So i finally got a 360...

Raziellink

But i have a little problem. I have no fucking clue how to get it online. I read the manual, and asked around, but seemingly the only way to get it done is through cable.

Here's the problem, we have wireless. Is there any Microsoft endorsed (or Microsoft made) reciever? I think i've seen one in the online Microsoft shops, but it cost 70 euro's. Fuck that.

Thems the breaks, man. Pretty sure all wireless routers have wired ports too though, so you could probably get away with just having a really long Ethernet cable (although that costs like $30 in itself). There's also kits that basically consist of two units that you can plug each end of the connection into, but I dunno how reliable and/or cost-efficient those are.

Thems the breaks, man. Pretty sure all wireless routers have wired ports too though, so you could probably get away with just having a really long Ethernet cable (although that costs like $30 in itself). There's also kits that basically consist of two units that you can plug each end of the connection into, but I dunno how reliable and/or cost-efficient those are.

It does, but i've always wondered....doesn't that take away the whole point of being WIRELESS?!

But like i said; cable? Not an option. The router is downstairs, and the 360 is two stories higher. Ergo wireless. I just found out the Microsoft one (which actually costs 80 euro's...) works via a USB reciever. I still have one of those for our old computer. I am gon check if that works tomorrow.

A while back I saw one of these. They look pretty cool and people seem to like them, but I have never tried it myself.

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/wireless-networking/m/945185/

Essentially, you can plug it into the ethernet port, and it will connect to an existing wireless network. Works for any console supposedly too. Google it a bit and have fun looking around.

You could also try connecting your laptop to your 360 via USB, set your laptop's net to bridged connections and have it connect to the router via WiFi.

Not sure if that actually works though.

I'm pretty sure that doing that would fry something. You would need to have usb hub that would keep the power connections from bridging, and making a camp fire out of the devices involved.

I think what you are talking about is the Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter. You can get 3rd party wireless adapters that cost less, but I have never seen one and have no experience with them. The microsoft one works excellently, but they do cost a lot. Check ebay, you should find one much cheaper than 70 euro, or a 3rd party one for even cheaper.

I found mine at a pawn shop for 20 CDN and bought it thinking what the heck. Didn't realize that I just saved myself 100 bucks! Hope you find a good deal.

You could also try connecting your laptop to your 360 via USB, set your laptop's net to bridged connections and have it connect to the router via WiFi.

Not sure if that actually works though.

This is correct except instead of USB it's an ethernet cable. Then have your laptop connect to the internet. Here's some copy pasta

The good news is you don't have to drop £50 on Microsoft's offensively overpriced Wi-Fi adaptor. The bad news is you'll need a laptop with W-Fi to do it. Head to Control Panel – Network Connections (In Windows XP) or Network & Sharing Center – Manage Network Connections (in Vista). Select the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Network Connection at once, then right-click and hit 'bridge connections'.

Disconnect then reconnect to your wireless network, run a network cable from the laptop's Ethernet port to the 360's, and you should be good to go. Unfortunately, you may have to remove the bridge (repeat the above process and you'll see the option) whenever you want to browse the net with the laptop.

But like i said; cable? Not an option. The router is downstairs, and the 360 is two stories higher.

There's basically limitless lengths that CAT5 cable can go to - I have a 75 footer, for example, that I use to connect my computer to a router in the other room... kinda overkill :D but you could say, run it through your vents if you have em :D

...you have 3 stories? damn

There's basically limitless lengths that CAT5 cable can go to - I have a 75 footer, for example, that I use to connect my computer to a router in the other room... kinda overkill :D but you could say, run it through your vents if you have em :D

...you have 3 stories? damn

Don't think that we're rich. It's just the way the house is build. :)

I take it that it's a townhouse..? I recall some houses in Wash. D.C. that are 3, (4 stories if you include the basement), that are like that and are connected to other houses...

In any rate just plop down some cat5 cable.

Not sure what the heck you mean with a townhouse...dunno the name, but our garage is IN our house. Like, actual part of it? So basically, our first floor is 2/3 garage. A big garage, but a garage, nevertheless.

And thanks for the help guys, i found a rather cheap one on Ebay, hopefully i'll win it.

Not sure what the heck you mean with a townhouse...dunno the name, but our garage is IN our house. Like, actual part of it? So basically, our first floor is 2/3 garage. A big garage, but a garage, nevertheless.

And thanks for the help guys, i found a rather cheap one on Ebay, hopefully i'll win it.

Sounds like you need some ejumacation

The way you describe your house pretty much describes some houses around Wash D.C. as well as up here in Maryland; a townhouse...

Goodluck on that ebay purchase though.