Gradual Cymbal sound

Those are easily achieved by taking a crash cymbal sample and reversing it, if you want the crash at the end then just play the un-reversed sound right after the reversed one. Not sure if it really has a name though, I'd call it a reverse cymbal. Good luck!

EDIT: Argh, tensai beat me to it. :nicework:

yeah hes talking about is a cymbal roll with felt mallet thingys with another, seperate, crash at the end.

a reversed cymbal crash? come on now

i want to hear it in a mix. now.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=g-V0fOvAv_0

The sound right at the start is a reversed crash cymbal and could very well be what he's talking about, so don't be a smartass about stuff like this. >=|

A typical reverse cymbal will always start soft then increase in volume since it's a crash cymbal played backwards, which is physically impossible and is therefore sampled. The release is immediate.

A suspended cymbal is a real instrument that can be controlled 100% by the player. It can roll soft and go loud, it can stay soft, it can be loud immediately, it can be choked to make a short attack, whatever the player needs it to do. Rolls are usually accomplished with two soft mallets to hide as much of the attacks as possible, making it sound like one continuous sound, hence "suspended". The release can also be immediate by choking it, but the player can also allow it to decay naturally.

Yeah, the video is a reversed sample. A suspended cymbal is just a cymbal that's not on a floor stand but mounted on a rack. It has little to do with the sound, though it does allow for a few extra techniques, which is what you're really asking about. What you're looking for is a technique called a cymbal swell (like the sound swelling up). It's done like tensei said, quick low velocity hits to the cymbal which increase in velocity up to when you hit it hard for a crash. In sampled form, the best way to do this is on a keyboard, programming swells with a mouse is tough since there's no natural progression in timing and velocity.

Don't think about it in even divisions of time, steady 16th notes will sound fake. A swell is embellished by feel, so you really need to work hard at making it sound authentic if programming with a mouse. Sure, a reversed cymbal can give you a similar effect, but it's clearly a reversed cymbal, so make sure you know exactly what style of sound you want and then go for it.

Don't use a reverse cymbal instead of a roll, please. I hate it when people do that. It sounds so fake. Only do that if that is the sound you really want.

A suspended cymbal is any cymbal on a stand instead of hand held. Rides, splashes and chinas fall into that category, though it usually refers to an orchestral crash on a stand.

http://www.sonivoxmi.com/FreeSamplesPage.asp <- The sonic implants free stuff page. The cymbal rolls are about 3/4 the way down.

Be careful with sampled cymbal rolls, they will not always match the tempo of your song, so don't be surprised if you have to adjust the note start time.

GPO has one of the best handling of cymbal rolls I have seen. You can use the mod wheel to control the roll, so you can fine-tune where it breaks.