OCR01768 - Ragnarök Online "Samurai Discotheque"

djpretzel

It's funny that of all the great tracks chosen from Hybridism, Hamatan and Samurai Discotheque were chosen. There are certainly stronger tracks IMO (which feature Anthony Lofton's very sexy sax), so, anyone who diggs this just can't go without listening to the rest of the album.

Top stuff!

My experiance with RO wasn't the greatest. I tried the free trial period. In that time, I met NO ONE who was around my level aside from a couple of friends I dragged into trying it with me. There were plenty of bots, and people had a tendency to spawn high level monsters right outside towns so that I was quickly killed more often than not. That and I failed about 4 times at getting a pet.

However, this mix is really awesome. Definately uplifted my not so great mood. Thanks!

I had a fanastic time playing Ragnarok Online in my day... I played that game since the very first beta and it's actually the only MMORPG I will ever play. My past friends and I had amazing memories in that world.

I will be honest though... this song took a while to grow on me. I never even knew there was an arranged album for this game... -_- I really need to get with the OCR times man. ::sighs::

I like the track. I'm currently downloading the album.

OMG more funk. Except this time it's... J-Funk, I guess? We should split the site and put all the funk mixes on another server to reduce the load. Not a big fan of the funk am I. Still and all, I approve of the production on this one. It is undeniably catchy, and still running through my head well after listening to it, which says a lot, because I usually try to scrub funk out of my head as quickly as possible. That's the best you'll get from a hater, unfortunately, but it is a VERY good mix, just not my cup of tea.

• 4 weeks later...

I have looped this song with out getting tired of it.

There are two parts that get my attention the most: the sexy beginning and the 1:40ish area. I'd say that the beginning is my favorite part of the whole song. From 0:00-0:17, the bells continue to go higher, stop, and then the grooves kick in. I never played this game, but it's as if you took the experience of playing the game and subliminally placed it in the mix.

The bass seemed to be a little ahead of the beat at the beginning, but it settled into a really nice groove after that, with a shimmering wall of sound. Cool how specific phrases pop out here and there. I loved the build to the funky synth solo. Nice percussion too.

I am not as big of a fan of the source, though. It's certainly been improved here, but I think a lot of the better themes in the game could have been used. :-)

• 1 month later...

I got this when it first came out months ago and I greeted it with a huge "Meh." Something didn't quite click. Maybe it was my bias against Ragnarok. I have never played it, but I have awful memories of a friend who refused to play everything I recommended him because of Ragnarok.

Regardless, I hit the mix again after it came up on random selection and was really surprised at what I had previously been numb too. The beat is quite infectious, and those disco staples: those hard strings and brass, are freaking fantastic.

'Hamadatan' is floating around my playlist too, which I was also pretty unmoved by when it was first released. So here's hoping I'm proven just as wrong with that one.

• 4 weeks later...

Love the blend of Eastern influences with 70s housey music! I actually produced a b-boy video with this track in the background and the combination was sizzling! Mr. Morse, this is your best song..ever! And after listening to the rest of the Hybridism album, I'd have to say you've inspired this Asian to start remixing again.

Peace out,

Double A

EDIT: The moog-ish lead at 2:22 is AWESOME! How did you generate that?

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01768 - Ragnarök Online "Samurai Discotheque"