What head-interfacing listening equipment do you use?

atomicthumbs

Headphones, earphones, earbuds, neurophones, bone-conduction headsets, etc.

I use Telex Model 610-44 educational headphones.

2463839768_418e2f3f01.jpg

They have excellent sound, stay on my head well, and are almost impossible to damage.

The picture doesn't show it, but after I took it I superglued an Apple Microphone (circa 1991) to the side. Now it's an excellent-sounding, perfectly working headset. Also, all the parts (except for the glue) were free. :)

What do you use?

I use some Microsoft USB headphone set with a build in microphone, I got them for free off the internet and they sound quite nice. Except that they are USB, so I can only use them with a computer. But overall I like them and the microphone makes them good for gaming.

Although I usually use speakers because then I can feel the music instead of just hearing it

This is what I tell all of my friends that swear by headphones.

I use full-body interface listening equipment.

I prefer speakers myself since simply wearing headphones for more than a single hour in a row makes my ears hurt.

I just haven't bothered to invest in a very high quality set (of speakers).

I'm thinking of picking up a set of Logitech X-530's sometime here soon, though.

I prefer speakers myself since simply wearing headphones for more than a single hour in a row makes my ears hurt.

I just haven't bothered to invest in a very high quality set (of speakers).

I'm thinking of picking up a set of Logitech X-530's sometime here soon, though.

I get the same problem with headphones most of the time. Even lightweight, cheap headphones will cause the top of my skull to ache where the plastic band is. I use earbuds when I'm traveling.

And, I always tell people that investing in expensive speakers is a waste of money. If you've got space, get a bunch of cheap Pioneers, Aiwas, Sonys, Realistics, etc. that people get rid of on their curbs, and wire 'em all in. It sounds brilliant.

Bought a pair of AKG K240 headphones from the OCR store, and they're excellent. Unfortunately, there seems to be something wrong with the left speaker channel lately -- I've been getting static instead of sound occasionally.

Only occasionally? Take them apart and check the wire connections. Unless it's full-on white noise static, then I'm not exactly sure what to tell you :\

^It does sound like a loose connection -- I'll fiddle with that this weekend.

You know, that happens to me when my clothes get staticy from the floor or whatever. Causes the left ear to get fuzzy (probably bad on the headphones, I know). Anyway, unplugging and plugging back in fixes it immediately.

On topic: I use Sony MDR-V600's for mixing/listening. Love 'em, though the bass response seems a bit hot.

Headphones, earphones, earbuds, neurophones, bone-conduction headsets, etc.

I use Telex Model 610-44 educational headphones.

2463839768_418e2f3f01.jpg

They have excellent sound, stay on my head well, and are almost impossible to damage.

The picture doesn't show it, but after I took it I superglued an Apple Microphone (circa 1991) to the side. Now it's an excellent-sounding, perfectly working headset. Also, all the parts (except for the glue) were free. :)

What do you use?

AWESOME.

I've got Shure E2c's currently, but I'm not too big a fan of the closed sound, and they hurt my ears, so I'm looking to get some good entry-level cans. No idea where to start though. Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Sony, Koss...too many choices!

BTW, atomicthumbs, just how "excellent-sounding" are these headphones? Like better than your average pair of $10 Sony or Koss headphones? I'm seeing them for like $10, so if they're as good as you say, I might pick up a pair.

Really excellent. They have good response (midrange, bass, and treble), are nearly impossible to overdrive, and block a large amount of external sound due to the pads that surround the ears. :)

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s for mixing when i'm not using monitors and also have a pair of Sennheiser 280 pro's for a second opinion and casual listening. Since the 600s are open, everyone can hear me, but the 280s are perfect for on the plane and such since they completely cover my ear and absolutely no sound gets in.