Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

I-n-j-i-n

I think the big sell from Rare is that the vehicles are meant to replace the moves-and-transformations concept from the earlier games. For example, rather than having a challenge where you'd use Kazooie's spring-jump, you'd have to build or select a vehicle that could vault up to a certain height. Instead of turning into a bee, you use a helicopter, etc. I'm sorta getting into the idea, actually.

When I first downloaded the demo, I didn't like it very much. After having played my preordered copy (already beaten the original BK on XBLA, by the way. I partially shattered the leaderboards too), I'm liking the game A LOT. Like, my expectations for Nuts and Bolts were extremely low, and now I really like it.

The only solution to this is to actually buy the game. If you didn't like the demo, at least rent it THEN play it; I didn't like the demo but I'm LOVING the retail version. I can't stop making new vehicles! This is just so much fun!

Also, there's more platforming in it than I thought there would be.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my copy of Banjo, and played during 6 hours...

I think... I love this game.

Before getting some aerial stuff, I was building a "stairs"mobile in order to reach some notes.

And when I've thought about creating that stuff, I've realized how awesome is that game.

The game in HD is really beautiful, and the "Danny Elfman's like " music is still amazing ! (the remake of Tresaure Trove Cove from Banjo 1 is really something !!!)

Thanks people, I've followed your feelings, and I'm not disappointed at all :)

Actually, in the "official" reviews, people said we spend too many time building our vehicles... I agree. But in a positive way, because there is so many elements that the only limit to the creation is our imagination.

And about platforming, I must say we still have to jump, walk on ropes, climb, etc...

Sure our two little friends have lost their abilities, but they can indeed use "context sensitive" homemade vehicles in order to fix that. (you can change of vehicle when you want, you just have to pause the game !)

Music regroups all the tunes we knew in N64 episodes, used together in the same tracks, and there are new ones of course, with instruments changing according to the place you are (I don't say the hour of the day because the track is different there)

Now I keep on playing the game, and if I change my mind about something, I'll let you know...

(P.S. : I got the OST (found a link of direct download), if you're interested ^^, I don't know if I can write it here)

I have to admit, I did not technically join the xbox owners club for this game, but it was pretty close. I don't own an xbox, but when I saw the cheapo price on amazon, I picked it up. Fortunately, I am borrowing a friend's xbox, so I can actually play it, but this is the first time I have bought a game for myself when I didn't even own the console that it goes with.

So far in the game I have around 25 jiggies, and I have to admit, I am really enjoying the game, but there are times when I get really bugged. I seem to have a hard time using the guns on vehicles, or using the ammo-less weapons to kill enemies. So on those challenges where you have to defend things... I hate those ones.

I'd probably be a bit further in the game, but the end of the semester seems to have sneaked up on me, and I have to take my finals. Just took the first one today.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally finished the game and got all the jiggies. It was actually kind of painful, but I am kind of anal that way. Getting all the TT trophies was hard because of one challenge in particular. It's one of the ones in the ToT which is somewhat of a rail shooter. I think I spent around 3 or 4 hours on that one at least. Oh well, at least it is finished now. Now I can start school with a clean slate, and won't feel like I need to play that game when I should be doing homework.

So, wait, they did fix it? One of the reasons I haven't picked up this game yet was because the tiny tiny text annoyed the ever-living hell out of me. If they made it readable then it'll have to go back on the "pick it up if you see it for cheap" list.

Then go pick it up! I need to play this some more myself but I've been busy with WarTech: Senko no Ronde.

Yes, the text is fixed.

I also found the Saucer of Peril challenge to be one of the hardest in the game, especially it's TT trophy. And it's not because it was legitimately difficult (it was only legitimately semi-difficult). The controls were far too sensitive, causing me to screw up with even tiny touches to the control stick. It's something Rare could've afforded to fine-tune before release. Oh well, it was only a moderate headache, and now I've got that game completely finished, minus some multiplayer achievements that I'll never have the dedication to get.

• 3 weeks later...

This game is great. Half the fun is just making crazy vehicles and seeing how they perform. I'm not a big fan of the more enclosed levels; Nutty Acres and the Jiggoseum are my favorites. I loved the exploration aspect of the N64 titles, so I was having second thoughts about the new vehicle mechanics at first. Some of the challenges seem pretty forced, but others are awesome (the Grunty pool ball one!).

So on those challenges where you have to defend things... I hate those ones.

I did too, until I played the one where you have to defend the statue in Nutty Acres. I created this huge flying box with the bottom cut out of it and guns, springs, and spikes sticking into the air. I knocked over the statue, then landed on top of it, using weapons wildly. Pretty awesome. :<

This game is great. Half the fun is just making crazy vehicles and seeing how they perform. I'm not a big fan of the more enclosed levels; Nutty Acres and the Jiggoseum are my favorites. I loved the exploration aspect of the N64 titles, so I was having second thoughts about the new vehicle mechanics at first. Some of the challenges seem pretty forced, but others are awesome (the Grunty pool ball one!).

I did too, until I played the one where you have to defend the statue in Nutty Acres. I created this huge flying box with the bottom cut out of it and guns, springs, and spikes sticking into the air. I knocked over the statue, then landed on top of it, using weapons wildly. Pretty awesome. :<

So THAT's how you get through that annoying Nutty Acres mission. Weapon box, eh? Interesting idea.

And yeah...that Grunty Pool fight was just awesome.

The game is just extremely creative...it just lost some of that Banjo magic with creative worlds and the sense of discovery. The main levels should've been structured more like Showdown Town, where the game shines with creativity and some of the classic Banjo mojo.

http://www.projectcoe.com/microsoft/games/banjo_nuts.html?var1=sc3

Pimping my full written review and the site I write for. :P