OCR Fit Club

Geoffrey Taucer

The last workout I had was strenuous (when you don't exercise consistently): Started off jogging a mile. Then 4 sets of 20 sit-ups with a medicine ball weighing 9kg ~= 20 lbs. Following, 4 sets of 15 reps on biceps, triceps, quadriceps, calves, hamstrings and some other stuff on machines. A weird loop-sequence of 4 sets of 20 leg presses followed by "mountain climbing" (criss-crossing feet in running motion while arms support body as if doing push-ups) 20 times; 20lp, 20mc, 20lp, 20mc, 20lp, 20mc, 20lp, 20mc. Bench pressing (process forgotten), and last, jogging/powerwalking half of a mile. My legs felt like jelly and I fell in my seat in math class.

I eat too much junk, but it hasn't given me a gut because of my fast metabolism. It's still unhealthy, so I'll replace junk with fruit.

I was talking about the weight used in the resistance exercises. As for 200 lbs. at 6'3", that is, according to some updated BMI charts, is at the bottom of "Overweight". If you weighed a little less, you'd then be in the high range of "Normal Weight" range.

Edit: Unless you have a large amount of muscle on you, then you can throw out BMI chart readings as BMI charts do not take into account the percentage of lean body mass and body fat.

Hokay. So we got Wii Fit yesterday, and I spent more than four hours on the thing. I know running in place isn't the same as running, but I gave my calf muscles a better workout than I ever did running.

So I also tried the push-up exercise and holy crap. I had no idea how many muscles I haven't been using correctly. And I sure as hell didn't know how off balance I am. My balance and rythem SUCK (I doubt I'll ever get the advanced basic step down). All-in-all my favorite thing to do is the run in place exercise. No, I won't forget to do the actual running.

I used to work out when I was in college for about 2 years. I didn't feel like I got the greatest results, but I did feel healthy. I haven't been working out for about 6 months (6 months out of college) and I'm starting to feel like crap. Work has been taking it's toll. I've been eating like shit I've been getting aching muscles and creaky bones, so this week I decided to get back into my regular workout routine. I only have access to free weights though. Anyone got any good tips? I'm mostly interested in getting toned and just staying and feeling healthy.

@plastikbag: There's a lot of stuff you can do just by yourself or with free weights. Don't neglect isometrics like Taucer's example above (which I tried yesterday and was surprised by) or pliometrics like good old push-ups and sit-ups. I can give you like twenty different types of pushups, all of which will work different muscles, and there are maybe even more types of abdominal exercises. You might try making a small workout circuit wherever you store your weight, i.e., one spot reserved for pushups, the next for wall squats, the next for crunches, etc. Just a few strengthening exercises like these, done somewhat often, sounds like it will get you at least started towards your toning/health/energy goals.

@plastikbag: There's a lot of stuff you can do just by yourself or with free weights. Don't neglect isometrics like Taucer's example above (which I tried yesterday and was surprised by) or pliometrics like good old push-ups and sit-ups. I can give you like twenty different types of pushups, all of which will work different muscles, and there are maybe even more types of abdominal exercises. You might try making a small workout circuit wherever you store your weight, i.e., one spot reserved for pushups, the next for wall squats, the next for crunches, etc. Just a few strengthening exercises like these, done somewhat often, sounds like it will get you at least started towards your toning/health/energy goals.

I would definitely love some of those. I can do those on my downtime from the gym :)

-the good ole palm flat pushup

-knuckle pushups: make fists and pushup from there. This is very much like benching your own weight if you go down to the point where your upper arms are parallel to the ground.

-fingers inwards pushups: with palms flat on the ground, bend your wrists so that your fingers point towards each other. This is great for your pecs.

-fingers backwards pushups: with palms flat on the ground, twist your arm so that your fingers face backwards and are just to the side of your ribcage or so. Awesome for triceps.

-spreadeagle pushups: lay flat on your face with your arms straight out, then bring your fingertips in to where your wrists are and lift up before doing reps. Good for shoulders.

-fingertip pushups: make sure all your fingers are sharply bent at all times and rest just your fingertips on the ground before doing reps. Very hard for beginners and those without a conditioned grip but great for those with decent grips/conditioning.

