Windows 7

zircon

Have to say I'm liking 7 so far, might actually hold off on going completely linux and leave it dual booted like I normally do. Probably has something to do with it feeling a lot like kde.

Gives me a few issues over older games, but most are fixable. Just wish I could get UT3 working on it.

no excuse, man, 4 gigs of ram is 70$. hell, you can get a 2gb stick of ddr2 800 ram for 35 dollars at newegg. no excuse.

Well I have a 5 year old Compaq laptop and as far as I know it can only take a 512 meg stick in it's expansion slot (or maybe another gig, I'm not sure). I got a 512 meg stick of the correct RAM, stuck it in there, but when I start up the computer with it there it won't even load up my BIOS. It just hangs. I just said fuck it and yanked it out of there and tossed the RAM in a box somewhere, but if you guys have any bright ideas I'd be glad to hear them. As far as I know it's the correct RAM. Might have gotten a bad stick but it was sent over from the states as a gift so it was too much of a hassle to try and exchange.

Have to say I'm liking 7 so far, might actually hold off on going completely linux and leave it dual booted like I normally do. Probably has something to do with it feeling a lot like kde.

Gives me a few issues over older games, but most are fixable. Just wish I could get UT3 working on it.

Me and my roomie got UT3 working on our 7 64-bit beta's. What's the problem you're having?

Me and my roomie got UT3 working on our 7 64-bit beta's. What's the problem you're having?

Tends to crash within the first few minutes of a match, been fiddling with compatibility and it hasn't done much good thus far. It's possible that it could be steam messing with it as it occasionally does with third party games.

I'll have to keep playing around with it.

you need at least a p4 3ghz (preferably a decent core 2 or athlon x2) with at least a gig of ram to run on, and you need at least a basic video card with at least 256mb of ram for aero to run on. preferably you'd get at least a 2.6ghz dual-core processor, 2gb of ram, and a standard graphics card with at least 512mb to run smoothly on.

steam doesn't play well with w7, as far as i've seen.

I'm starting to think it's more with the video driver libraries in 7 so far, many of my steam games run as well or sometimes better than when I was on vista with them, but there are the odd games that seem to have rendering problems that were never there before. Lot's of flickering screens, even xbmc seems to have issues with it which is disappointing, xbmc is my preferred media center.

It's also still in beta though, so for all I know it'll be fixed by the time win7 goes gold.

dosbox on w7...? there's a point where retro gaming just requires it's own crap-puter. get an old laptop and put 98se on it =)

Haha, that's what I usually do. It's just that when I bought the id collection on steam it came it all of their games, including wolfenstein 3d, the original quake and doom.

I was amused to find out they just gave me rom dumps and a copy of dosbox that launches from steam for them. Sadly enough, I've been playing the original doom more than any of the new games I have including fallout 3 and left 4 dead. Interestingly vista ran dos games with no issues, 7 just has flickering screens for them.

• 1 month later...

Microsoft is allowing programs to be disabled with Windows 7.

Testers had noticed that users of recent Windows 7 builds could turn off the Web browser, in addition to many other things that were already part of a "Windows Features" dialog box. Microsoft noted that there are a number of things that users could not turn off in Windows Vista, but will be able to in the final version of Windows 7. Among the new options, users will now be able to turn off things such as Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, Windows Search, the XPS Viewer and several others.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10190909-56.html