Looking to liquidate my old Pokémon cards, need suggestions...

Black Mage

I've been cleaning out some stuff from my room today, and came across my old PokéMon cards. I haven't played the game in years and don't expect to. They're just taking up valuable desk real estate. I have therefore decided I should just sell them. This is where I'm kinda stuck, though. I'm wondering what the best route would be and how to maximize my return.

I'm far too lazy to take it upon myself to setup shop on eBay, so I've been wondering what I could expect from a local gaming/card/D&D-type shop.

I assume that the first step would be to catalogue my small collection and see what, exactly, I have.

Then what? Get estimates from various shops? Look-up online pricing guides and sell them online as a single lot? Go card-by-card?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

While I liked the blender idea, I have a real suggestion. The mall I work in has an event once a month on a Saturday morning where card collectors of all sorts come to trade and sell cards (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Magic, sports cards, etc.). Perhaps you could look into either renting a table at one of these events if a mall nearby has any or trying to sell them to one of the vendors in such a situation. Honestly I'm not sure what Pokemon cards are really worth (on Ebay they're all over the map, including some idiot wanting $30,000 for three Charizard cards).

If such an event takes place near you, it might benefit you to check it out.

I am kind of curious of the same thing. I have at least 1,000 (I don't know exactly how many, but like I said, at least that many) cards from the original set through Neo, including almost 200 rare cards (several dozen of which are holographic) and various 1st edition or foreign ones. When I priced them a couple years ago the rares alone were "worth" $800, sold individually, but I never got around to it then, and it seems like an awful lot of effort to try to get rid of such old cards one by one. But to sell them as a large lot, most eBay auctions go for significantly less--even a tenth as much as they might be "worth."

I am kind of curious of the same thing. I have at least 1,000 (I don't know exactly how many, but like I said, at least that many) cards from the original set through Neo, including almost 200 rare cards (several dozen of which are holographic) and various 1st edition or foreign ones. When I priced them a couple years ago the rares alone were "worth" $800, sold individually, but I never got around to it then, and it seems like an awful lot of effort to try to get rid of such old cards one by one. But to sell them as a large lot, most eBay auctions go for significantly less--even a tenth as much as they might be "worth."

I will buy them from you! Gimme Gimme!!

It would probably be a good idea to first get an estimate from your local collectors shops. You can keep those estimates then try online auction sites or set up your own shop. Remember pictures are worth a thousand words, make your cards look good and take appealing photos.

You can try this site to get a general idea http://www.sierrascollectibles.com/pokemon-prices.htm

I have an attic full of the Burger King Pokemon toys, glancing on Ebay, they don't seem to be popular. The gold plated cards that you would display in the Poke balls were pretty darn cool.

pokemon????!!!!?!

i am a firm believer that any pokemon after the original 150 is basically total bullshit. they have been milking this franchise for far too long and they need to put it to sleep. or go back to the original 150 ONLY

who the hell is mudkip idk

I've nearly 2000 of them and I reckon I'll keep tabs on this topic, just to see if there are any decent suggestions (like XZero's), only for a more European market, as there's not a lot of demand for them over in Ireland (and there sure as hell ain't a lot of any TCG collector's here either).

Dang, prices can be all over the place...

For example, looking at my few promo cards...

$20.00 - Lv12 (Base Set) "E3" Pikachu (yellow cheek)

$20.00 - Lv30 "Promo" Mewtwo (U.S. "12")

$10.00 - Lv28 "Promo" Dark Persian (holo) (U.S. "17")

$6.00 - Lv12 "Promo" Sabrina's Abra (U.S. "19")

verses

Pikachu E3 (yellow cheeks) $10.00

Mewtwo(Telekinesis #12) $6.00

Dark Persian(August Ntndo. pwr mag) $4.00

Sabrina's Abra #19(card only) $2.25

I suppose it's best to assume the lower price.

Pojo's price guide for older cards hasn't been updated since 2005-2006 (I don't remember the exact year, it might even be earlier than that). Pretty much every price in there is significantly lower by now unless you are selling to a desperate collector, because most of the older cards aren't nearly as useful for actual play any more (either outdated in terms of power/effectiveness, or replaced by something just as good and easier to find).

So yeah, trust that lower price.