-"squares" or "triangles:" place your palms flat right underneath your face with your thumbs together and your fingers either straight ahead (forming three sides of a square) or coming together to make a triangle. Both very difficult and really good for your pecs, squares are a little safer for your back.

-claps: from a regular palm flat position, do a rep and clap one or more times before hitting the ground. You're gonna have to push off hard, especially if you're trying for more than one clap per rep or the very difficult clap behind your back. This hard, fast push is good for developing quick-twitch muscles in your upper body. Obviously, be careful with these.

-one handed pushups: from palms flat move one arm in about a hand's width and remove the other. Good luck.

-no handed pushups: you really only need to do sets of one with these. :tomatoface:

-leg lift pushups: from whatever hand position you desire, as you go down, lift one leg up about a foot or so. Alternate legs with each rep. Much harder than it sounds but great for your back and leg muscles. A good way to make sure you're getting some leg warmups in there as well.

-slow pushups: exactly what it sounds like, from any hand position, do reps VERY slowly and hold your body position once tensed. Try moving your body weight to one side and holding position there. Make sure you come up as slowly as you went down for best effect. Great for endurance.

-front incline pushups: from any hand position, place your hands on a surface higher than your feet. Typically easier overall but works your lower shoulders and pecs a little better than normals.

-rear incline pushups: from any hand position, place your feet on a surface higher than your hands. Typically hardier overall but works your upper shoulders and pecs a little better than normals.

You probably know this, but with all pushups, make sure your back is straight through the whole motion and don't just dip your hips. You may not get your arms all the way parallel to the ground but that's still better than doing the exercise incorrectly.

@Arek: did you want me to list off some ab exercises as well?

After taking a week mostly off besides lugging around 50-lbs of books all over campus all week and one light workout, I'm glad to be back working out more regularly again. The week off actually was really nice, too, as it gave some muscles I didn't know needed rest some time off, which really let me hit the weight machines harder than ever this week. Overall I'm really starting to feel good, so that's nice.

When I checked in first on pg 4 I weighed 224, which was sort of disappointing as I'd gained like 6 lbs from when I first started. Well, I'm happy to report I'm back down to 218 as of Thursday! I was very pleased to get back down to where I was; maybe my metabolism is finally deciding to kick in now. Hopefully this week I'll lose another couple.

The really great part about this is that yesterday I helped some friends move into their 3rd story apartment, and despite their massive amount of stuff, I didn't really get worn out. Tired, yes, but I wasn't dead. I was the guy at the bottom lifting boxes and such upwards over my head to a guy halfway up the stairs to start an assembly-line lift up, and it wasn't really terrible at any time! Lifting couches and bookcases didn't prove to be a problem either. Good stuff! Today I bet the other guys who were working are really feeling it, but all I feel is great. :)

I've been doing some rehab exercises for my shoulder; it seems to be getting better slowly but surely.

On friday, I landed (on a mat in a pit) a new vault which has NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. Ever. In the history of the sport of gymnastics. I'm gonna keep working on it in hopes of getting it competition-ready by January.

my legs have been bothering me a lot lately, but i ran 2 miles in 15:34 today, which is like a 7:45 mile. But most importantly, my legs didn't hurt! that was nice.

You run too? Awesome!

Are you stretching enough? That could be the cause. I'd tell you all the stretches they taught us in Cross Country, but I don't know any handy links to show you.

Back when I did run on a regular basis I was, like, a 7:00 (or slightly more) mile. Now I'm probably slower than 7:45.

Need to get back on track >_<

You run too? Awesome!

Are you stretching enough? That could be the cause. I'd tell you all the stretches they taught us in Cross Country, but I don't know any handy links to show you.

Back when I did run on a regular basis I was, like, a 7:00 (or slightly more) mile. Now I'm probably slower than 7:45.

Need to get back on track >_<

Yeah, i stretch a ton. I think i was just overdoing it for a while, so i'm trying to take it easy. but it's been getting better!

Haven't had the chance to weigh myself in about a week, but I've finally started to hit my stride. Despite being out of town every work day of every week for the last few weeks, which means eating out for every meal, I'm starting to be able to make some pretty healthy choices as far as food, and my wrist is finally well enough that I've hit the gym three days this week alone doing crossfit workouts. I'm already feeling loads better than I have in months, and more importantly, since I'm back to doing crossfit stuff again for the first time in about a year, I'm not board out of my mind everytime I go to workout.