OCR Fit Club

Geoffrey Taucer

For me, I'm trying to get bigger, but its not working out so great...

im currently 130lbs, but i think my workout plan isnt the right one for me... i try to do 3 sets of weights, and then move on, but i tihnk im changing it to two sets of soemthing a lot heavier, so i'll get my body used to the heavier weights

For me, I'm trying to get bigger, but its not working out so great...

im currently 130lbs, but i think my workout plan isnt the right one for me... i try to do 3 sets of weights, and then move on, but i tihnk im changing it to two sets of soemthing a lot heavier, so i'll get my body used to the heavier weights

do 6 sets of at least 8 reps, try to find a weight for each excercise that doesnt tire you out too much but has you reaching muscle failure at the end of the last rep... and take your time resting. the sets wont do you good if youre too tired to do them. two sets is kind of short for a workout, and good muscle endurance helps you a lot when working out in the future.

i think im changing it to two sets of something a lot heavier, so i'll get my body used to the heavier weights

Be careful doing that. Very often people hurt themselves weight training because the weights they're using are beyond their current abilities. When you lift a weight that's too heavy, you unconsciously use other muscles to compensate. If you're lifting something too heavy with your arms, you compensate first with the muscles of your shoulder, and then if it's still too much, with your upper back muscles. It pulls your spine out of alignment and puts you at risk for a slipped disc. I speak from personal experience there, you do NOT want a slipped disc.

People want big muscles now, because we've been told "If you build it, they will come." :wink: That might be true, but you could tear muscle too. Your ideal weight on any arm building exercise should allow you to do 12 reps, and you should have a decently hard time completing that last rep. Starting out, 2 sets is just fine. Over the course of a few days, your muscles will adapt to it and you'll be able to do more. Add sets as you feel able. Increase your weight when you can do 6 sets without feeling tired out.

Be careful doing that. Very often people hurt themselves weight training because the weights they're using are beyond their current abilities. When you lift a weight that's too heavy, you unconsciously use other muscles to compensate. If you're lifting something too heavy with your arms, you compensate first with the muscles of your shoulder, and then if it's still too much, with your upper back muscles. It pulls your spine out of alignment and puts you at risk for a slipped disc. I speak from personal experience there, you do NOT want a slipped disc.

People want big muscles now, because we've been told "If you build it, they will come." :wink: That might be true, but you could tear muscle too. Your ideal weight on any arm building exercise should allow you to do 12 reps, and you should have a decently hard time completing that last rep. Starting out, 2 sets is just fine. Over the course of a few days, your muscles will adapt to it and you'll be able to do more. Add sets as you feel able. Increase your weight when you can do 6 sets without feeling tired out.

i always thought 3 reps was the ideal? i guess im wrong, im working with around 20lbs for both arms and i can do 3 sets of 12 reps pretty easily, so i might move up to 22.5 and then start working for 6 sets like you guys say and see how that goes

I think I may join in on this business, as I am trying to get a bit more healthy and I do have a goal in mind. My best friend's wedding is upcoming in March and I'd like to look pretty good in a suit for that. For me, that means losing some weight, particularly around my stomach.

Current weight: 224

Ideal weight: ???

Height: 5'11"

So here's my problem, though. I was born with a clubbed foot, and the surgery to correct it left my leg an inch shorter and my foot much smaller than the other one. Because of this, even with corrective shoe stuff, running is extraordinarily difficult, especially at my current weight. It messes up my lower back pretty big time. I hurt it pretty bad a few months back and it's never quite gotten back to 100% because of shoe troubles. Anyway, running is out; are elliptical machines or exercise bikes equivalent exercise? I know I need to work on cardio, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it. Currently I've been doing 8-minute exercise bike rides after a moderately heavy weight-machine workout twice a week. I'm just getting back into this whole working out thing, so I'm not exactly in tip top shape yet. I'm looking to bump up to 3 times a week in the weight room and bumping up my time on the bike to about 11 minutes starting this next week, then up from there at some point.

One question I have that maybe one of you can answer, is how to work out and lift weights but not like, get huge? A couple years ago I did just resistance band workout consistently for like 3 months and all of a sudden a lot of my shirts don't really fit any more and I look even funnier than I normally do. If I'm building a good bit of muscle I'd like it to be lean muscle rather than huge burly muscle; do I have any control over that? Or am I stuck with what I've got?

are elliptical machines or exercise bikes equivalent exercise?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

Don't listen to people who say it's an easy way out. Cardio is cardio. If you're working your lungs and pumping blood and easing up your legs, then that is cardio too.

