Windows 7

zircon

I am definitely liking the feature where you click and shake a window to minimize every other window. I have the mouse gestures addon for firefox to open/close/minimize/switch tabs, and I love it. I hope W7 has other things you can do with the mouse such as that, or at least a way to create your own.

i'm surprised no one's pointed this out, but the public beta starts tomorrow (the 9th). it's a free download, open to all - the first 2.5 million downloads get a key to allow them to use it past the 30-day deadline for registration that the beta has.

So for the first 2.5M users, how long do they get to use it? Until it goes to retail?

i'm surprised no one's pointed this out, but the public beta starts tomorrow (the 9th). it's a free download, open to all - the first 2.5 million downloads get a key to allow them to use it past the 30-day deadline for registration that the beta has.

this is a different build than the 7000 beta available on bittorrent, and you should all get it. this is really looking good - it beat vista and xp on 21 of 23 real-world tests...by a LOT. it boots in 30 seconds =)

BRAD!!! Don't tell them! Keep it to ourselves. We'll download all 2.5 million copies...and then we'll RULE THE WORLD!!!! MUAHAHAHA!

*cough* Oh, sorry, no, I had no malicious intent there whatsoever. Anyway, yeah, I'm looking forward to the public beta greatly. Should make for a night almost as exciting as new years....not really.

When people get it, please post some experiences.

Oh, and here are some more infos on the beta.

It is open beta for the first 2.5 million, as has been said before, and the keys are said to work until August 1st, 2009. There will be builds of both 32-bit and 64-bit. The languages are limited to English, German, Russian, and I think Japanese, Spanish and maybe French. Downloadable as .iso's, burnable to DVD.

From reactions I've read online, some things will not install (one site mentioned Adobe CS3 not installing on it), but it looks to be an extremely stable beta. I'm glad Microsoft got themselves back in gear with the QA and testing of these builds. Let's hope the community as a whole can get over whatever stigma there may be with Vista and that Windows 7 becomes, to Vista, as XP was to ME.

i'm curious if they're going to allow you to dl both the 32-bit and 64-bit, or if your key will work for both, or what. because i'd want to try out both, even if i wind up going with 64 (gotta use that last 512 megs of ram, you know?).

what xp was to you? :<

Nonono. What Windows XP was to Windows Millenium Edition (ME). And I'm gonna grab the 64 bit first, I can live without 32-bit beta software that probably wont support my desired 32-bit software anyway. And yes, I need to squeeze out my memory to the limit.:tomatoface:

Well I gave it a try on my MacBook using Parallels and I advise people to don't :/ Kinda gimped really, didn't have aero functionality, didn't have sound and froze when I wanted to open pics. Other than that I lked what I saw. Sucks I can't create a new Boot Camp partition without erasing my old one ; ;

what the hell. i finally gave in and got vista less than 2 months ago, and now a new windows is coming out? so basically instead of fixing all the problems vista has, microsoft is gonna crap out another OS for us to buy! awesome.

and they wonder why their shit gets pirated :|

I doubt they wonder. Besides, each person that pirates the beta now is just another potential customer later when it's actually released.

I think I'll pirate the beta if I don't get in to the open beta later today. I've got a Linux partition on my desktop that I've not logged in to in probably eight months now.

... and after Fable Lost Chapters is done downloading. >.>

I doubt they wonder. Besides, each person that pirates the beta now is just another potential customer later when it's actually released.

I think I'll pirate the beta if I don't get in to the open beta later today. I've got a Linux partition on my desktop that I've not logged in to in probably eight months now.

... and after Fable Lost Chapters is done downloading. >.>

Notice a pattern of crappiness though? I started with 3.1, which was indescribably difficult to navigate, but considering I was under the age of 10 (I think I was 6 or 7?), I did alright. Then Windows 95 came out, and was...just...awful. Barely ran on my computer, and had no way to utilize any of what they considered eye-candy in that day (even my educational games barely ran). Then Windows 98 came out, and turned into a relatively stable OS (for the time and besides DLL hell): it ran quick-ish, ran all my games, and actually allowed me some music, video, and downloading endulgence. Then ME came out, and introduced a ton of new features (as 95 did after 3.1) but did not function at all in the intended ways. They refined it and changed the core, still including a ton of the new features from ME, and came out with XP shortly after. Then a long time and Vista finally rears its ugly head, introducing new features but being a total resource hog and being very un-user friendly, for typical AND power users. Albeit it grew on my after a while, but program incompatibility and a number of quirks prevented me from ever considering it a "primary OS candidate". Now, shortly after Vista came out, a new revision including mostly Vista features (a few new tweaks and additions) but being much more cleaned up is on its way. I can't help but feel that I paid to be part of some customer beta with Vista's final product.

