The Tristram Incident 1996 (Diablo Remix)

vr_jadison

Good day OCR Community.

INTRODUCTION

Today it is another beautiful day for me to present you a new cool remix! Based upon an older Diablo Remix of mine, it is the product of what came into my mind when I played through Diablo (What happens several times a year ^^) and thought about my older remix...

It is this kind of song that constitutes it's title as a "remix" mostly from certain connections to the source stuff; but at the same time moving inside a completely newly invented sound environment. (Besides: One of the best examples for this kind of procedure can be heard in the very popular vampire disco-song in the film "Blade", where the "Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix" of "Confusion" really IS a remix of "New Order"'s song, but has moved away to another sphere of music's experience and execution.)

Note: Please be sure to have a sound system with adequate bass, because without the bass line, those of you who may at least like this song a bit, may not understand and like it, when it comes into their ears in soft higher tones. (And so on...)

INFORMATION

Title: The Tristram Incident 1996 (Diablo Remix)

Album: The Unrecognized Powers

Track: #6

Length: 2:46

Genre: House (Or something like that...)

Like mentioned above, this song is a variant of my older remix "The Spirit Of Arkaine (Diablo Remix)".

DOWNLOAD

192 kbps @ FileFront: http://hosted.filefront.com/VrJadison

96 kbps @ Vultracide: http://freenet-homepage.de/vultracide/audio/The_Unrecognized_Powers.html

Have fun with it and always enjoy!

Yours faithfully,

Paul R. Ograbisz.

In Service Of Audio Art.

Those harp-ish motions, idunno what else to call hem, are pretty annoying. A minute in, and I'm already considering to stop listening. It might seem easy to write stuff involving repeating elements, but hearing what works and what doesn't after you've spent a little too long working on it can be hard. In other words, that repeated thing is wrecking the remix.

I'd say the same about the voice clips, actually. They get a bit cheesy. There's stuff in this that makes me wonder why you think it's release-worthy, mostly mixing-related things, but clashes at 1:35, the annoying harp-ish motion, your choice of voice clips (as contrasted by a sort'a happy sound you've got going), stuff like that.

As for the bass, I really do like it. Not bad, but could be better.

Hmm... I like the intro. The delay on that harp-ish synth is cool although it sounds unrealistic. Kinda atmospheric and the voice samples are funny :D

Problems really start at 0.16 - Like rozo said, the harp-ish synth is too repetitive. Not to mention it plays the same chord over and over again... They also seem to clash.

The bass is great - I love it, but the harp - argh.

Not sure I like the synth stabs at 1.04 onwards, again, clashing, but I think that may be a style trait. Not sure with house :D

1.30 - I'm really starting to think this is minimalist.

Breakdown - I love that, the best part of the track. Voice samples are back.

As a listener, it seems to me that its to boring and repetitive to listen to for long. I would remove the harp in the main section (although the harp works much better in the intro and breakdown) and concentrate on more variation in the main section and bring in the breakdown much sooner, as that is awesome.

SUPPRESSING FIRE

1. The "harps"

I was really afraid of what you've mentioned. But I am wondering a bit, because when I hear this song, I mainly concentrate on the beats and the super cool Dune2-like bass. =D So the "harps" (cool name! ^^) do not come too much into the foreground in my ears... (hmm)

The "harps" are acutally guitars. These are taken directly from the source song and are arranged to a sample in mutual performance. So there is no synth involved used to make these sounds.

2. Repetition

My songs are always made in a minimal concept. And unfortunately the repetition is a vital part of this. (I'd really understand it, if you don't like this style.)

DIRECT FIRE

@Rozovian

1. The voices

Why are the voice samples cheesy? If you mean the quality, you are certainly right (!), because the original files are low quality and have disturbing "artifacts" in them. (Especially the warrior voice "scratches" the boxes.) But please allow me to defend their usage: They all belong to the final quest "Lazaus' Staff" before descending directly to Diablo.

Thank you two for the first bunch of imressions and criticism!

Here's a suggestion for what you could do about repeated elements - automate their filters. Automate something, so it's not the same thing throughout. The "harps" get especially annoying, so a heavy filter that you use to fade them out with could improve the track overall. You'd be able to bring them in and out smoothly. Since they're samnples, not synths, you can't change waveform (giving them a more varied sound), but filter, drive, and other things could be automated.

I don't have a problem with repetition in general, but the harps are just too annoying. They're there for most of the track, which makes it a bit tough to listen to.

As for the voice clips, that kind of acting needs the right soundscape to not sound cheesy. Your track is a bit too happy for them to quite fit in. Without the right atmosphere (whether visual or aural) they're... well, cheesy. I bet they work well in the game, with both those things covered, but here... not so good, imo. Your reasons to use them seem good, but they don't work well with the soundscape of the track. You should know, tho, that I'm biased against voice clips.

SUPPRESSING FIRE

1. The "harps"

I was really afraid of what you've mentioned. But I am wondering a bit, because when I hear this song, I mainly concentrate on the beats and the super cool Dune2-like bass. =D So the "harps" (cool name! ^^) do not come too much into the foreground in my ears... (hmm)

The "harps" are acutally guitars. These are taken directly from the source song and are arranged to a sample in mutual performance. So there is no synth involved used to make these sounds.

Well the harp is a main instrument in my ears, everyone hears things differently. I stand by what I said before though about them in the main section.
My songs are always made in a minimal concept. And unfortunately the repetition is a vital part of this. (I'd really understand it, if you don't like this style.)

If that is your intention, its not my place to criticize I guess. But I will say that repetition will not get you a posted remix, should you submit this.

DIRECT FIRE

@Rozovian

1. The voices

Why are the voice samples cheesy? If you mean the quality, you are certainly right (!), because the original files are low quality and have disturbing "artifacts" in them. (Especially the warrior voice "scratches" the boxes.) But please allow me to defend their usage: They all belong to the final quest "Lazaus' Staff" before descending directly to Diablo.

I agree with rozo with the cheesy samples comment, they are cheesy but not for quality reasons, its more to do with the samples themselves, but I personally like them. I guess its a matter of opinion.

This is, no doubt, a very interesting mix. Clever use of samples to do something fun and original, but I have a hard time identifying with the melody. Well theme... melody. It's hard to identify if there is one.

Anyway, I applaud your experimentative style and I definitely encourage further bouts, but this only serves as a bit of nostalgia for me, hearing the original samples.

I believe that too much direct sampling from games isn't submittable. Especially if you're using the original guitars from the game. When you make a repetitive sound...always check to make sure that it's not clashing with the chords and lead. Don't just let it "fall in the background" and ignore it. This will probably need a major make-over to sound submittable.

• 5 months later...