OCR01767 - Star Fox "Barrel Roll"

djpretzel

A slammin mix! I personally love the voices in there- they add a little something special and nostalgic to those who played the game before. Ah, the memories. But I digress. This mix is great- very upbeat and catchy. Nice breaks in there to keep you hooked throughout. I like how the piano is incorporated- very suave. All the elements of a great trance track. Defiantly going on mah Ipod. Great work! Looking forward to hearing more of your work PrototypeRaptor!

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!

Another WIP (and active WIP'er) getting posted on the site!

And, I must say, it sounds oh so many times more awesome than the version I last heard in the WIP boards.

And whilst it may have been a hard road to finally get accepted, I must say, the journey was all for the better, at least, for the fans, haha.

Congratulations nonetheless.

Gonna have to agree with the judges that the voice samples feel largely out of place after the initial conversation. I'm not really digging the trance style, either. I'm impressed in that Raptor's been able to keep what is a short sample tune fresh for six minutes, though. The trance itself is repetitive sounding, but clearly the ideas within different sections of the song are very different and I salute him for that. But even with that appreciation, this song never really grabbed me. It really lacked a punch, though it still had energy, if that makes sense.

I guess what I'm trying to get at was there wasn't a hook, and beyond that I don't really feel as though it stuck out too much. Again, I do really like the variation throughout the song in terms of ideas, but the execution just didn't do too much for me. Despite that, it's a great effort and I do hope to see more from Raptor.

Nice production, I'm enjoying this a lot. Going on my study playlist. :nicework:

do you dance hardcore while you study? cause this song has too much energy for me to concentrate haha

but then again maybe thats how you roll, (LOL GET IT?!)

sorry, but yeah, i love this mix, any trance song always give me the implication that its gonna be "simple" but once again i was proven wrong with this song. GREAT stuff

I enjoy this mix immensely. In fact, this mix made me get off the fence and sign up for the forums just so I could express how much I enjoy it. :)

Trance as a genre does get knocked for a seeming lack of creativity/repetitiveness (to which I reply, have you listened to hip-hop, ever?), but this mix has variety/creativity in spades. There's an attention to detail, lots of layering/texturing, and importantly, a sense of forward motion. It seems that people feel the need to apologize for posting/creating a trance mix... this mix needs no apology whatsoever.

On an unrelated note... previous remix filenames from this game were titled Starfox, whereas this one is Star Fox. So this mix is out of position in my OCR music directory (or the other mixes are incorrect; either way, could that be fixed at some point?). I can rename the file, but I wanted to let someone know so others would be able to find the remix if they sort their playlists by filename :D

Anyway, thanks PrototypeRaptor. Look forward to hearing more of your work!

Trance mix of the year, flat out. I'm listening to it for the first time right now and it will be repeated several more. Great use of soundscapes, there's a layering effect to this mix that gives it a very expansive feeling, specifically the synth pad always in the background. It manages to be powerful and loud without ever being overpowering and obnoxious. Instruments are layered in and faded naturally, smoothly, and beautifully. Also a surprising amount of varation and change for a trance mix. I appreciate that you didn't rest on your laurels and follow the exact same vector through the whole mix. I love the voices at the beginning. I think what surprises me most is that you just took the theme from a game that I've always thought was rather stupid (come on, it's furries in space) and made it actually inspiring. I wanna go kick ass when I hear this.

Perhaps the best compliment I can give you is that if I hadn't known it was you, I would've said without a doubt this was some of Beatdrop's work. Nice work.

First off, nice intro.

I like the voice samples used in the beginning of the song. Yes, it's cheesy, but it's also fun. However, I'm not really fond of the "Do a barrel roll" used throughout the mix, simply because I don't like how the "barrel roll" part of it sounds.

Other than that, there's no real issues here. Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01767 - Star Fox "Barrel Roll"