They need to come out with great, or at least usable, products consistently, instead of coming out with crap followed by the real deal. More activities like this could eventually lead to a Linux-leading software industry...not likely, but I'm starting to lose my patience.

Notice a pattern of crappiness though? I started with 3.1, which was indescribably difficult to navigate, but considering I was under the age of 10 (I think I was 6 or 7?), I did alright. Then Windows 95 came out, and was...just...awful. Barely ran on my computer, and had no way to utilize any of what they considered eye-candy in that day (even my educational games barely ran). Then Windows 98 came out, and turned into a relatively stable OS (for the time and besides DLL hell): it ran quick-ish, ran all my games, and actually allowed me some music, video, and downloading endulgence. Then ME came out, and introduced a ton of new features (as 95 did after 3.1) but did not function at all in the intended ways. They refined it and changed the core, still including a ton of the new features from ME, and came out with XP shortly after. Then a long time and Vista finally rears its ugly head, introducing new features but being a total resource hog and being very un-user friendly, for typical AND power users. Albeit it grew on my after a while, but program incompatibility and a number of quirks prevented me from ever considering it a "primary OS candidate". Now, shortly after Vista came out, a new revision including mostly Vista features (a few new tweaks and additions) but being much more cleaned up is on its way. I can't help but feel that I paid to be part of some customer beta with Vista's final product.

They need to come out with great, or at least usable, products consistently, instead of coming out with crap followed by the real deal. More activities like this could eventually lead to a Linux-leading software industry...not likely, but I'm starting to lose my patience.

You forgot to mention Windows 2000 in that mix, which was an incredibly stable, well-working OS, at least based on my 4-5 years of using it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

The server is kinda jacked up right now, though.

Oh yeah, downloads DEFINITELY under heavy load right now. I'm at work anyway, so I can't get it. Someone on here do me the favor of at least holding onto the ISO in case I get home too late to get it later today, please? Y'all rock!

Oh yeah, downloads DEFINITELY under heavy load right now. I'm at work anyway, so I can't get it. Someone on here do me the favor of at least holding onto the ISO in case I get home too late to get it later today, please? Y'all rock!

The ISO isn't a problem.. that'll be all over torrent sites, if it isn't already up. It's the 2.5 million beta keys that will run out, and they could very possibly be out already.

The ISO isn't a problem.. that'll be all over torrent sites, if it isn't already up. It's the 2.5 million beta keys that will run out, and they could very possibly be out already.

I know, but I'm more interested in even the 30-day trial on a spare partition even if I dont get a key, because I reinstall OSes all the time. I'm used to keeping stuff separated, and honestly am also interested in how stable it can be while I deliberately handly it terribly in some cases. True to the idea of beta testing, I guess. Yeah, I think they'll run out of those keys VERY quickly, but doubt they are out just yet.

I know, but I'm more interested in even the 30-day trial on a spare partition even if I dont get a key, because I reinstall OSes all the time. I'm used to keeping stuff separated, and honestly am also interested in how stable it can be while I deliberately handly it terribly in some cases. True to the idea of beta testing, I guess. Yeah, I think they'll run out of those keys VERY quickly, but doubt they are out just yet.

Couldn't you presumably just grab a key whenever they're up, and then download the iso later if you're so worried?

Couldn't you presumably just grab a key whenever they're up, and then download the iso later if you're so worried?

Yeah, but the way they worded it, it seemed like the download might be taken down after the keys run out. Regardless, I think I'm safe, and thanks to Majin GeoDooD and Brad for their quick posting on this. I think I just registered for the beta program while trying to download, but we shall see...keep you all up to date with where it goes, servers are so slow ATM.

On the download page:

These are the Microsoft minimum hardware recommendations for systems that will be running the Windows 7 Beta. These recommendations are specific to the beta release and are subject to change:

* Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor

* Memory: 1 GB of system memory

* Hard drive: 16 GB of available disk space

* Video card: Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB memory (in order to enable Aero theme)

* Drive: DVD-R/W drive

* Internet connection (to download the Beta and get updates)