Windows 7

zircon

the damn site is basically tanked. i started hitting reload about four hours ago and i still haven't gotten through.

all i care about is a key, or a hack that'll let me use it without an issue. grr...

Four....Hours....Ago? Bajeezus! To quote another person on the forums, Microsoft basically created a DDoS on themselves with this key cap....

the damn site is basically tanked. i started hitting reload about four hours ago and i still haven't gotten through.

all i care about is a key, or a hack that'll let me use it without an issue. grr...

AFAIK it should still work for 30 days, you just need the key to use it past that 30 days; without cracking it of course.

I just got this:

Verify Ownership of your E-mail Address

To better protect your privacy, Microsoft requires that you verify ownership of your e-mail address prior to sending you information.

Your e-mail address: wesley.cho@gmail.com

Instructions: An e-mail message has successfully been sent to your inbox. To complete the process follow the instructions below.

1. Go to your inbox at the address above.
  2. Open the verification message from 'Microsoft' with the subject line 'Verification E-Mail'.
  3. Click the link in the body of the e-mail or follow the instructions.

Note: If you close this browser window before completing the verification process, you may also be asked to sign in with your Windows Live™ ID.

Trouble Shooting: If you have trouble receiving your Inbox Verification E-mail, try the following:

Wrong Address

Make sure that you have typed in the correct e-mail address (displayed above). You may correct any mistakes by returning to the Profile Center and editing your e-mail address.

Junk Mail Filter

Make sure that the Verification E-mail did not get filtered into the junk mail folder of your e-mail application.

Blocked by ISP

In some cases e-mails may be accidentally blocked by anti-spam technology used by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Contact your ISP and ask them if they are blocking e-mail sent by 'Microsoft'.

Contact Us

If you are still unable to receive the Verification E-mail after three attempts, Contact Us

Oh, this is wonderful:

Error

The site is currently experiencing technical difficulties, please check back in the next business day.

Thats what I got once I finally got past the Live login screen.

I'm getting that after I verified my email address.

I got my e-mail verified, only to get the same error screen as Level 99. :(

Okay, so I think I have this figured out, and it's good news (hopefully):

Let us assume that, for the moment, Microsoft is smarter that I originally gave credit for, and that they have the links in place for downloading but haven't unleashed the beta key phase to non technet-pro subscribers (reinforced by the fact that on the first page links it has a specific link for those users). Therefore, they have all the links in place but haven't activated the site that generates the keys for registered users. This explains why, now, I'm having low refresh times on the error but still getting an error.

It should break down to the following: Microsoft opens registration in the afternoon for Beta keys (sometime after 3 PM eastern time, 12 PM for the west coasters :tomatoface:), so all us who registered and did that email stuff are at the closest steps to getting the keys once unleashed.

Keep refreshing the error page saying to come back the next business day, AND keep checking the windows 7 main page. It shouldn't be too much longer people!!!

Okay, so I think I have this figured out, and it's good news (hopefully):

Let us assume that, for the moment, Microsoft is smarter that I originally gave credit for, and that they have the links in place for downloading but haven't unleashed the beta key phase to non technet-pro subscribers (reinforced by the fact that on the first page links it has a specific link for those users). Therefore, they have all the links in place but haven't activated the site that generates the keys for registered users. This explains why, now, I'm having low refresh times on the error but still getting an error.

It should break down to the following: Microsoft opens registration in the afternoon for Beta keys (sometime after 3 PM eastern time, 12 PM for the west coasters :tomatoface:), so all us who registered and did that email stuff are at the closest steps to getting the keys once unleashed.

Keep refreshing the error page saying to come back the next business day, AND keep checking the windows 7 main page. It shouldn't be too much longer people!!!

I came to the same conclusion too...I hope this is the case.

I came to the same conclusion too...I hope this is the case.

Great minds think alike!

Oh, Bahamut! You know, I didn't realize you were you at MAGfest until I got back from MAGfest! I would've loved to have hung out with ya more, but next year for sure.

Also, I overlooked this: they talk about something like "if you want to test this for gaming, you might need a more powerful computer". Whenever someone gets this beta up, do a dxdiag (hopefully they kept that) and see what version of directx comes with it. I'm going to test steam and some games on it once I get this stuff up and running!

Great minds think alike!

Oh, Bahamut! You know, I didn't realize you were you at MAGfest until I got back from MAGfest! I would've loved to have hung out with ya more, but next year for sure.

Also, I overlooked this: they talk about something like "if you want to test this for gaming, you might need a more powerful computer". Whenever someone gets this beta up, do a dxdiag (hopefully they kept that) and see what version of directx comes with it. I'm going to test steam and some games on it once I get this stuff up and running!

It had better support DX9 still -- otherwise I'll be pissed, as I don't have the cash to upgrade my graphics card right now.

Yeah man, I watched you all gang up on Brad in Settlers on Friday night (I think?). Hopefully I will get to hang out with you and others some more at MAG this year, I missed a lot of people this time around just because there were so many.

Edit: Here's the Windows 7 64 bit iso: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/3/3/633118BD-6C3D-45A4-B985-F0FDFFE1B021/EN/7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.ISO

32 bit iso: http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/3/3/633118BD-6C3D-45A4-B985-F0FDFFE1B021/EN/7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso

Something that should be read before playing mp3s: http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/09/windows-7-public-beta-released-remember-to-patch

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd353205.aspx

The server is kinda jacked up right now, though.

So, I may be somewhat stupid here, but I have been trying to even find the place to request a key code, but have been unable to. I do find something that looks like I might be able to find a key, but it gives me a message saying that I don't have rights to get a key code. Does that mean that it's too late to get a code? I have been trying to get this done for about 30 minutes now. I don't care particularly for the iso download quite yet, but I would like one of these keys.

When I click on the link you gave there, it brings me to a page that says "Windows 7 beta Coming soon!" From there I was able to get to a few other places which looked like I might be able to start requesting things, but I have not been able to find the actual page where you log in with your windows live ID, and then request the key. Kind of boggling here.

Edit: oops, didn't see that last post

The keys are up - after you verify your email address, you can get your key here: https://www.microsoft.com/betaexperience/productkeys/win7-64/enus/default.aspx

Thanks for the link dude, but Microsoft is bullshitting us. That link gives a "page not found" error, and here's what it says on the Windows 7 site:

Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal—we're in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We're sorry for the delay and we'll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.

Well, this is a nice fuck-you-we-didn't-adequately-prepare-for-the-world-actually-wanting-a-trial-of-a-good-new-windows-beta message.

Thanks for the link dude, but Microsoft is bullshitting us. That link gives a "page not found" error, and here's what it says on the Windows 7 site:

Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal—we're in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We're sorry for the delay and we'll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.

Well, this is a nice fuck-you-we-didn't-adequately-prepare-for-the-world-actually-wanting-a-trial-of-a-good-new-windows-beta message.

Ha, well I'm about to upgrade to Windows 7 beta WITH my beta key :razz: .

seriously. 8 million people downloaded mozilla 3 the first day - did they honestly think no one would get in on this?