that has the general kind of "style" a lot of remixes have (arists similar to, not artists from).

That said, it sounds like you're looking for some electronica with a strong emphasis on melody or hooks (since a lot of remixes by nature have to have those). I wouldn't be able to give you a lot of recommendations, but I can look around! I'll post some if I can think of any.

Let's see - could go in a few different directions. I went through my library and tried to think of some that would fit the bill, though my library isn't really massive enough to give you a lot of examples.

First, maybe check out the album The First Phase by Troubleman. It doesn't have extremely pronounced melodies but it has a lot of depth and atmosphere and it has some awesome rhythms. Also consider the album Time Out of Mind by Troubleman, which is more musical but occasionally has lyrics.

I'd also recommend the album The Seduction of Claude Debussy by The Art of Noise. This is a really interesting fusion of a whole bunch of different styles but it has really pronounced melodies since, while it's electronica, it's based on Debussy's piano/orchestral music. The only lyrics are occasional narration, some opera singing in a couple tracks, and one with rap.

You might also want to check out some stuff by Moby. He's done tons of instrumental music (and tons with vocals but they're easy to avoid) and a lot of it has some simple melody-lines that he builds on. As far as finding music with the "OCR style", check out, say, the soundtrack to Sinistar Unleashed. Really atmospheric, catchy, instrumental music, and the tracks are lengthy. Has that kind of feel you might be looking for.

As far as free domain stuff I can actually link you, maybe check out some of the music found at http://kahvi.org/ (which, by the way, is found in Overcoat's free music thread). They have mostly mood music with not a lot of melody, but some of them do - and it's all instrumental and all free. Something else you might really like is music by Malcos (he has some remixes here) found at http://malcos.co.uk/ - he has some really nice instrumental music with catchy, hip-hopish kind of beats. And, yeah, if you feel like it, click my sig and download my album Superscape, which is also free and focuses pretty strongly on melody-lines in many tracks (and is all instrumental).

I'm going to go ahead and say there really isn't a wide variety of music like OCR that isn't OCR. I mean, I'd check out newgrounds or something but most electronic producers take on a different mindset than the folks here at OCR and vice versa. Thats why there aren't an insane amount of remixes on here that are meant for clubs, this site just attracts a different style.

You guys, I don't think he was asking for remixers who also make original electronica - I think he's asking for electronic music that has the general kind of "style" a lot of remixes have (arists similar to, not artists from).

I don't think he's specifically asking for electronic music, either. He just mentioned it as something that comes close to what he wants (professional music with no vocals), but is still somewhat lacking (no melody, repetitive).

Thanks everyone, there are a lot of great suggestions in this topic! I plan to try everything suggested. Right now I'm in the middle of listening to Zircon's Impulse Prime album via the Rhapsody subscription my family shares. It is excellent so far - exactly the type of music I was looking for.

By the way, here are a few random artists I do like that meet my previous description:

Ronald Jenkees - I discovered this guy on Youtube. He has very entertaining videos and his first album is great (second on the way). There's a lot of hip hop influence in his music, but done very well.

Ratatat - Probably not very well known. I stumbled across their album LP3 last weekend and really enjoyed it.

Squarepusher - Actually I don't think I like most of his music, but I enjoyed his most recent album Hello Everything.

Check out the group Afro Celt Sound System. They do a pleasing blend of world instruments & voices with deep electronic soundscapes.

EDIT: Bah, that's right, you hate vocals. :-( Well, most of the vocals are foreign, so you won't understand what they're saying, if it's lyrics more than the human voice that ticks you off.

Also, do you ONLY go for electronic music, or are you a soundtrack fan too? If you haven't heard it before, Bear McCreary's soundtracks for the new Battlestar Galactica series have some real gems (aside from all the ambient tracks).