Ellipticals are great since they can still exercise your legs with almost none of the impact of normal running. Bikes are the same story more or less.

i always thought 3 reps was the ideal? i guess im wrong, im working with around 20lbs for both arms and i can do 3 sets of 12 reps pretty easily, so i might move up to 22.5 and then start working for 6 sets like you guys say and see how that goes

I take that back. It would seem my information was outdated. Here's an article from Mayo Clinic on July 26th, 2008, indicating that we may all be able to save a LOT of time in the gym from here on out:linkage. Essentially, studies have found that ONE set of 12 reps does basically the same thing as multiple sets, there's little benefit to repeating. Fine with me!

Anyway, running is out; are elliptical machines or exercise bikes equivalent exercise? I know I need to work on cardio, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Absolutely, Injin's right. Cardio is Cardio, however you do it, and you need to find what works for you. Don't abuse your pelvis and back if you don't have too. In fact, in the long run, I'd say an elliptical machine or a bike is much healthier than running because running puts so much impact strain on your joints over time. I knew a marathon runner that was famous because he trained entirely inside, he never ran on asphalt for that very reason. It tears UP your joints and bones.

One question I have that maybe one of you can answer, is how to work out and lift weights but not like, get huge? A couple years ago I did just resistance band workout consistently for like 3 months and all of a sudden a lot of my shirts don't really fit any more and I look even funnier than I normally do. If I'm building a good bit of muscle I'd like it to be lean muscle rather than huge burly muscle; do I have any control over that? Or am I stuck with what I've got?

Man, I wish I could build muscle that quick. But if you don't want to walk around with a sack of rocks on each arm, just exercise until you hit a point where you're satisfied with your muscle tone, than reduce your number of workouts so you're just maintaining that tone. For example, if you work out arms monday wednesday friday, cut out wednesday after you hit your goal. It's all a balancing act to maintain the level you want.

That's mostly genetic; some people naturally have a lot of muscle mass, some people are naturally leaner. Diet will have some effect on it, but for the most part you're stuck with what you've got.

@Dervish; I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the tone versus build concept of weight training. Essentially, lower weight and a higher number of reps increases the tone and endurance of a muscle group, whereas high weight and fewer reps builds muscle mass and increases the raw power of a muscle group. If you want to shape up without buffing up, try reducing your resistance and increasing your reps. This may be a bit tedious as you really should be doing a lot of reps per workout, but it works wonders.

That actually segueways a little bit into my own workout goals. I'm a red belt now in my martial art (Tang Soo Do,) and really need to shape up. I'm reasonably strong, but my endurance and flexibility are not where they need to be. Also, I can't jump very high, which kind of sucks for my jumping and jump spinning kicks, which are important in my art.

First off some numbers;

Height:5'8"

Current Weight:187 lbs (silly girlfriend and her delicious cooking)

Goal Weight:less than or equal to 175 lbs

Years Working Out Seriously:10

Years In Tang Soo Do:3 1/2

I have various other goals, but the weight is the first and most immediate one. I am currently going to the dojang two to three times a week, and joined the Y yesterday (half price for me and my lady through my work.) I plan to go to the Y at least twice a week.

Good call Tauce. Maybe the first post should be updated with everyone's goals and progress, etc.?

Well, I just went jogging this morning for the first time in a while, and...I'm not dead! I went up to the art museum, ran up and down the stairs once, and ran back. I'm guestimating it's about 2 miles from my house, and it took about 20 minutes. I'll work out the exact mileage later, and try to get "harder" data.

Earlier this week I tried stopping by at the athletic center to hop on a treadmill/elliptical/something, but this was at around 5:00 pm and it was really crowded. I dunno if I'm gonna keep trying to do that, or what. The other option is, if I really want to do this on a regular basis, to get up about 20 minutes earlier on some days before work and go jogging then.

Now, to go shower and eat. I'll check in again later.

I take that back. It would seem my information was outdated. Here's an article from Mayo Clinic on July 26th, 2008, indicating that we may all be able to save a LOT of time in the gym from here on out:linkage. Essentially, studies have found that ONE set of 12 reps does basically the same thing as multiple sets, there's little benefit to repeating. Fine with me!

holy crap, i honestly cant believe that to be true lol

This sounds completely false.

I think it's to do with the carbohydrates in the wheat-wraps, which like they keep saying, isn't healthy at all. I'm not surprised if carbs totally trump the calories that comes from chicken by comparison. And beef in Fajitas + all the sauce + the cheese probably does it. Also, if you go straight by the numbers, a one-person serving of Fajitas is easily 1000 calories each. And though 20 chicken nuggets is a lot of calories still, it somehow falls shorter than that. Cheese is a total killer in diets because they have sodium, have saturated fat and have way too many calories AND it has next to no nutritional value.

