OCR Fit Club

Geoffrey Taucer

Okay, so holy shit.

I made a serious breakthrough today, like none I've ever had before.

Today I completely accepted the fact that I have to change my life or I'm just going to waste away to nothing and never do a damn thing with my life.

Today I worked past the pain that I get in my left shin when I run. I worked past it to the point that it didn't hurt anymore.

Today, I walked/ran for two hours today, wandering the neighborhood and jogging when I could.. It wouldn't be a whole lot for others, but it was a helluva lot for me. I haven't had a workout like this for a few years, and I feel incredible.

I am joining the air force in just under six months. Quote me on this.

Be sure to stretch out after the run - very important. <- bold + underlined for emphasis

Oh, & :nicework:!

I seem to have run into a small problem.

Weight seems to keep going down at a nice rate, yet my "gut" is still there. I have noticed a change in my arms and chest, but my ab area is still a mini keg with no change.

Anyone know why this is and/or a solution to fix that?

In all honesty, there probably has been a change, it's just spread over a large enough area that you don't notice it as readily. Hell, I gained almost 20lbs. in the last year before I realized something was up, and the only reason I did was because my clothes didn't fit as well as they used to. How much have you lost exactly?

In all honesty, there probably has been a change, it's just spread over a large enough area that you don't notice it as readily. Hell, I gained almost 20lbs. in the last year before I realized something was up, and the only reason I did was because my clothes didn't fit as well as they used to. How much have you lost exactly?

I went to the gym around 8 am today and i weighed at 149 *this is after breakfast*

I was 157 last week

Is it too small of a change for me to notice anything?

Weight seems to keep going down at a nice rate, yet my "gut" is still there. I have noticed a change in my arms and chest, but my ab area is still a mini keg with no change.

Genetic. Nothing you can do about it.

The idea that you can burn fat from specific parts of your body is a myth. Burning calories in general burns fat in general, but where your body stores whatever's left is genetic.

As a personal trainer, I suppose I should join the thread. What's up guys?

I personally am making nice steady slow progress in terms of fitness using low weight high reps at a steady pace.

I checked out my single-set push-up max recently. With good form and at a steady pace I hit 80 before I got tired and I was kind of sore that day too. Easily hitting 100 sit-ups here and there on sit-ups and other ab related exercises. Basically making a lot of improvements since the summer fitness thread we had going on awhile ago. Still on the rings ever since Taucer recommended rings and it's some fun stuff. I wish I had more balance and endurance on these things. Is it normal to get super tired on these things? I feel it taxes out my muscles after like 5 sets of 10 (sometimes more) on ring dips and on push-ups among other exercises. I want to do higher reps but progress is slow.

Anyways, nice to see everyone making a bit of effort to better themselves. Remember to work within your limits, but always give 100% effort. You get what you put in.

I suppose I can contribute to the thread if anyone has any questions about training... I wouldn't know much about the whole gymnastics thing though so I suppose Taucer can handle the ring questions if there are any. :) Best of luck in your goals.

One question I have that maybe one of you can answer, is how to work out and lift weights but not like, get huge?

it's all in the DIET. diet is as important (if not more important) than training/exercise. you won't get bigger if you don't actually gain weight.. although you will "look bigger" and have better defined muscles

that's most likely a postural problem. if you sit all day (like in front of a computer like most people), then your posture will deteriorate. your posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, etc.) will get weaker, your hip flexors will tighten, and your core will also get weaker.

when that happens, your entire spine will slump, leading to forward angled hips and rounded shoulders. and also your weak core will allow your gut to spill out rather than holding it in tight

anyways... my particular goal is to strengthen my core. i've done a fair bit of research into this.. that's where i came to the realization above. after spending too much time sitting and slouching over the years, my core is pathetically weak. i can't do wushu (mostly just the kicks which require a lot of core) like i used to.. and i also probably can barely run a mile (which is NOT an cardio/endurance thing.. it's muscular conditioning since i can cycle decently)

and a great resource for more hardcore people who are into the exercise physiology side of things, a great website with tons of articles is T-nation

Is it normal to get super tired on these things? I feel it taxes out my muscles after like 5 sets of 10 (sometimes more) on ring dips and on push-ups among other exercises. I want to do higher reps but progress is slow.

Yeah, that's normal.

Be very careful not to overdo it on straight arm strength on rings (ie cross work). I'm currently nursing a rotator cuff injury that likely resulted from a rings workout that was a bit too heavy on the cross work.

Yeah, that's normal.

Be very careful not to overdo it on straight arm strength on rings (ie cross work). I'm currently nursing a rotator cuff injury that likely resulted from a rings workout that was a bit too heavy on the cross work.

Sweet. Yea I feel kind of lame not really doing as much as I want but I can take pride in doing stuff on rings that most of the meatheads at the gym can't even do. Also have you gotten that book from gymnasticbodies yet? I heard it was suppose to be coming out around this time... I just haven't heard of anyone getting it yet.

