Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO

Schwaltzvald

Got to be in last weekend's beta. Had a lot of fun. Gave me the time to pick the classes I'm going after when it releases live.

Sith Sorcerer (heals+ranged dps, it's win/win)

And one other, I'm torn between the Jedi and the Smuggler. :/

I know my normal crew is playing on the Empire side. I'm probably going to Imperial Operative, but I'll have to discuss it with them. I think we're not going to be happy about the 4-person team limit, though...

We're also ticked because I can't reserve my spot on our guild roster. :|

I know my normal crew is playing on the Empire side. I'm probably going to Imperial Operative, but I'll have to discuss it with them. I think we're not going to be happy about the 4-person team limit, though...

We're also ticked because I can't reserve my spot on our guild roster. :|

Yeah, 4 people per group just makes it awkward. Forces more healers and tanks.

Yeah, 4 people per group just makes it awkward. Forces more healers and tanks.

Compared to what? Isn't WoW's standard 5-man groups? Losing one DPS slot doesn't seem like that big a deal. I think Powerlord's comment was more about the fact that 4-man groups means that fewer of his friends can play together at once rather than being about game balance.

I plan to go Jedi Guardian, personally. Lightsaber AND heavy armor? Awesome.

Compared to what? Isn't WoW's standard 5-man groups? Losing one DPS slot doesn't seem like that big a deal. I think Powerlord's comment was more about the fact that 4-man groups means that fewer of his friends can play together at once rather than being about game balance.

A bit of both, actually. I think I have 4 friends plus myself playing to start, which really sucks when you only have groups of 4.

Well, the game looked like fun in the trailers and the concepts are interesting, but when I got in the game I really (REALLY) felt I had just hopped in WoW's engine with different content. Maybe it's a fun game, and maybe the content is really awesome, but my few hours of early-game experience were not that awesome.

In fact, I had more fun with this than with WoW's trial, so that's good. But the mechanics were simply copy-pasted xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Absolutely nothing wrong with that..

maybe if you like wow, yeah

I thought a big difference was the story involvement; full voice acting, dialog trees, etc? Or does story not count now.

consider that this might just be the most expensive game ever made and just how easily all that money could have gone towards making this story into a movie or tv series or comic book

now instead what they've apparently given us is a story that we get to hear bits and pieces of but then are barred from the next chapter until we've killed twenty banthas and collected their poodoos

maybe if you like wow, yeah

consider that this might just be the most expensive game ever made and just how easily all that money could have gone towards making this story into a movie or tv series or comic book

now instead what they've apparently given us is a story that we get to hear bits and pieces of but then are barred from the next chapter until we've killed twenty banthas and collected their poodoos

I participated in a couple of the beta weekends and I felt there was very little in the way that kind of mundane questing and grinding. Plus, EA and Bioware aren't in the business of making movies and TV shows, and who knows if they'd be any good at it.

It was never trying to reinvent the wheel. It takes what has worked for other MMOs, fixes some of what didn't work, and puts some excellent, immersive storytelling on top of it.