Colleges for composition?

snazzypadgett

I've finally decided to major in composition in college...the schools I'm looking are:

-Indiana (Jacobs)

-North Texas

-Belmont (they have a commercial comp program!), this is near home in TN for me

-MTSU, also near home, pretty inexpensive school

-University of Tennessee, inexpensive option, could probably get a full ride here on merit, but IDK much about their music department. I've heard it's great, but...everyone says that about everywhere >.<

I really like Belmont's commercial composition program, it includes all kinds of styles and Belmont's in Nashville where there's lots of business opportunity. But I hear about big name schools like North Texas and Jacobs and wonder if they have more to offer. What do you guys think? Any other options you can throw out here?

I can't offer specific evaluations of any those schools, but in my opinion, the things you should be considering most are

1) Do you like the person (or people) who would be teaching you composition? Find out who teaches at the schools and try to find recordings of their music. While any teacher will certainly work with you to help you develop your own style, it will help if s/he has a style that you're interested in imitating. If you have the opportunity to visit any of the schools, definitely try to arrange a meeting with the composition faculty.

2) What are the opportunities like for getting your work performed at the school? This can be difficult to judge by just looking at websites, etc. Talking to faculty can be helpful, but they'll portray things in the best light possible -- ideally, you would want to talk to a current student about it.

3) Finances are important and should be factored into the decision.

While I can't say anything in particular about the composition courses at those schools, I know people who have attended and/or taught at MTSU and their percussion program is top notch.

Yeah - I can back this up Will.

Lalo Davila runs a great program. He's a super nice guy too.

Linton on the other hand for composition is a bit more eccentric and not a lot of people can handle him. He's brilliant on the other hand.

The resources at MTSU in the music building are kinda lame in terms of technology but when you figure how great the recording program is and that you can take some classes through their music industry program then you will get some nice technology/production supplemented with the comp.

The RIM program is very competitve and besides the classes they offer for the minor (or major) they don't really allow for outside students to take other classes of interest unless you get permission to - the classes are pretty full as is.