Sweet. Yea I feel kind of lame not really doing as much as I want but I can take pride in doing stuff on rings that most of the meatheads at the gym can't even do. Also have you gotten that book from gymnasticbodies yet? I heard it was suppose to be coming out around this time... I just haven't heard of anyone getting it yet.

DOn't have it yet

i also got rings from coach sommer.. but i didn't buy the book. i dunno.. it doesn't seem necessary.. i have more than enough things to keep me busy on rings. and there's plenty of stuff on youtube already

That REALLY worries me. Any way to fix that?

well heres some articles about correcting posture:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/heal_that_hunchback

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_part_i

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_part_ii

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_iii

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_part_iv

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/neanderthal_no_more_part_v

there's a lot more articles on t-nation but i don't remember what they're called. but if you look up author Eric Cressey, he has a lot of posture-oriented articles

but really, the best way is to not spend so much time sitting. humans aren't made to sit all day.. it's best to be constantly changing your posture, from sitting to standing to lying etc. take breaks when sitting for long periods of time, and work on some of the exercises outlined in the articles above. also, it takes a looong time and consistent effort to heal your posture. the damage was done from years and years of sitting all day.. it's gonna take a similar effort to reverse that effect

Hokay! So! I am currently at 271.2 pounds. That's actually four pounds less than I was a couple weeks ago. I abstained from running yesterday because my run the day before that was serious overkill, especially on my first day of running, and my whole body was sore.

I took my second run today, which wasn't nearly as impressive and lasted about 20 minutes, with about 5 minutes of running in total. I'm a little disappointed, but I'm pretty sure I tired out more quickly because I wore different shoes.

Anyway, I've started with shorter running paths, much closer to home. I've started on my way, I'm so excited! I need to lose about 60 pounds before I join the air force, and I'll be running seven times a week if I can.

If you're just starting with your runs, I would actually advise against running every day right now. Every other day would be great, along with of course staying active inbetween, but running every day and trying to max out the distance will drain you very quickly. Pacing is very important in this aspect.

OK, so this will probably sound lame, but it really is quite an accomplishment for me, because I didn't think I could do this. I did the ten minute free run in Wii Fit, and I did not die. It said I made it 1.889 miles, which, barring all the little jiggles it called a step, I am prepared to call 1.25 real honest to God miles of jogging in place.

It don't sound like a lot, but you have to understand I have 3 slipped discs in my back, and until my core is BUILT, it is not an option for me to run outside. In place or treadmill is all I can do, and I've never been able to make it more than a quarter mile actually jogging before when I've tried. 10 days short jogging with Wii Fit and I busted that off.

I'm not concerned about the distance really either, I'm concerned about building cardiopulmonary stamina, because if I can get that, I can exercise till the cows come home. When I finished I was at 126 bpm and 24 respirations per minute, compared to over 160 and gasping for air when I first started jogging. Hell yes.

An accomplishment is an accomplishment no matter what anyone else thinks.

No reason for you to think less of yourself because it doesn't measure up to the physical gods of ocr. As long as you feel pride in what you did, that is fucking awesome :)

sidenote: after working out today i ate 3 5 dollar footlongs from subway :x

Thanks. I'm just mad happy with the fact that I've finally found a way to increase my CP stamina without raping my joints and ending up in the doctor's office again - it's been a problem for years. I'll walk until my lower body is in insane shape, then try to transition to even light jogging on asphalt, and I end up with some kind of bursitis or slippage somewhere. Unfortunately that's mostly genetic.

I also tried swimming at the Y, because it's zero joint load, and it turned out that was so intense on my virgin heart I did 5 laps in an hour and puked in the locker room. It was that bad. I needed somewhere to START.

So Wii Fit has given me an out by giving me somewhere to start increasing my CP load safely. If I can master all the running in there and get my vitals even more under control at the end of a run, then I think I'd feel safe getting in the pool and trying again.

Today I made it through a floor routine with almost all of my hardest skills. This is a first for me; usually if I throw my hardest skills at the beginning, I'm too tired to do anything big by the end.

My shoulder is still keeping me from doing rings. Honestly, it's looking like I might not be able to compete rings at all at my first meet in January.

I guess that's ok, though; it's my weakest event anyway.

If you're just starting with your runs, I would actually advise against running every day right now. Every other day would be great, along with of course staying active inbetween, but running every day and trying to max out the distance will drain you very quickly. Pacing is very important in this aspect.

This is actually a good example of something that hasn't been brought up in this thread yet. It's an important lesson for beginners and something veterans often forget in their exercising zeal.

For best results and minimal injury, one should leave a day of rest between workouts, at least for each muscle group that was hit hard. That is, if you do a light run and work on your upper body on Tuesday, you can do another light run on Wednesday but you should lay off your biceps, triceps and so on until Thursday at least. This day of rest allows your muscles to rebuild and saves you from overstraining them, which can lead to injuries.