OCR00335 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Mysterious Groove"

Saunders

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 'Mysterious Groove'

I believe this mix is what would be classified as funky. Did you know that funky actually means bad smell? Well this mix is anything but a bad smell really. Although I'm not overly fond of it, it is well done and sounds pretty good. Well used samples. The "Wacka-chicka" sound (as us hip music types like to call it) gives it that funky feeling. Check it out, it's pretty cool. And if you don't like it, that's what the Recycle Bin is for. ;)

• 1 month later...

:D This is one of my favorites from Scott Peeples! I love it, I love it, I love it! :D I had a whole bunch of friends listening to it the other day and they were surprised that this was even a Zelda remix. They thought it was a mainstream hit! I'd say it's very, very creative even though it could use a few more instrument parts. Very good 16th-beat tambourinish hi-hats! The e-piano chords, and the flute melody are awesome (gives an old school rapper "Bust a Move" kind of groove). But without the "wicka" guitar thang, this remix wouldn't have made it. The feel kind of reminds me of that really funky tune (not sure what it's called.) It goes like this:

"Who's that man?

Shaft!!!!"

Anyway, this mix is a definite download and doesn't waste any hard drive space!

Wa-wa-wakka-chicka! Wa-wa-wakka-chicka!

Oooh yeah, feel 'da groove. I dig this track, it's got me bouncing in my chair. I love that guitar coming in after two minutes (ba-da-doo-dum-ba-da-da-doon! Look, I'm imitating the track after just one listen), it really just hits a feel-good bit in my ear. Grooving.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Some of the dissonant tone placement choices in the first part of the track sound a bit ear-bending, but the second part of the track has a lot of soul. I also think the description of the track is a bit misleading because I thought I would hear some real slap bass, but the bass is well sequenced, as is the whole song. The flute solo near the end is pretty cool, and well programmed. Pretty cool, love the wah guitar too.

• 3 months later...

is it just me or does DJP make some rediculous pun for every mix Scott Peeples sends in?

There was some cool slap bass but it was hidden in the background. Some very awesome chill/funk music here. Its different from most of Scott's mixes which tend to be more energetic. the Wa-wa-wakka-chicka! Wa-wa-wakka-chicka! is used so well. I love it.

• 2 years later...

Funky for sure, but a little repetitive, at least until the slap bass comes in. I'd have preferred a little better sample here, but it's a cool line, so the somewhat annyoing sample is forgivable. Some of the melody lines such as the flute seemed a bit forgettable, and I'm not sure if changing the instrument would help, or if it just needed to be rewritten.

Not my favorite zelda mix, but the bass line saves it from being mundane.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

DJP's comment about Link getting sugar from Zelda made me facepalm.

Anyways...Not familiar with the source, so going by what I hear I'm liking the funky groove. The droms are very classic for the style, and while by todays standards are subpar, I can see these sounding pretty good for when they came out. The slap bass solo really stands out, although I would have liked it to come out more, it's a little too far back in the soundscape to really shine.

Overall the dynamics remain mostly subdued throughout. More variation would have added some life to this and kept it going strong. Aside from those points, a groovy little piece.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just by listening at this remix... I would fit this into one of the Mother games, if anyone gets what I'm sayin'.

Anyhoo, not that great. None of the remixes of this track really had what I looked for. But that's just my taste

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00335 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Mysterious Groove"