Windows 7

zircon

dx11 is some crap that nvidia's pushing so that when it has it and everyone's got those dx10.1 cards that they bought when ati was the rage, they'll get pissed. at current it's not even a finalized standard yet, it's still be worked out. it won't be available for w7's release.

wikipedia!

I may be grossly misinformed, but DirectX 11 is a Microsoft graphics API that will be available for Windows Vista (SP2-ish) and Windows 7. The new DirectX will include all the features from DirectX 10.1 and those DX10 features will run on both DX10 and DX11 video cards. DX11 will also include several new features, some which are said to be compatible with DX10 cards, well others, will not. However, from what I have seen of the feature list, its not a big deal.

Got my key and downloaded the beta from the MS site. Unforunately vista's partition program is shit. So now I have to defrag and then run Gparted to make a new partition to install this on. Fuck I hate waiting longer.

seriously. 8 million people downloaded mozilla 3 the first day - did they honestly think no one would get in on this?

There is a huge difference between a 10 meg file and a 3.2 gig iso. Plus free windows beta being plastered all over digg/slick deals/fatwallet/every forum around gathers more attention that firefox ever hopes to have. Plus firefox didn't limit key usage for its program to 2.5 million.

I was tempted to try this, despite never being one for beta testing OSes. But the 32bit file size (3+ GB? Damn...), coupled with my XP being an OEM version, pulled me back to reality. I had too may questions in my head, and since I know OEM OSes don't get the same treatment as full-on purchased ones, I figured I'd leave well enough alone.

Is it performing any faster than Vista was?

What are your favorite things about the new interface?

It's performing about the same speed - some programs open a bit faster, and it takes about half as much time to boot up as Vista did.

The new interface - wow. Basically, the Quick Launch and Taskbar ideas have been fused together. Now you have one little square-icon thing for each program open - clicking that icon opens all windows associated with that program (all chat windows, Steam windows, etc). You can also right click and select the option of permanently pinning the program there, making it a Quick Launch program.

Other than that little bit of awesome, the interface overall looks cleaner, is easier to navigate, and (from what I've heard) actually takes a bit less memory to look good than Vista's interface does.

I was tempted to try this, despite never being one for beta testing OSes. But the 32bit file size (3+ GB? Damn...), coupled with my XP being an OEM version, pulled me back to reality. I had too may questions in my head, and since I know OEM OSes don't get the same treatment as full-on purchased ones, I figured I'd leave well enough alone.

Could always try dual booting XP and 7 or pick up the free VMware gsx/esx? server and install it on that. And if you are worried about not being able to reinstall XP OEM, as long as its the same computer same user, it will work, even if it requires a quick call to MS to activate.

Left 4 Dead seems to be having some framerate issues. It's still playable, but I had to scale the graphics back a bit, and my framerate feels like a console framerate instead of a smooth PC game. Anyone know if there's some sort of fix for Nvidia cards? I installed the W7 drivers via the automatic update tool. Oh, and I'm running the x64 version.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have a Creative X-Fi sound card, which apparently isn't well supported in the new OS. That could be the problem, but changing it out may be more trouble than it's worth...

Left 4 Dead seems to be having some framerate issues. It's still playable, but I had to scale the graphics back a bit, and my framerate feels like a console framerate instead of a smooth PC game. Anyone know if there's some sort of fix for Nvidia cards? I installed the W7 drivers via the automatic update tool. Oh, and I'm running the x64 version.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have a Creative X-Fi sound card, which apparently isn't well supported in the new OS. That could be the problem, but changing it out may be more trouble than it's worth...

did you get the newest drivers from nvidia's website? it could just be because it's a new os, and they haven't optimized it yet.

did you get the newest drivers from nvidia's website? it could just be because it's a new os, and they haven't optimized it yet.

According to nVidia's site the only way to get beta drivers for 7 is through Windows Update. As soon as they release new drivers everyone should get them through WU, which is kinda nifty.