As for 'healthier' aspect, there's less of the cheese and sodium in chicken nuggets by strict comparison. It's also easier to ration chicken nuggets. 5 nuggets, 10 nuggets, little sauce, lots of sauce, etc. With Fajitas, you'd expect to eat the whole thing in a single sitting since it's all on a plate or wrap.

The actual numbers were:

Fajitas- 1360 calories

20 Chicken nuggets with sauce - 1120 calories

But yeah, if I wanted real healthy stuff, I'd skip it all and just grill a lean chicken and have it with salad.

Cheese is a total killer in diets because they have sodium, have saturated fat and have way too many calories AND it has next to no nutritional value.

I have to argue the point of saturated fat being a killer in diets here. I won't argue the others, but saturated fat is the one I have trouble seeing as a completely bad thing. The sheer irony of everyone thinking it's bad and a leading factor in heart disease and everything is that it's never been proven to my knowledge. Men's Health did a good article on it a few months back actually which I will link to: http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=health&category=heart.disease&conitem=a03ddd2eaab85110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

One of the more interesting things it mentions is at the bottom of page 2 and the top of page 3, and that's what actually happens with about 95% of the saturated fat we consume once it's in the body. Turns out it's not really as bad as many people think, especially when it comes to causing heart disease. And when it comes to losing weight, people who try cutting fat won't typically lose as much as people who cut carbs. Now I'm not saying that people should cut carbs too much (your body needs them for fuel, particularly when exercising), but since most people eat too many in the run of a day, cutting back isn't a bad idea. I'm also not saying people should eat more fat than is recommended, since most people in North America also eat a lot of that. What I'm saying is that they should probably be more concerned about the other nutritional values of what they eat, as well as the caloric intake, as opposed to just the saturated fat. If you're looking to lose weight in particular, steer clear of sugar, and get your carbs under control.

Saying cheese has no nutritional value at all isn't quite fair though. It's a great source of protein and calcium. It may not be very high in other nutrients, but eating it isn't necessarily bad for you. Like anything else, keep it to a reasonable portion. Most people should be fully capable of eating enough calories in a day, even on a reduced calorie diet, that a little cheese on a sandwich isn't going to kill their diet for the day.

Yeah, but the thing with cheese is that for only meager portions of it, you're getting a TON of sodium, fat and other things you don't need. Just about everything else, even chocolate, has more redeeming values per ounce than cheese as I see it. Even the types you sprinkle onto something, they usually add up to 200 calories even if it's just to cover a salad. Simply not worth it. And there really is no wonder each slice of pizza tends to go over 250 calories. Mostly thanks to the gratuitous cheese on top.

I do agree with the calcium and other nutrients. It's not totally off the charts in regard to nutrition, but I just don't think it's worth it. It may taste good and is a natural ingredient for pizzas, tacos and such, but there really is no mystery why those foods packs on the calories. Like with the Fajitas, the type you'd normally eat at a restaurant in a single dish, it being almost 2000 calories is just scary.

I'm not really in favor of food abstinence though. To me, the realistic way is to portion them more carefully, especially something like cheeses, carbs, chocolates and other risky foods because in no time, you're going over 200 calories in a few handfuls of food.

Okay, so holy shit.

I made a serious breakthrough today, like none I've ever had before.

Today I completely accepted the fact that I have to change my life or I'm just going to waste away to nothing and never do a damn thing with my life.

Today I worked past the pain that I get in my left shin when I run. I worked past it to the point that it didn't hurt anymore.

Today, I walked/ran for two hours today, wandering the neighborhood and jogging when I could.. It wouldn't be a whole lot for others, but it was a helluva lot for me. I haven't had a workout like this for a few years, and I feel incredible.

I am joining the air force in just under six months. Quote me on this.

Okay, so holy shit.

I made a serious breakthrough today, like none I've ever had before.

Today I completely accepted the fact that I have to change my life or I'm just going to waste away to nothing and never do a damn thing with my life.

Today I worked past the pain that I get in my left shin when I run. I worked past it to the point that it didn't hurt anymore.

Today, I walked/ran for two hours today, wandering the neighborhood and jogging when I could.. It wouldn't be a whole lot for others, but it was a helluva lot for me. I haven't had a workout like this for a few years, and I feel incredible.

I am joining the air force in just under six months. Quote me on this.

Wow. Congratulations!

I did a light rings workout today. I'm still going easy on the crosses, but I can at least hit the planches, inverted crosses, and (sort of) malteses again.