Red Alert 3 is out

lazygecko

My brother and I pre-ordered it as well. Picking it up today after work (which is where I am right now. haha). I've been looking forward to this game for the longest time. I haven't wanted a game so bad for a long time. Once I get it set up I'll post my screenname.

By the way when you say play online do you mean go co-op for the campaign? or multiplayer skirmish matches? Or both?

HELL MARCH 3!!! WOOT!

Co-op, skirmish, anything. I've played some of the Soviet campaign and a few AI skirmishes so far. There are some things in the game that are markedly different and kinda frustrating when you're not used to them, like how the allies level up their tech tree. In the FMVs the new Soviet premier is kinda boring compared to Nicholas Worth as Romanov in RA2, but is made up for by the new US president. The amount of cleavage among the females is just embarrasing.

Biggest gripe though is the music, Frank made a few good tunes here and there like Hell March 3 but the ingame music is the same old, uninspired filler BGM.

Co-op, skirmish, anything. I've played some of the Soviet campaign and a few AI skirmishes so far. There are some things in the game that are markedly different and kinda frustrating when you're not used to them, like how the allies level up their tech tree. In the FMVs the new Soviet premier is kinda boring compared to Nicholas Worth as Romanov in RA2, but is made up for by the new US president. The amount of cleavage among the females is just embarrasing.

Biggest gripe though is the music, Frank made a few good tunes here and there like Hell March 3 but the ingame music is the same old, uninspired filler BGM.

By "the same old uninspired filler bgm" what are you comparing it to? Red Alert 2? Because I thought the music there was not AWESOME but fit in well with the game. As of the game itself, how would you compare it with Red Alert 2? Better? Worse? Or more of the same with prettier graphics?

I would try out the game but...it's riddled with the malware known as SecuROM.

Sucks man because this looks like it'll be one hell of a fun game. I'm surprised not many people have post about it here. Perhaps the whole securom thing has pushed people away from purchasing it. Oh well. I'll enjoy it!

The very fact that most new retail games come with SecuROM is enough to deter me from buying them - which is why I'm looking at Sins of a Solar Empire for my next purchase. (And possibly Demigod after that - which is also published by the same DRM-less company).

RA3 does look at least entertaining, but the fact that it's EA, and that I'm not that hardcore of a fan means that putting up with SecuROM is no where near worth it.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how people find the game I guess.

Wouldn't give a crap about EA. C&C3 was well done despite a minor gripe of being TOO FAR ZOOMED IN. >.<

But as for RA3. It's crap. Just a title released to milk the series to death. Graphics are childishly horrid, almost every thing can go on the water (wtf is the point of that?) and the tech tree isn't really great.

It's like they packed a pile of shit. Slapped some breasts on it and went "OMG OMG OMG YOU MUST BUY, IT'S RED ALERT YO!"

Not happy with my favourite command and conquer series being destroyed like this.

The very fact that most new retail games come with SecuROM is enough to deter me from buying them - which is why I'm looking at Sins of a Solar Empire for my next purchase.

SoaSE is good stuff, it's about as close to "Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The Videogame" I think America will ever get :P

Of course Japan has actual LoGH games, but I'll probably never see them.

The very fact that most new retail games come with SecuROM is enough to deter me from buying them - which is why I'm looking at Sins of a Solar Empire for my next purchase. (And possibly Demigod after that - which is also published by the same DRM-less company).

RA3 does look at least entertaining, but the fact that it's EA, and that I'm not that hardcore of a fan means that putting up with SecuROM is no where near worth it.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how people find the game I guess.

Fallout 3 also doesn't really contain DRM if I remember right as well, although I'm not sure how that is (it just came out I think - I never played any of the Fallouts though).

Though I have waited for this game for a long time I can't say I blame those who will not purchase it. Personally I am happy with the game despite the following:

1) Securom (though I didn't care now since I already had it thanks to F.E.A.R. and Spore)

2) Many people have already encountered this problem (myself included). It turns out that many manuals only printed 19 digits of the serial instead of the 20 required to install the game.

EA's solution:

• Call customer support (who knows how long they'd take to respond considering many having mentioned problem)

or
  • Find the last serial yourself by going through the digits 1-9 and the letters a-z.

I settled for the latter. Unfortunately for me my last digit was W so it took me a pretty damn good while to get it. Despite the right to be pissed, I decided to consider it as a lil mini game just to keep my cool.

3) At the moment, online play will give some people (again myself included) the message "Invalid Serial" because EA or whoever the hell is in charge of the online part of RA3 has yet to update the database or some crap so that it realizes the serial is actually valid. According to a mod at EA forums the problem should be resolved by tomorrow. Here's hoping it is.

Despite the above mentioned crap, the actual game is fun but again I wouldn't blame people for putting it off because I still can't shake the feeling that the Command and Conquer franchise will never be as good as it was when it was in Westwood's hands. EA...grr...

Well apparently EA has fixed the online problem.

As far as the game goes...I really like it, especially Co-op campaign with a friend (not the AI). It really focuses on teamwork. So far I'm playing the soviet campaign and on easy and we're screwing up on what is supposed to be a simple mission. lol

Just a random question out there: Is there anyone who owns C&C3 (and possibly the expansion) able to mention the state of online? Does it exist? Or does it fail horribly like EA.

Not that I'm interested in it, but I'm just curious as to how loyal fans are to EA games, and how far EA actually 'supports' their games.

Just a random question out there: Is there anyone who owns C&C3 (and possibly the expansion) able to mention the state of online? Does it exist? Or does it fail horribly like EA.

Not that I'm interested in it, but I'm just curious as to how loyal fans are to EA games, and how far EA actually 'supports' their games.

You know. I have yet to play either online. Don't know why. Didn't appeal to me or some thing.

One thing that has always deterred me from the CnC series is the stats and weapon behaviour; for example, it takes a tank about 7 shots to kill one infantry (and I remember, when I was playing RA2 just 4 conscripts would be about enough to take out a tank). Is it still like that?

And how are the rushes? Because they were really annoying in the previous games.